Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Blue Garuda

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Blue Garuda »

Great to click on the webcast page and see an explanation of the topic and link to the relevant publication.

Well done to the webcast team. :)

It also means we don't need to discuss a closed webcast topic here. ;)
Left
magnagei

Post by magnagei »

CrawfordHollow wrote:Hi all, I was reading through some old posts concerning the various six lokas practices. This is a practice that I am interested in starting right away. I missed the last day of this past retreat where Rinpoche gave a the Longsal Six Lokas lung. I have recieved transmission in the past for a practice simply called six lokas, dzogchen style. What practice does this authorize me to do?

Thanks, Troy
Probably the version in the Rushans and Semdzins/Precious Vase book. They are the same I believe, though the Rushans and Semdzins book has a better explanation. I'm guessing it also allows practice of the one in the collective practices booklet. However there is no explanation in this booklet. If you want an explanation, get the six lokas cd. I also very much enjoy doing the practice along with Rinpoche.

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... vlhvs250f1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pero

Post by Pero »

magnagei wrote:
CrawfordHollow wrote:Hi all, I was reading through some old posts concerning the various six lokas practices. This is a practice that I am interested in starting right away. I missed the last day of this past retreat where Rinpoche gave a the Longsal Six Lokas lung. I have recieved transmission in the past for a practice simply called six lokas, dzogchen style. What practice does this authorize me to do?

Thanks, Troy
Probably the version in the Rushans and Semdzins/Precious Vase book. They are the same I believe, though the Rushans and Semdzins book has a better explanation. I'm guessing it also allows practice of the one in the collective practices booklet. However there is no explanation in this booklet. If you want an explanation, get the six lokas cd. I also very much enjoy doing the practice along with Rinpoche.

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... vlhvs250f1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah you can do that version or what is in the collective practices booklet (the lung is actually for this). You can also do the Longsal version, you don't need a separate lung for it.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
CrawfordHollow

Post by CrawfordHollow »

Thanks, guys!
magnagei

Post by magnagei »

You don't need a lung for the longsal one? Then why did Rinpoche give that specifically saying "Alot of people have been asking for the lung for this." I may be mistaken.

What about the self-liberation of six lokas, the one with positions, does Rinpoche give lung for this separately?

EDIT: By Longsal do you mean Vajrasattva, because from what I can tell any six lokas practice I have seen written down comes from the Longsal cycle.
Pero

Post by Pero »

magnagei wrote:You don't need a lung for the longsal one? Then why did Rinpoche give that specifically saying "Alot of people have been asking for the lung for this." I may be mistaken.
He gave it because a lot of people have been asking for it. :rolling:
Seriously, that's only a half-joke, because it's true. People ask for the lung but I have heard him say in the past that you don't need a separate one besides the one he usually gives. And also years back I remember a vajra bro on E-Sangha saying he emailed him about it and he said you can do the Longsal one with just the lung he gives at the end of retreats. He gives it anyway because people ask him to. And hey, it sure doesn't hurt to receive it.
EDIT: By Longsal do you mean Vajrasattva, because from what I can tell any six lokas practice I have seen written down comes from the Longsal cycle.
Yes, sorry I didn't specify. I actually mean that one always with "Longsal Po6L", if I meant another one I would've specified.

edit: Oh yeah, the one in the Precious Vase and the booklet on Rushens or the one on Ngondro are not from Longsal.
What about the self-liberation of six lokas, the one with positions, does Rinpoche give lung for this separately?
Don't know, never heard him give it. Maybe you don't need a lung for it, just instruction on how to do it. There's a booklet on it, perhaps it's clear enough, I don't remember. It requires the ability and knowledge of how to do kumbhaka however.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
florin

Post by florin »

Pero wrote:
alpha wrote:Can someone say what ati nazer is and what longsal volume is it in?
Pero wrote: Main points of Ati. It's a short text on the main points of ati (view, meditation etc.), just one page. However, Rinpoche made a commentary on it so I think he's going to teach from that as he already has some time ago. Part of it for example is an explanation of the semdzins.
(and lol, you posted right after my post there)

It's in Longsal volume 7. Rinpoche gave this teaching once already this year but I don't remember when. In any case it's a great teaching. A bit more like first you do this then you do that etc. if I remember right.

edit: There is now actually a description of it on the webcast site.
thanks Pero :smile:
underthetree

Post by underthetree »

Apologies in advance, because this is basic and I'm sure this has been asked many, many times before (couldn't find the answer by searching, though...) BUT:

Is the Guruyoga of the White A written down anywhere? I received it in a transmission last year but I'm worried that the whole thing is very muddled in my recollection...
Andrew108

Post by Andrew108 »

It's in the commentary on the short tun. Plus there is a download able e-book on guru yoga. It's also mentioned in other books and commentaries.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Andrew108 wrote:It's in the commentary on the short tun. Plus there is a download able e-book on guru yoga. It's also mentioned in other books and commentaries.
and this:
http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=296" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
underthetree

Post by underthetree »

Brilliant - thanks immensely.
magnagei

Post by magnagei »

Depends what you mean by Guruyoga of the white Ah. The CD Jikan posted is really for the invocation of Garab Dorje, which is a great practice, IMO. However, If you are referring to the "ultrashort" practice, the newish Guruyoga book is probably the best source of information. In fact if you are a new practitioner I would highly recommend the red Guruyoga book.

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=539" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pawel

Post by pawel »

Pero wrote: It's in Longsal volume 7. Rinpoche gave this teaching once already this year but I don't remember when. In any case it's a great teaching. A bit more like first you do this then you do that etc. if I remember right.
After the Tokyo retreat, if I remember well (or right before). Rinpoche also gave this teaching right last time He was in Merigar East (year ago).
underthetree

Post by underthetree »

magnagei wrote:Depends what you mean by Guruyoga of the white Ah. The CD Jikan posted is really for the invocation of Garab Dorje, which is a great practice, IMO. However, If you are referring to the "ultrashort" practice, the newish Guruyoga book is probably the best source of information. In fact if you are a new practitioner I would highly recommend the red Guruyoga book.

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=539" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I went to buy it but it's restricted - in fact all the guruyoga materials are restricted. And I can't join DC for at least another two months (££ woes). So it looks like a hiatus. Oh, well...
magnagei

Post by magnagei »

I've bought books from Shang Shung without being a member but had received transmission. I think that is the main point that you have received transmission. I don't know if they have become strict about being a member first, but Rinpoche is very kind and understanding of our financial situations. I think if you have received transmission and want to start practicing it would be better to get a practice or two and then when you are able to, join the DC.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

underthetree wrote:
magnagei wrote:Depends what you mean by Guruyoga of the white Ah. The CD Jikan posted is really for the invocation of Garab Dorje, which is a great practice, IMO. However, If you are referring to the "ultrashort" practice, the newish Guruyoga book is probably the best source of information. In fact if you are a new practitioner I would highly recommend the red Guruyoga book.

I went to buy it but it's restricted - in fact all the guruyoga materials are restricted. And I can't join DC for at least another two months (££ woes). So it looks like a hiatus. Oh, well...
I think membership is around £3 a month if you are short of cash. You could maybe do that and pay the full rate when circumstances allow.
Left
Sally Gross

Post by Sally Gross »

pawel wrote:
Pero wrote: It's in Longsal volume 7. Rinpoche gave this teaching once already this year but I don't remember when. In any case it's a great teaching. A bit more like first you do this then you do that etc. if I remember right.
After the Tokyo retreat, if I remember well (or right before). Rinpoche also gave this teaching right last time He was in Merigar East (year ago).
Hawaii earlier this year, in an open series of webcasts.
Dukkham eva hi, na koci dukkhito,
kaarako na, kiriyaa va vijjati,
atthi nibbuti, na nibbuto pumaa,
maggam atthi, gamako na vijjati

Suffering there certainly is, but no sufferer,
no doer, though certainly the deed is found.
peace is achieved, but no-one's appeased,
the way is walked, but no walker's to be found.

- Visuddhimagga XVI, 90
underthetree

Post by underthetree »

Blue Garuda wrote:
underthetree wrote:

I think membership is around £3 a month if you are short of cash. You could maybe do that and pay the full rate when circumstances allow.
Sorted. Thanks, Blue Garuda.
Pero

Post by Pero »

You should know that if you get a membership during the year it will only last till the end of that year. You'll have to renew it in the first few months of the next year.
- Shabkar
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Pero wrote:You should know that if you get a membership during the year it will only last till the end of that year. You'll have to renew it in the first few months of the next year.
It depends, it may work case by case (when you approach the end of the year) ... you can discuss it!

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -

Return to “Dzogchen”