Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

LolCat

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by LolCat »

I will soon be living in a situation where I won't have much solitude to myself. Are practices like Song of Vajra effective even without singing them out loud? What happens if you skip the mudras in practices and do them entirely in your head?
Jbaca

Post by Jbaca »

Is There some kind of Glossary that helps to explain the terminology? I did see CNNR perform ATI but can someone supply a practice context? I will be attending WWT form Orange County California so if anyone is near Id love to meet up or at least chat.
Garudavista

Post by Garudavista »

I attended ChNN's 2012 NYC retreat but I did not write down the lungs he transmitted for that retreat. If anyone one did document the lungs he gave at that retreat, please reply or PM me with a list of what he transmitted.

Thanks.
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

LolCat wrote:I will soon be living in a situation where I won't have much solitude to myself. Are practices like Song of Vajra effective even without singing them out loud? What happens if you skip the mudras in practices and do them entirely in your head?
You can sing SOV quietly, or if you don't sing it out loud you can sing it in your head, important part is resting in your nature. Mudras are done with the hands, and usually aren't done in your mind although it could be that way, once again, resting in your nature is the important part, the mudras integrate "body" into the practice... but it's not 100% necessary, for instance, when Dzogchen masters were locked up (are locked up) in prison in Tibet, they practice without any outer sign of practice...you'd never know they were doing practice by looking at them, but they were/are practicing, so dealing with circumstances is important. Hope that helps somewhat since the question has been here a while, maybe several people PM'd you already.
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Jbaca wrote:Is There some kind of Glossary that helps to explain the terminology? I did see CNNR perform ATI but can someone supply a practice context? I will be attending WWT form Orange County California so if anyone is near Id love to meet up or at least chat.
Yes, there is a kind of Glossary, see the Drajyor at the link below, and also see the Mantras and Invocations for Practices:
http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... d=+Drajyor

Yes, the "Ati" which you saw within a practice context is Ati Guru Yoga, so within the practice context you'd want to learn The Guru Yoga of the White AH and Tigle, and also The Song of Vajra.

I am pretty sure you could meet up with members of the community on the West Coast or plan on attending one of the retreats in person with Norbu Rinpoche when he is on the West Coast.
shanehanner

Post by shanehanner »

I live in Orange County and cannot find a local Dzogchen sangha, especially not under chNN. If anyone lives near the area, I would love to get together to discuss some details of practice. If anyone knows a group they can direct me to, that is helpful as well.
GaiaTree

Post by GaiaTree »

Hello Vajra Bro's and Sisters....

I was lucky enough to be working at Tara Mandala during ChNNR's summer retreat, and got to attend the wang for the main practice being taught, and also the multi-lung transmission at the end of the retreat. I got the lung for the Mandarava practice and bought the book from the bookstore here. I am very curious about this Chudlen practice and how to do the associated breathings. is it possible to do the Mandarava practice without the Chudlen part? Also looking for a more in depth explanation of the Ati Guru Yoga as I missed the explanation.

Any info appreciated, PM me if you can help. Tashi Delek.
heart

Post by heart »

GaiaTree wrote:Hello Vajra Bro's and Sisters....

I was lucky enough to be working at Tara Mandala during ChNNR's summer retreat, and got to attend the wang for the main practice being taught, and also the multi-lung transmission at the end of the retreat. I got the lung for the Mandarava practice and bought the book from the bookstore here. I am very curious about this Chudlen practice and how to do the associated breathings. is it possible to do the Mandarava practice without the Chudlen part? Also looking for a more in depth explanation of the Ati Guru Yoga as I missed the explanation.

Any info appreciated, PM me if you can help. Tashi Delek.
Yes, you can do Mandarava without chudlen.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
LolCat

Post by LolCat »

T. Chokyi wrote:
LolCat wrote:I will soon be living in a situation where I won't have much solitude to myself. Are practices like Song of Vajra effective even without singing them out loud? What happens if you skip the mudras in practices and do them entirely in your head?
You can sing SOV quietly, or if you don't sing it out loud you can sing it in your head, important part is resting in your nature. Mudras are done with the hands, and usually aren't done in your mind although it could be that way, once again, resting in your nature is the important part, the mudras integrate "body" into the practice... but it's not 100% necessary, for instance, when Dzogchen masters were locked up (are locked up) in prison in Tibet, they practice without any outer sign of practice...you'd never know they were doing practice by looking at them, but they were/are practicing, so dealing with circumstances is important. Hope that helps somewhat since the question has been here a while, maybe several people PM'd you already.
Yes, I got some other replies as well, thank you! I apologize for the late response, it was due to the transition to the said situation. Its actually pretty great, I get far more solitude than I expected. :D
swooping

Post by swooping »

Hello all,

I am a total newcomer to the dzogchen community, I received the last DI on guru Rinpoche day and have been learning a lot since then.

I have a general and a more specific question that I hope some folks would be willing to help me out with.

The more general question (group of questions) has to to do with semde,longde and upadesha and the rushens and semdzins. I understand that the four yogas of semde are associated with the first statement of Garab Dorje and the Longde series refers to the second statement; I believe that means that trekchod and thogal are related to the third.

How do the Rushens and Semdzins fit into the above, if at all? Are the Rushens for experiencing and the semdzins for not remaining in doubt? Also, are the rushens, semdzins, four yogas and longde something that is generally continued for a lifetime, or until liberation, or are they practiced until getting to a certain place (I know that doesn't sound "non-gradual," but I hope you know what I mean) and then left behind?

The more specific question has to do with the Thuns. I'm wondering if the short Thun as presented in the Thun book is considered more of an outline of a practice, or a specific practice that is not to be altered. For example would it be inappropriate to do the seven line prayer to Padmasambhava followed by his guru yoga in the short thum, or is only using Garab Dorja and the three A's appropriate?
Is the a place in the short then where it would be appropriate to practice a rushed or semdzin meditation?

I really appreciate any answers or thoughts.
Thanks you all so much.
When I look inside and see that I am nothing, that is wisdom When I look outside and see that I am everything,that is love. And between these two, my life turns.
– Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat
- Ben Hecht
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

swooping wrote:
The more general question (group of questions) has to to do with semde,longde and upadesha and the rushens and semdzins. I understand that the four yogas of semde are associated with the first statement of Garab Dorje and the Longde series refers to the second statement; I believe that means that trekchod and thogal are related to the third.
The first statement refers to the basis, the second statement refers to the path and the third statement refers to the result.
How do the Rushens and Semdzins fit into the above, if at all? Are the Rushens for experiencing and the semdzins for not remaining in doubt? Also, are the rushens, semdzins, four yogas and longde something that is generally continued for a lifetime, or until liberation, or are they practiced until getting to a certain place (I know that doesn't sound "non-gradual," but I hope you know what I mean) and then left behind?
Rushan, Semzin, four yogas, Longde, etc., are all connected with the second statement.

For example would it be inappropriate to do the seven line prayer to Padmasambhava followed by his guru yoga in the short thum,
This is the long thun yoga.
or is only using Garab Dorja and the three A's appropriate?
This is the short thun guru yoga. There is also a medium thun Guru Yoga. There is also Ati Guru Yoga.
Is the a place in the short then where it would be appropriate to practice a rushed or semdzin meditation?
After the Dogpa, and before the mantra of authentication.

Or, do Ati Guru Yoga and directly enter those practices.
swooping

Post by swooping »

Malcolm wrote:
swooping wrote:
Rushan, Semzin, four yogas, Longde, etc., are all connected with the second statement.
Ah, Thank you

For example would it be inappropriate to do the seven line prayer to Padmasambhava followed by his guru yoga in the short thum,
This is the long thun yoga.
Right, but the the long thun has a lot of work with the guardians that I have not learned yet. Can it be done without the longer guardian work?
After the Dogpa, and before the mantra of authentication.

Or, do Ati Guru Yoga and directly enter those practices.
Thank you! :-)
When I look inside and see that I am nothing, that is wisdom When I look outside and see that I am everything,that is love. And between these two, my life turns.

- Ben Hecht
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

swooping wrote: Right, but the the long thun has a lot of work with the guardians that I have not learned yet. Can it be done without the longer guardian work?
You can the guru yoga of the long thun without the extensive invocations.
swooping

Post by swooping »

Malcolm wrote:
swooping wrote: Right, but the the long thun has a lot of work with the guardians that I have not learned yet. Can it be done without the longer guardian work?
You can the guru yoga of the long thun without the extensive invocations.
Ah! Thank you very much! :-)

- Ben Hecht
Boomerang

Post by Boomerang »

I just finished listening to the webcast from Singapore. Am I allowed to start practicing guru yoga and the Song of Vajra now? I'm not a member of the Dzogchen Community as of yet (registering today), but want to be on the list ASAP. I always thought you had to be a member first, but is that not even necessary as long as you tune in to one of Rinpoche's public webcasts?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Boomerang wrote:I just finished listening to the webcast from Singapore. Am I allowed to start practicing guru yoga and the Song of Vajra now? I'm not a member of the Dzogchen Community as of yet (registering today), but want to be on the list ASAP. I always thought you had to be a member first, but is that not even necessary as long as you tune in to one of Rinpoche's public webcasts?
If you've had DI and the lung of the SOV then go ahead!
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Boomerang wrote:I just finished listening to the webcast from Singapore. Am I allowed to start practicing guru yoga and the Song of Vajra now? I'm not a member of the Dzogchen Community as of yet (registering today), but want to be on the list ASAP. I always thought you had to be a member first, but is that not even necessary as long as you tune in to one of Rinpoche's public webcasts?
Yes.

Yes, but you won't have access to replay.
chimechodra

Post by chimechodra »

Question: I've been looking at the Lojongs/Rushens/Semdzins books and I'm interested in digging into a couple of these practices, although some of the lojongs require particular understanding with kumbhaka. What is the best way to properly learn kumbhaka so that I don't hurt myself in the process?

Edit: After some more research, it would probably be in my best interest, as Malcolm suggested in another thread, to find an SMS instructor nearby. Do you have to be a DC member to work with an instructor?
Tigersnest

Post by Tigersnest »

You need direct introduction from rinpoche then you are welcome to participate, in Conway mass there will be an ongoing sms base course called "demystifying sms" which will be available through MP3 recording every week, you can register for this through the tsegyalgar website !
chimechodra

Post by chimechodra »

Thanks tigersnest! I actually met Lynn while I was at that retreat in July and just signed up for her course.

Does anyone know if you need anything besides transmission for Vajrapani practice? I imagine there's a lung required, does anyone know if he gave the lung in the July Massachusetts retreat?

Return to “Dzogchen”