A message from Contemplans to DW members

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Ben

A message from Contemplans to DW members

Postby Ben » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:45 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Kim OHara

Re: A message from Contemplans to DW members

Postby Kim OHara » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:10 pm

I would like to thank and congratulate Contemplans for enormous patience and courtesy in the face of sustained and sometimes personal attack. It can't have been easy, and I wish more of us could handle that sort of thing so well.

:namaste:
Kim

Alobha

Postby Alobha » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:37 pm

No matter what he thinks or believes, may he be happy and free from suffering. May all beings be happy and free from suffering. :candle:

Metta
Alobha

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:43 am

Greetings,

Thanks for passing that on, Ben.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

santa100

Postby santa100 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:08 am

Contemplans, I might not learn much from your doctrine, but I definitely learned a lot from your character and the way you handled things. Best of luck with everything..

Viscid

Postby Viscid » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:01 am

There needs to be more online inter-religious dialogue between monastics/practioners of different faiths of the quality which contemplans brought to this forum.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:11 am

SDC

Postby SDC » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:46 pm

I do get what tilt is saying. I feel contemplans projected his own unsettled struggles between Buddhism and Christianity to the boards which was not the best atmosphere for either side to learn much about each other's specific doctrines. There is just a lot of defending and line drawing in the sand. Yet the guy had a terrific attitude and I learned that his way of thinking, whatever it is, allows him to be very patient, polite and confident with his ideas. So there was something for both sides to gain in that regard.

He is a searcher, like we all are. In some cases, we get to a point in which we choose to only search in one distinct place, and sometimes after a certain period if that place doesn't provide what we are looking for, the urgency to get to the truth may take over. Then we may lose patience/interest/motivation and decide to cut our loses and move along. I wish him the best in his attempts to find meaning in Christianity.

Contemplans, continue to look and move in the direction that takes you to peace. Leave no stone unturned, because you don't seem like the settling type.

I wish you the very best. :smile:

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:12 pm

I have a different perspective on Contemplans than others here due to my personal interaction with him, but I think we can all learn from him in the way he conducted himself here!

Just a suggestion for the Mods & Admin to think about, it maybe appropriate for a sub-forum for inter-religious dialogue to be started, at the worst this will isolate where other faiths can be discussed or advertised, so to speak, thinking about the recent Muslim spam session we had, and give a forum for those interested in specific interrelation of different faiths (other than Buddhism as a whole which has many rooms which can be used for general Buddhist inquiry.) and maybe a specific term of service for members of other faiths, as I know it was some peoples impression that Contemplans was evangelising, and others who come are more proactive in this regard.

at worst the sub-forum may just be for isolation at best it could be a place where alternative views can be discussed (politely) with others of that faith and broaden all our horizons.) the Dhamma is True no matter what its form, and I will point to my signature here also :)

but yes only an idea and those who have diciding power can or not think about it, I just hope this doesn't change the thread into a discussion for this more than any appropriate reply from the Mods, Admin & Founding Members.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Buckwheat

Postby Buckwheat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:58 am

Contemplans was difficult for me to have a discussion with, but I do regret my lack of maturity in responding to his views. I made a personal attack immediately prior to his departure and for this I apologize. I wish him the best.

:anjali:
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.

danieLion

Postby danieLion » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:42 am

Believe it or not, I like Contemplans. I was at a similar juncture at one point in my life and could relate to where he was coming from.
Goodwill to Contemplans and all beings.
Daniel

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:03 am

Alobha

Postby Alobha » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:57 am

Return to “Lounge”