Psychotic break after a meditation retreat

Simon E.

Re: Psychotic break after a meditation retreat

Post by Simon E. »

ReasonAndRhyme wrote:
Kim O'Hara wrote:
Silkofos wrote:... a friend in Germany where he was doing his internship in psychiatry. He is very positive to all these energy things because he has followed for years orgonotherapy of Wilhelm Reich...
It seems unlikely to me that someone could get that far in psychiatry while still believing such a :alien: theory as orgonotherapy.
Are you sure?

:namaste:
Kim
Not sure if doing an internship in psychiatry means to "make it that far". Every student of psychology or medicine can do an internship in psychiatry, even a 16 year old pupil can.
Not in Europe and the Commonwealth they can't.
Anyone who wants to be a psychiatrist has to be an M.D. first...that currently takes 6/7 years of post grad study...... minimum. Then a further 3 or 4 years to go on the psych register.

I am both an MD and a psychotherapist...and my only advice to the OP is to seek hands on help...not rely for advice on any online forum.

( My apologies..I see that Kim has already made the point about the qualifications needed )
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
emaho

Post by emaho »

P.S.

I just looked the word "intern" up in a dictionary, and apparently it has a completely different meaning in American and British English. The meaning that I thought it had generally is obviously from American English only. Sorry for the confusion. I confess I'm watching too many American TV shows. :emb:

But anyway, whether Solkofos' friend is a fully qualified psychiatrist, a 16 year old pupil or the reincarnation of Wilhelm Reich - it doesn't matter because the validity of psychological theories is not decided by authority arguments.
Last edited by emaho on Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Someone doing some kind of educational module ABOUT psychiatry has no legal standing vis a vis treatment.
Any more than a 16 year old doing some kind of education module about the role of a cardiac surgeon gives them the experience and the legal permission to actually perform that surgery.

And..... once more we see a conflation between psychiatry and psychology..ssssigh...

It really isn't that hard..internalising the difference and using the terms correctly in discussion.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Thread shortened and locked after veering further and further off-topic.

:namaste:
Kim

Return to “Dzogchen”