YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Phenomenological writting by Ven. N. Nanamoli - Dhamma Wheel

Phenomenological writting by Ven. N. Nanamoli

Exploring modern Theravāda interpretations of the Buddha's teaching.
nyanasuci

Phenomenological writting by Ven. N. Nanamoli

Postby nyanasuci » Fri May 10, 2013 6:59 pm

Bhikkhu Hiriko - Ñāṇasuci

The experts do not say that one is a sage in this world because of view, or learning, or knowledge, Nanda.
I call them sages who wander without association, without affliction, without desire.

The Buddha, Sn.V.8.2 (1078)

| |

pulga

Re: Phenomenological writting by Ven. N. Nanamoli

Postby pulga » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:43 am

I believe I'm at variance with both Ven.Ñanananda and Ven. Thanissaro on this point so I hesitate to post it publicly. But there are those who contend that viññāṇaṃ anidassanaṃ is a consciousness of a "realm" (ayatana) beyond the six sense bases, but it seems to me that there are six types of viññāṇaṃ anidassanaṃ of the arahat corresponding to each of the saḷāyatanāni, just as there are six types of consciousness for the puthujjana (cf. Mahāhatthipadopamasutta, M28) only in regards to the arahat his consciousness is untainted by the āsavas of sensual desire, being, and ignorance. While we can't say that they share the same world, the worlds of each are structurally the same, the difference being the way in which they are experienced, cf. Ven. Ñanavira's chessboard.

There is an interesting sutta – the Kāmaguṇasutta (SN35.117) – that states that that base (ayatana) is to be known where both counterparts of the duality of the saḷāyatana cease. (I prefer the Burmese reading here.) But this I take has more to do with the profound implications of the ceasing of the “ground level” that Ven. Ñāṇavīra refers to in his Shorter Note on Dhamma, i.e. the infinite mind that Ven. N. Ñanamoli writes of rests upon a sub-structure of what is manifestly changing -- changing in the absolute sense. In light of Ven. Ñāṇavīra's writings – especially the second part to Fundamental Structure which deals with the structure of time– this is really a striking sutta. (Ven. Bodhi's translation is available at SuttaCentral: it's fairly good though given that "citta" and "cetaso" are used quite a bit I think the English Ñanamoli's "cognizance" would have added a little more precision to the translation.)

http://suttacentral.net/sn35.117/en/

I just discovered Ven. Ñāṇavīra's letter to Mr. Brady that explains his understanding of the term viññāṇaṃ anidassanaṃ:

http://www.nanavira.org/index.php/lette ... ember-1964
Last edited by pulga on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:47 am

Finally! The "Nanamoli Abhidhamma" :tongue: :reading:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

- Theravada texts
- Translations and history of Pali texts
- Sutta translations

culaavuso

Postby culaavuso » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:30 am

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:18 pm

The difference is that according to Ajaan Lee, this kind of dispassion only arises as a result of developing the mind in samadhi and gaining intuitive knowledge based on the power of jhana, not through phenomenological analysis.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

- Theravada texts
- Translations and history of Pali texts
- Sutta translations

nyanasuci

Postby nyanasuci » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:57 pm

Hi, culaavuso,
Soon you will be able to read more about it.

The experts do not say that one is a sage in this world because of view, or learning, or knowledge, Nanda.
I call them sages who wander without association, without affliction, without desire.

| |

SDC

Postby SDC » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:48 pm

I assume Ven. Nyanasuci is either recovering from this most recent release or is working hard on the next and is unable to give the update, but I just wanted to let everyone who is interested know that Ven. N. Nanamoli's book Meanings is now available for purchase over at . As of now it appears they have only produced 125 copies in hardcover so do not delay if you are interested.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:14 pm

Greetings,

Looks awesome, but I hope there's a cheaper/lighter softcover version at some point, because I don't think I can personally justify 26 Euro worth of postage for a book (although I completely believe them when they say that's the actual postage rate).

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

SDC

Postby SDC » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:25 pm

I imagine a soft cover is eventually going to be printed. Hoping for one. Hardcovers are not fit for my lifestyle. I have a tendency to throw them around in my car and they take a beating. :D I did order a copy, but I'm going to utilize the pdf for the time being and keep the hardcover on the shelf.

nyanasuci

Postby nyanasuci » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:04 am

Thank you SDC for informing of the printing of MEANINGS. It took a bit of time to finalize it, but here it is.

http://pathpress.wordpress.com/2014/06/ ... -nanamoli/

Soft-cover (paperback) might appear some time in future if there is enough interest in the book. But anyway – apparently – such lighter edition would not make much (or any) difference to cost of the posting. That is indeed unfortunate.

Anyway, I hope you will enjoy reading the book. Hard-cover books have longer life-span so, do not be afraid to use it a lot. ;-)

All the best!

| |

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:23 am

Having read a good portion of this in draft format, I would have to say for those with a phenomenological Dhamma-bent, or indeed for Nyanavarians it would be well worth the investment.

One might also find individual articles by Bhante Nyanamoli on the pathpress website here:
http://pathpress.wordpress.com/author/nyanamoli/

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

SDC

Postby SDC » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:03 am

Last edited by SDC on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

pulga

Postby pulga » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:38 am

Last edited by pulga on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

SDC

Postby SDC » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:32 am

Last edited by SDC on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

pulga

Postby pulga » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:59 pm

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:06 am

Hooray... my girlfriend is buying me a copy of Meanings for my birthday.

:woohoo:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

SDC

Postby SDC » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:24 pm

Nice! You will not be disappointed.

nyanasuci

Postby nyanasuci » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:57 am

| |

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:32 pm

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:39 pm

Remember Retro why Ven. Nyanavira stopped writing to Ven. Nyanamoli?

I also think that for anyone intent on reaching nibbana, now we have everything we need to make it. There comes a certain point where more talk is just more talk, and you wind up circling a problem rather than going to the heart of it. Ven. Nyanamoli's writings, like Ven. Nyanavira before him, are practical, they are to be applied to one's own pressing existential situation, rather than appreciated from a scholarly perspective. I'm not accusing you of being a scholar, or circling around the problem rather than taking the plunge, but I do think there's a risk of that for us all, and a 'meeting of the minds' between a relatively young, but extremely accomplished monk in Ven. Nyanamoli, and an extremely senior, very elderly monk in Ven. Nyanananda is in my mind quite unlikely to accomplish anything of much value.

Do bare in mind that Ven. Nyanananda has undoubtedly read at least some of Ven. Nyanavira's writings and has at least to some extent, rejected it's primacy.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." -

Return to “Modern Interpretations”