Semde teachers & teachings

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Semde teachers & teachings

Postby Bhusuku » Sat May 10, 2014 3:47 pm

Almost all I know about the Semde teachings is from the work of ChNN. AFAIK, Tulku Urgyen and Khenchen Palden Sherab also taught some Semde, but are there any living teachers (beside ChNN) that teach Semde these days?

And does anybody have some reading suggestions on Semde in english, german or spanish (beside the material that’s available in the Dzogchen community)? Until now, I only found some translations of the early 5 tantras, and Khenchen Palden Sherab’s “Pointing Out the Nature of the Mind: Dzogchen Pith Instructions of Aro Yeshe Jungne” (which seems impossible to get here in Europe), as well as some material by Germano and Karmay, and the "Revue d'Etudes Tibetains" from october 2012, containing studies in the sems sde tradition. So, any further reading suggestions would be highly appreciated!
Bhusuku

Re: Semde teachers & teachings

Postby Soar » Sat May 10, 2014 4:56 pm

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=gek31104huu4i2nodkv52lurk7&keyword=jim+valby

This is by Jim Valby from DC but maybe you missed it, it is 5 volumes and is a translation of a commentary on the Kunjed Gyalpo, and it includes the root text itself. So a lot of great stuff there.
“If you propose to speak always ask yourself, is it true, is it necessary, is it kind?”
― Siddhārtha Gautama

taichihastings.com
Soar

Postby Norwegian » Sat May 10, 2014 5:05 pm

Bhusuku,

That book is not impossible to get in Europe. Buy via Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0983407401/
Norwegian

Postby heart » Sat May 10, 2014 5:06 pm

This is an very relevant and wonderful book:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Image-V ... 1590300696

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby Bhusuku » Sun May 11, 2014 12:44 pm

many thanks for your suggestions, guys!

@ Soar: I'm aware of Valby's work, but I don't have it yet, as I'm waiting until I have the dough to buy all volumes at once.

@ Norwegian: last time I checked, Amazon.com had the book listed, but there were no copies available, now it's obviously available again via a bookshop from New York, and I ordered it right away!

@ heart: I read A.W. Hanson-Barber's dissertation on the Life and Teachings of Vairocana, which includes the translation of Vairocana's hagiography. Does the book you mentioned include another translation of the same text?
Bhusuku

Postby Bhusuku » Sun May 11, 2014 3:52 pm

I thought it might be useful for some people here if I share the material connected with Semde I came across so far (also included is some material on the A-Khrid tradition, as it shares many similarities with the Semde tradition):

Works by Chögyal Namkhai Norbu:

An Introduction to the Practice of Contemplation [restricted text]

The Four Contemplations of the Semde (Teachings given in Merigar, 1984) [restricted text]

The Four Contemplations of the Semde (Transcription of oral teachings given in Nea Macri, Greece in December 1986) [restricted text]

Shine and Lhagthong in the Dzogchen Teaching [restricted text]

Teachings on Semde by Sodogpa Lodro Gyaltsen [restricted text]

Longsal Teachings, Vol. 2 (includes "The Upadesha of Introduction to the State of Ati" (A ti’i dgongs pa ngo sprod kyi man ngag)) [restricted text]

Rigbai Kujyug: Six Vajra Verses

Translations of Semde tantras:

Adriano Clemente, Elio Guarisco, Jim Valby: The Marvellous Primordial State

Adriano Clemente: The Supreme Source

Jim Valby: Two Dzogchen Texts (includes "The Primordial State of the King of Space" (byang chub sems nam mkhai'rgyal po))

Jim Valby: Kunjed Gyalpo Series

Karen Liljenberg: The Lamp of the Three Realms

Karen Liljenberg: "The Cuckoo of Awareness" (Rig pa'i Khu Byug)

Karen Liljenberg: "The Small Hidden Grain" (sBas pa'i rGum Chung)

Keith Dowman: Original Perfection: Vairotsana's Five Early Transmissions

Keith Dowman: The Flight of the Garuda: The Dzogchen Tradition of Tibetan Buddhism

Other material:

Khenchen Palden Sherab Rinpoche, Khenpo Tsewang Dongyal Rinpoche: Pointing Out the Nature of the Mind: Dzogchen Pith Instructions of Aro Yeshe Jungne

Khenchen Palden Sherab Rinpoche, Khenpo Tsewang Dongyal Rinpoche: Lion's Gaze: A Commentary on Tsig Sum Nedek

Revue d’Etudes Tibétaines: Studies in the Sems sde tradition of rDzogs chen (Octobre 2012)

Jacob Dalton, Sam van Schaik: Lighting the Lamp: An Examination of the Structure of the Bsam gtan mig sgron

Carmen Meinert: Structural Analysis of the bSam gtan mig sgron

Giuseppe Baroetto: La dottrina dell'atiyoga nel bSam gtan mig sgron di gNubs chen Sangs rgyas ye shes

Kent G. Johnson: The Rdzogs-Chen Distinction Between Mentation and Excitatory Intelligence

David Higgins: The Philosophical Foundations of Classical rDzogs Chen in Tibet

A. W. Hanson-Barber: The Life and Teachings of Vairocana

Yudra Nyingpo (Compiler), Ani Jinba Palmo (Translator): The Great Image: The Life Story of Vairochana the Translator

(Warning: the following 2 links lead to an artice & a book by rather controversial teachers who's names I won't mention here, however, I found these teachings useful anyway...)

rDzogs Chen: The importance of Sem-dé

Roaring Silence: Discovering the Mind of Dzogchen

Material from the Bonpo A-Khrid tradition:

Bru-sgom rGal-ba Gyung-drung (Author), Per Kværne (transl.): The Stages of A-Khrid Meditation: Dzogchen Practice of the Bon Tradition

Per Kværne: Bonpo Studies: The A Khrid System of Meditation, part 1

Per Kværne: Bonpo Studies: The A Khrid System of Meditation, part 2

Jean-Luc Achard: The Instructions on the Primordial A

PS: If anybody knows of other Semde relevant material to add to this list, please post it, it would be very much appreciated!
Bhusuku

Postby heart » Sun May 11, 2014 5:02 pm

Bhusuku wrote:@ heart: I read A.W. Hanson-Barber's dissertation on the Life and Teachings of Vairocana, which includes the translation of Vairocana's hagiography. Does the book you mentioned include another translation of the same text?

I haven't read A.W. Hanson-Barber's dissertation, but Ani Jiba is long-time student of Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche so I trust that translation.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby pensum » Sun May 11, 2014 11:19 pm

heart wrote:
Bhusuku wrote:@ heart: I read A.W. Hanson-Barber's dissertation on the Life and Teachings of Vairocana, which includes the translation of Vairocana's hagiography. Does the book you mentioned include another translation of the same text?

I haven't read A.W. Hanson-Barber's dissertation, but Ani Jiba is long-time student of Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche so I trust that translation.
/magnus

Hanson-Barber's dissertation is pretty good, worth it just for the translation of Sri Singha's commentary on the Heart Sutra, which is a wonderful text.
pensum

Return to Dzogchen