Ganapuja and the animal

max123

Ganapuja and the animal

Post by max123 »

how does practicing Ganapuja helps the dead animal that the meat belonged to if the animal has taken rebirth already?i do not know how long it takes for an animal to take rebirth but i'm wondering if it has already before a lot of the meat is eaten(maybe i am wrong i haven't practiced Ganapuja yet and i truly don't know much about it(and how old the meat is etc)but if the animal has taken rebirth would it still benefit?
Simon E.

Re: Ganapuja and the animal

Post by Simon E. »

Are beings their bodies ?
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

max123 wrote:how does practicing Ganapuja helps the dead animal that the meat belonged to if the animal has taken rebirth already?i do not know how long it takes for an animal to take rebirth but i'm wondering if it has already before a lot of the meat is eaten(maybe i am wrong i haven't practiced Ganapuja yet and i truly don't know much about it(and how old the meat is etc)but if the animal has taken rebirth would it still benefit?

The answer lies in the term "rtsal" or "energy, power"; we are connected through this energy.
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

max123 wrote:how does practicing Ganapuja helps the dead animal that the meat belonged to if the animal has taken rebirth already?i do not know how long it takes for an animal to take rebirth but i'm wondering if it has already before a lot of the meat is eaten(maybe i am wrong i haven't practiced Ganapuja yet and i truly don't know much about it(and how old the meat is etc)but if the animal has taken rebirth would it still benefit?

You are not just connecting to the meat, you are connecting to a being that has had many kinds of rebirths. It does not matter how long it takes for the animal to rebirth, he may even be a fetus on the way to becoming a human being by the time you eat his meat (maybe he was beef jerky).

It's tremendous benefit if you make a karmic connection to a being that possibly would have never had a connection except perhaps through you and the Ganapuja.

There is also an old saying in Tibet about breaking the Lama's cup, in other words its better to have a bad connection than no connection at all.
Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. »

I think in general the consensus is that even if the animal has taken rebirth already it is still beneficial for the animal. In the best case scenario it is an enlightened being or highly realized practitioner eating the animal who can directly help to liberate the animal instantly. A more common scenario though might be that at least the animal makes a connection with Buddhism that will hopefully someday ripen for it's benefit. Also it is gaining merit in having been offered in the feast rather than being consumed in a more mundane manner.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Strictly speaking of course its not the animal that takes birth.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
max123

Post by max123 »

Simon E. wrote:Are beings their bodies ?
Thank you for your answers.
Hi Simon,thats my point really, what is left behind, is it still connected to its previous inhabitant(inhabitant so to speak)?
Last edited by max123 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max123

Post by max123 »

Malcolm wrote:

The answer lies in the term "rtsal" or "energy, power"; we are connected through this energy.
Interesting ,thank you.
Sherab

Post by Sherab »

Malcolm wrote:
Could you elaborate?
Sherab

Post by Sherab »

I am not sure how connection through tsal actually comes into play.

My understanding is more mundane. Our connection with one another is through causal chain or dependent arising or both.

As to whether there is merit in the act of eating the meat, pure motivation is the key. As to whether you can bestow benefit on another when the karma made through meat eating ripens, it all depends on whether you attain accomplishments.

Return to “Dzogchen”