Jes Bertelsen?

Malcolm

Re: Jes Bertelsen?

Post by Malcolm »

dzogchungpa wrote:
Malcolm wrote:Its a fact that TU authorized him to teach Dzogchen.
That's pretty remarkable. Did TU authorize any other westerners?

I have no idea. BTW, this does not mean that this guy is something like a lineage holder of Chokling Tersar or anything like that. But Dzogchen is a specific kind of knowledge that does not require a lot of elaborations to be communicated.

Kunzang Dechen Lingpa regularly excoriated his students (meaning us) for asking him to give empowerments all the time, insisting over and over again that knowledge of Dzogchen does not require this; and further, that the activities of giving empowerments and so on were mere child's play.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Malcolm wrote:Kunzang Dechen Lingpa regularly excoriated his students (meaning us) for asking him to give empowerments all the time, insisting over and over again that knowledge of Dzogchen does not require this; and further, that the activities of giving empowerments and so on were mere child's play.
I have heard you say that before, and I have often thought about it. Was KDL's point that empowerments are basically a waste of time?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dzogchungpa wrote:
Malcolm wrote:Kunzang Dechen Lingpa regularly excoriated his students (meaning us) for asking him to give empowerments all the time, insisting over and over again that knowledge of Dzogchen does not require this; and further, that the activities of giving empowerments and so on were mere child's play.
I have heard you say that before, and I have often thought about it. Was KDL's point that empowerments are basically a waste of time?

Not for childish people, apparently.
heart

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote:
Jikan wrote:
Finally, even though I said I would hold my tongue on Bertelsen...

Its a fact that TU authorized him to teach Dzogchen.
Really, how do you know that?

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Jikan wrote:
Finally, even though I said I would hold my tongue on Bertelsen...

Its a fact that TU authorized him to teach Dzogchen.
Really, how do you know that?

/magnus

Because one of our mutual friends who was in Nagi Gonpa at the time confirmed it to me when I asked him about it.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

My understanding (also from a close disciple of Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche, who is in a position to know) is that he was merely given permission to verbally recount some of Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche's statements on mind's nature to his then modest group of about 30 students. He was never authorized to "teach dzogchen" perse, recognized as an accomplished or realized Dzogchenpa, or anything of the sort.

If there is any evidence that anything more was said to him, publicly or privately, I am open to hearing it. However I think this is an instance of gross exaggeration along with the game of telephone. . .

I won't reach a decided verdict however until one of TU's sons or heart disciples decide to make a public statement.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

This is what I was informed of:
This transcribed account has been removed at Malcolm's request.
The only person who can confirm this with any authority is Eric. I suggest someone ask.

M
Last edited by Adamantine on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The one who offered this account to Malcolm did not want it public.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Malcolm wrote:This is what I was informed of:
This transcribed account has been removed at Malcolm's request.
The only person who can confirm this with any authority is Eric. I suggest someone ask.

M
Well I agree, both Andreas and Eric need to come out in the open and say if this account, similar ones, and Jes' own claims are true and legitimate. Since they would have been the translators, they would be the ultimate source to appeal to for clarification. My own source claims that they deny these accounts wholeheartedly. I have good faith that this person was there at the time and is still now in a position to know the inside scoop. Regardless, second hand will always be second hand, not to mention third, and now it is up to Andreas and Eric to step up and confirm or deny what actually transpired in their own words, especially because there's too many people here putting contradictory words in their mouths for them.
Last edited by Adamantine on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The one who offered this account to Malcolm did not want it public.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Malcolm wrote:This is what I was informed of...
I have to say that's pretty amazing. Maybe this guy is a real cig car ba.
Is that quote from an email or some other document?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dzogchungpa wrote:

It doesn't matter -- this is the main reason why Dzogchen was so hard to find in Tibet. All those people whose lively hoods depended on merit making activities were furious that Dzogchen asserts that accumulating merit and so on is unnecessary for realizing buddhahood.

M
Last edited by Adamantine on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: removed off-topic image and reference
Barney Fife

Post by Barney Fife »

i am familiar with the situation and all the parties involved, and have heard all versions of the jes bertelsen story. i can confirm that the version presented by the learned malcolm represents the version of jes bertelsen and his students, and that the version presented by the accomplished Adamantine represents the version of tulku urgyen rinpoche's close disciples.

b.f.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Barney Fife wrote:i am familiar with the situation and all the parties involved, and have heard all versions of the jes bertelsen story. i can confirm that the version presented by the learned malcolm represents the version of jes bertelsen and his students, and that the version presented by the accomplished Adamantine represents the version of tulku urgyen rinpoche's close disciples.

b.f.

Well it is a good thing we have versions. It is starting to sound like Rashoman:

Last edited by Adamantine on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed off-topic comment which broke TOS
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Malcolm wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:
It doesn't matter -- this is the main reason why Dzogchen was so hard to find in Tibet. All those people whose lively hoods depended on merit making activities were furious that Dzogchen asserts that accumulating merit and so on is unnecessary for realizing buddhahood.

M
That's nonsense (the image of the poor Dzogchenpas being hounded, discriminated against, etc. here) (maybe not historically though). Of course merit making is unnecessary for realizing Buddhahood. just like polishing a brick. Merit making is primarily for purification. But not for realizing Buddhahood directly.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

OK, let's not get excited. I don't know how to get in touch with Erik, but I'm pretty sure there are people reading this who do, so, can someone contact him?
Barney Fife

Post by Barney Fife »

Thank you Malcolm.
Have you read Jes Bertelsen's book, "Essence of Mind: An Approach to Dzogchen"? It would be interesting for me and perhaps others to hear your perspective on the teachings contained in the book.

b.f.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kirtu wrote: Of course merit making is unnecessary for realizing Buddhahood.

Kirt

Sapan is rolling in his grave.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Malcolm wrote:
kirtu wrote: Of course merit making is unnecessary for realizing Buddhahood.

Kirt

Sapan is rolling in his grave.
He can't be because he is in a Pure Land. Anyway, this is getting unexpectedly heated so I'll need to close down the thread for a bit for a cooling off on an otherwise excellent discussion.

Kirt

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Reopening the thread. Play nicely. He-said-she said or Rashomon type references should be supported.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

monktastic

Post by monktastic »

I have contacted Mr. Kunsang, though I do not know him personally. Stay tuned (or better yet, contact him directly, if you actually know him).
This undistracted state of ordinary mind
Is the meditation.
One will understand it in due course.

--Gampopa
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

This is a quite interesting thread, it enlight many point on unique specificity of Dzogchen practice, The Great Perfection ... I stay tuned.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -

Return to “Dzogchen”