The Highest Maha Ati Teachings - Rigdzin Shikpo (Hookham)

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

The Highest Maha Ati Teachings - Rigdzin Shikpo (Hookham)

Postby dzogchungpa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:15 pm

Here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/95488894/Hookham-Michael-RS-Dzogchen is a chapter from "Recalling Chogyam Trungpa", titled
"The Highest Maha Ati Teachings - Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche in Great Britain"
by Rigdzin Shikpo aka Michael Hookham, that I found interesting.

I am about to listen to this: http://chronicleproject.com/tributes/12.html
which may also be relevant.

Does anyone here have any experience with this teacher?
Note that, in the higher tantras, there is talk of a self and an I, even though in the lower teachings the absence of self and the absence of I is what is always proclaimed. - Tony Duff
If we have to have a soul, it might as well be vidya, it is after all, permanent, unconditioned, a knower, stainless, and free from the three realms. But If we don't have to have one, vidya still has these characteristics. It is our essenceless essence. - A certain Gemini
To educate the educated is notoriously difficult. - Jacques Barzun
སརྦ་དྷརྨ་དྷཱ་ཏུ་ཨཱཏྨ་ཀོ་྅ཧཾ༔
dzogchungpa

Re: The Highest Maha Ati Teachings - Rigdzin Shikpo (Hookham

Postby smcj » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:45 pm

Michael Hookam? Don't know him. His wife wrote a PhD. thesis on the Kagyu version of the Shentong view that is currently an important presentation of that view. To me, when you say "Hookam" I immediately think of his wife. I didn't know he was publicly active.

I clicked on the link you provided, and he does have quite an impressive beard however.
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj

Postby asunthatneversets » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:12 pm

smcj wrote:I clicked on the link you provided, and he does have quite an impressive beard however.

However it is utterly eclipsed by the magnificence of this fine specimen:

asunthatneversets

Postby heart » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:19 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:Does anyone here have any experience with this teacher?

Just hearsay, but I have a very good British friend that say "he is one of the good guys".

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby dzogchungpa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:49 pm

There are a fair number of videos here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/LongchenFoundation
Note that, in the higher tantras, there is talk of a self and an I, even though in the lower teachings the absence of self and the absence of I is what is always proclaimed. - Tony Duff
If we have to have a soul, it might as well be vidya, it is after all, permanent, unconditioned, a knower, stainless, and free from the three realms. But If we don't have to have one, vidya still has these characteristics. It is our essenceless essence. - A certain Gemini
dzogchungpa

Postby dzogchungpa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:21 pm

dzogchungpa

Postby MalaBeads » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:39 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:Here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/95488894/Hookham-Michael-RS-Dzogchen is a chapter from "Recalling Chogyam Trungpa", titled
"The Highest Maha Ati Teachings - Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche in Great Britain"
by Rigdzin Shikpo aka Michael Hookham, that I found interesting.

I like it. Some real eye opening lines in there.

:twothumbsup:

:smile:
MalaBeads

Postby dzogchungpa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:46 pm

OK, I listened to the recording of Hookham linked to above, and I think it's worth a listen.
This: http://westernmountain.org/Resources/Rigdzin%20Shikpo%20on%20CTR%20in%201965.pdf
appears to be a transcript of it.
dzogchungpa

Postby dzogchungpa » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:58 pm

From the 3rd paragraph of the article:
I asked Rinpoche whether life or existence had any meaning or significance and even why there was anything at all. He quoted from a text by a Kadampa master (a master of one of the oldest schools of Tibetan Buddhism), which stated that “there is no purpose.”

Does anyone have any idea what text he might have been quoting?
dzogchungpa

Postby kirtu » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:03 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:From the 3rd paragraph of the article:
I asked Rinpoche whether life or existence had any meaning or significance and even why there was anything at all. He quoted from a text by a Kadampa master (a master of one of the oldest schools of Tibetan Buddhism), which stated that “there is no purpose.”

Does anyone have any idea what text he might have been quoting?

I don't know the text being quoted. But I have read this as well (so possibly from Atisha). HH Penor Rinpoche also clearly said this as well: "There is no purpose to samsara."

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby alpha » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:55 pm

AOM
alpha

Postby MalaBeads » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:11 pm

alpha wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxOtx3Br11E

"Too close, too easy, too good."

Yep.

Thank you for posting this.

:smile:
MalaBeads

Postby smcj » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:49 pm

asunthatneversets wrote:
smcj wrote:I clicked on the link you provided, and he does have quite an impressive beard however.

However it is utterly eclipsed by the magnificence of this fine specimen:

I finally got that link to play. Indeed! :jawdrop:
A human being has his limits. And thus, in every conceivable way, with every possible means, he tries to make the teaching enter into his own limits. ChNN
smcj

Return to Dzogchen