The Highest Maha Ati Teachings - Rigdzin Shikpo (Hookham)

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

The Highest Maha Ati Teachings - Rigdzin Shikpo (Hookham)

Postby dzogchungpa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:15 pm

Here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/95488894/Hookham-Michael-RS-Dzogchen is a chapter from "Recalling Chogyam Trungpa", titled
"The Highest Maha Ati Teachings - Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche in Great Britain"
by Rigdzin Shikpo aka Michael Hookham, that I found interesting.

I am about to listen to this: http://chronicleproject.com/tributes/12.html
which may also be relevant.

Does anyone here have any experience with this teacher?
ཨོཾ་མ་ཧཱ་ཤུནྱ་ཏཱ་ཛྙཱ་ན་བཛྲ་སྭཱ་བྷཱ་བ་ཨཱཏྨ་ཀོ་྅ཧཾ༔

The thousands of lines of the Prajnaparamita can be summed up in the following two sentences:
1) One should become a Bodhisattva (or, Buddha-to-be), i.e. one who is content with nothing less than all-knowledge attained through the perfection of wisdom for the sake of all beings.
2) There is no such thing as a Bodhisattva, or as all-knowledge, or as a ‘being’, or as the perfection of wisdom, or as an attainment.
To accept both these contradictory facts is to be perfect.
- Conze
User avatar
dzogchungpa
 
Posts: 1479
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: The Highest Maha Ati Teachings - Rigdzin Shikpo (Hookham

Postby smcj » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:45 pm

Michael Hookam? Don't know him. His wife wrote a PhD. thesis on the Kagyu version of the Shentong view that is currently an important presentation of that view. To me, when you say "Hookam" I immediately think of his wife. I didn't know he was publicly active.

I clicked on the link you provided, and he does have quite an impressive beard however.
smcj
 
Posts: 1481
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 am

Re: The Highest Maha Ati Teachings - Rigdzin Shikpo (Hookham

Postby asunthatneversets » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:12 pm

smcj wrote:I clicked on the link you provided, and he does have quite an impressive beard however.


However it is utterly eclipsed by the magnificence of this fine specimen:

asunthatneversets
 
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:30 pm

Re: The Highest Maha Ati Teachings - Rigdzin Shikpo (Hookham

Postby heart » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:19 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:Does anyone here have any experience with this teacher?


Just hearsay, but I have a very good British friend that say "he is one of the good guys".

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
User avatar
heart
 
Posts: 2938
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: The Highest Maha Ati Teachings - Rigdzin Shikpo (Hookham

Postby dzogchungpa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:49 pm

There are a fair number of videos here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/LongchenFoundation
ཨོཾ་མ་ཧཱ་ཤུནྱ་ཏཱ་ཛྙཱ་ན་བཛྲ་སྭཱ་བྷཱ་བ་ཨཱཏྨ་ཀོ་྅ཧཾ༔

The thousands of lines of the Prajnaparamita can be summed up in the following two sentences:
1) One should become a Bodhisattva (or, Buddha-to-be), i.e. one who is content with nothing less than all-knowledge attained through the perfection of wisdom for the sake of all beings.
2) There is no such thing as a Bodhisattva, or as all-knowledge, or as a ‘being’, or as the perfection of wisdom, or as an attainment.
To accept both these contradictory facts is to be perfect.
- Conze
User avatar
dzogchungpa
 
Posts: 1479
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: The Highest Maha Ati Teachings - Rigdzin Shikpo (Hookham

Postby dzogchungpa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:21 pm

ཨོཾ་མ་ཧཱ་ཤུནྱ་ཏཱ་ཛྙཱ་ན་བཛྲ་སྭཱ་བྷཱ་བ་ཨཱཏྨ་ཀོ་྅ཧཾ༔

The thousands of lines of the Prajnaparamita can be summed up in the following two sentences:
1) One should become a Bodhisattva (or, Buddha-to-be), i.e. one who is content with nothing less than all-knowledge attained through the perfection of wisdom for the sake of all beings.
2) There is no such thing as a Bodhisattva, or as all-knowledge, or as a ‘being’, or as the perfection of wisdom, or as an attainment.
To accept both these contradictory facts is to be perfect.
- Conze
User avatar
dzogchungpa
 
Posts: 1479
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: The Highest Maha Ati Teachings - Rigdzin Shikpo (Hookham

Postby MalaBeads » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:39 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:Here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/95488894/Hookham-Michael-RS-Dzogchen is a chapter from "Recalling Chogyam Trungpa", titled
"The Highest Maha Ati Teachings - Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche in Great Britain"
by Rigdzin Shikpo aka Michael Hookham, that I found interesting.


I like it. Some real eye opening lines in there.

:twothumbsup:

:smile:
MalaBeads
 
Posts: 455
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:47 am

Re: The Highest Maha Ati Teachings - Rigdzin Shikpo (Hookham

Postby dzogchungpa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:46 pm

OK, I listened to the recording of Hookham linked to above, and I think it's worth a listen.
This: http://westernmountain.org/Resources/Rigdzin%20Shikpo%20on%20CTR%20in%201965.pdf
appears to be a transcript of it.
ཨོཾ་མ་ཧཱ་ཤུནྱ་ཏཱ་ཛྙཱ་ན་བཛྲ་སྭཱ་བྷཱ་བ་ཨཱཏྨ་ཀོ་྅ཧཾ༔

The thousands of lines of the Prajnaparamita can be summed up in the following two sentences:
1) One should become a Bodhisattva (or, Buddha-to-be), i.e. one who is content with nothing less than all-knowledge attained through the perfection of wisdom for the sake of all beings.
2) There is no such thing as a Bodhisattva, or as all-knowledge, or as a ‘being’, or as the perfection of wisdom, or as an attainment.
To accept both these contradictory facts is to be perfect.
- Conze
User avatar
dzogchungpa
 
Posts: 1479
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: The Highest Maha Ati Teachings - Rigdzin Shikpo (Hookham

Postby dzogchungpa » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:58 pm

From the 3rd paragraph of the article:
I asked Rinpoche whether life or existence had any meaning or significance and even why there was anything at all. He quoted from a text by a Kadampa master (a master of one of the oldest schools of Tibetan Buddhism), which stated that “there is no purpose.”

Does anyone have any idea what text he might have been quoting?
ཨོཾ་མ་ཧཱ་ཤུནྱ་ཏཱ་ཛྙཱ་ན་བཛྲ་སྭཱ་བྷཱ་བ་ཨཱཏྨ་ཀོ་྅ཧཾ༔

The thousands of lines of the Prajnaparamita can be summed up in the following two sentences:
1) One should become a Bodhisattva (or, Buddha-to-be), i.e. one who is content with nothing less than all-knowledge attained through the perfection of wisdom for the sake of all beings.
2) There is no such thing as a Bodhisattva, or as all-knowledge, or as a ‘being’, or as the perfection of wisdom, or as an attainment.
To accept both these contradictory facts is to be perfect.
- Conze
User avatar
dzogchungpa
 
Posts: 1479
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: The Highest Maha Ati Teachings - Rigdzin Shikpo (Hookham

Postby kirtu » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:03 pm

dzogchungpa wrote:From the 3rd paragraph of the article:
I asked Rinpoche whether life or existence had any meaning or significance and even why there was anything at all. He quoted from a text by a Kadampa master (a master of one of the oldest schools of Tibetan Buddhism), which stated that “there is no purpose.”

Does anyone have any idea what text he might have been quoting?


I don't know the text being quoted. But I have read this as well (so possibly from Atisha). HH Penor Rinpoche also clearly said this as well: "There is no purpose to samsara."

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member
 
Posts: 4131
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: The Highest Maha Ati Teachings - Rigdzin Shikpo (Hookham

Postby alpha » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:55 pm

AOM
alpha
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:05 pm
Location: kent

Re: The Highest Maha Ati Teachings - Rigdzin Shikpo (Hookham

Postby MalaBeads » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:11 pm

alpha wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxOtx3Br11E


"Too close, too easy, too good."

Yep.

Thank you for posting this.

:smile:
MalaBeads
 
Posts: 455
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:47 am

Re: The Highest Maha Ati Teachings - Rigdzin Shikpo (Hookham

Postby smcj » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:49 pm

asunthatneversets wrote:
smcj wrote:I clicked on the link you provided, and he does have quite an impressive beard however.


However it is utterly eclipsed by the magnificence of this fine specimen:


I finally got that link to play. Indeed! :jawdrop:
smcj
 
Posts: 1481
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 am


Return to Dzogchen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: asunthatneversets, heart, thigle and 10 guests

>