Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Natural Meditation
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:19 pm
Posts: 10
When resting in natural meditation, i.e. eyes naturally open, mouth open, breathing as it is through the mouth and nose.

With the field of vision do we let it go "soft"? Like simply gazing as opposed to letting the vision be more clear/focused as it is in day to day life?

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Natural Meditation
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:55 pm
Posts: 1054
Location: Sunny California
Ish wrote:
When resting in natural meditation, i.e. eyes naturally open, mouth open, breathing as it is through the mouth and nose.

With the field of vision do we let it go "soft"? Like simply gazing as opposed to letting the vision be more clear/focused as it is in day to day life?

Thanks


Because there is no object, it makes sense for it to be soft, eh?

_________________
My blog:
http://onsausalcreek.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Natural Meditation
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:58 pm
Posts: 630
In this kind of practice, at least in the beginning, there is an object. Space.
But since is is not a tangible object, what Yudron said. ;)

It is a bit odd isn't it? to focus on or in space?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Natural Meditation
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:20 am
Posts: 4
Yes, be warm and receptive, bright-toned in mood. Be relaxed, and let what is already naturally and perfect manifest as it is without interfering,,, smile at it. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Natural Meditation
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:13 pm
Posts: 1014
Hm sounds tricky like there are a lot of requirements to be in the real nature. Why no objects? Illusion isn't reality, I suppose?
:tongue:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Natural Meditation
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:55 pm
Posts: 1054
Location: Sunny California
Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:
Hm sounds tricky like there are a lot of requirements to be in the real nature. Why no objects? Illusion isn't reality, I suppose?
:tongue:



Yes, you can rest in the nature while practicing meditation with an object, but I don't think that is what the OP is asking about.

_________________
My blog:
http://onsausalcreek.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Natural Meditation
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:19 pm
Posts: 10
Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:
Hm sounds tricky like there are a lot of requirements to be in the real nature. Why no objects? Illusion isn't reality, I suppose?
:tongue:


They aren't required, just quite normal if you are relaxed. Plus have the effect of slowing down the winds.

Thanks for responses I thought it was right as it feels correct.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Natural Meditation
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:13 pm
Posts: 1014
Yudron wrote:
Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:
Hm sounds tricky like there are a lot of requirements to be in the real nature. Why no objects? Illusion isn't reality, I suppose?
:tongue:



Yes, you can rest in the nature while practicing meditation with an object, but I don't think that is what the OP is asking about.


My apologies whenever I play wise crypto-mystic I end up being an *ss. It would not be a bad idea to ignore the stuff I say honestly. :cry:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Natural Meditation
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:55 pm
Posts: 1054
Location: Sunny California
I'm overly literal and prosaic. I don't think we will be making wedding plans anytime soon.

_________________
My blog:
http://onsausalcreek.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Natural Meditation
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:27 am 
Online
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 am
Posts: 1466
Location: Europe
Bad days come and go.

_________________
Metta, Karuna, Mudita, Upekha
*** om vajra krodha hayagrīva hulu hulu hūm phat**


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Natural Meditation
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:06 pm
Posts: 952
Quote:
With the field of vision do we let it go "soft"?


I like the word soft.
Kind, gentle, passive, accepting.

Mindful, eyeful.

So easy. Anything else is hard.

:popcorn:

_________________
YinYana Buddhism


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Natural Meditation
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:09 pm
Posts: 11
I just find some point in my visual field and 'hang' my vision on it like an old coat - personally, I need some focus or I tend more to fall asleep. But that focus doesn't need to be active, or engage thoughts, just a point of rest. But this is just my thought.

Susan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Natural Meditation
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:33 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm
Posts: 3142
haydenlaw wrote:
I just find some point in my visual field and 'hang' my vision on it like an old coat - personally, I need some focus or I tend more to fall asleep. But that focus doesn't need to be active, or engage thoughts, just a point of rest. But this is just my thought.

Susan


I think the point you are making Susan is that not moving our eyes all the time actually makes recognition easier, yes?

/magnus

_________________
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Natural Meditation
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:09 pm
Posts: 11
heart wrote:
haydenlaw wrote:
I just find some point in my visual field and 'hang' my vision on it like an old coat - personally, I need some focus or I tend more to fall asleep. But that focus doesn't need to be active, or engage thoughts, just a point of rest. But this is just my thought.

Susan


I think the point you are making Susan is that not moving our eyes all the time actually makes recognition easier, yes?

/magnus


Yes. It allows a still field in which recognition might arise? Perhaps I could say that.

Susan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Natural Meditation
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:34 am
Posts: 1069
conceptual working overtime.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Natural Meditation
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:52 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm
Posts: 3142
Heruka wrote:
conceptual working overtime.


yes, even the smart comments comes from there, no? :smile:

/magnus

_________________
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Natural Meditation
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:58 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm
Posts: 3142
haydenlaw wrote:
heart wrote:
haydenlaw wrote:
I just find some point in my visual field and 'hang' my vision on it like an old coat - personally, I need some focus or I tend more to fall asleep. But that focus doesn't need to be active, or engage thoughts, just a point of rest. But this is just my thought.

Susan


I think the point you are making Susan is that not moving our eyes all the time actually makes recognition easier, yes?

/magnus


Yes. It allows a still field in which recognition might arise? Perhaps I could say that.

Susan


I listened to ChNNR and he talked about doing three-fold sky practice within the space of your room. It actually becomes the same. You look towards something and then move the eyes fixation backwards from that object to the space between the object and your eyes and there you are. Eyes unmoving and without fixation on anything , very soft indeed.

/magnus

_________________
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Natural Meditation
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:09 pm
Posts: 11
Thanks, Magnus.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Natural Meditation
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:59 am
Posts: 3043
Ish, do you allow me to post this here, which is related to your title but maybe not what you asked...it is only short time available and therefore to open a new tread...

Thank you!

http://www.dharmata.org/teachings/

_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG_lNuNUVd4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Natural Meditation
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:19 pm
Posts: 10
muni wrote:
Ish, do you allow me to post this here, which is related to your title but maybe not what you asked...it is only short time available and therefore to open a new tread...

Thank you!

http://www.dharmata.org/teachings/


Absolutely, thanks for posting, i'm watching it now :D .


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group