Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:48 am
Posts: 287
Location: NYC
Hi all,

I'm practicing semi-self-taught Mahamudra right now, and I understand that it's not a good idea. So I'll be finding myself a guru.

I have a question about the Direct Introduction / Pointing Out Instruction. I know Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche offers direct transmission three times a year, and I will attempt to sit in on the November one. It sounds like it may be harder to receive online, and even harder if I only get an audio feed. Is this a reasonable concern? Do people actually recognize rigpa in this way, or is it much better to receive it in person? With any luck, I'll be doing that soon anyway, but that will probably happen later.

Thanks,
M

_________________
This undistracted state of ordinary mind
Is the meditation.
One will understand it in due course.

--Gampopa


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:44 pm
Posts: 220
Location: UK
As someone who, like you, was practicing semi-self-taught Mahamudra and received direct introduction from Namkhai Norbu, I recommend that you seek out Rinpoche's teachings as soon as possible. You have nothing to lose, and on the other hand...

PM me if you want.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
monktastic wrote:
Hi all,

I'm practicing semi-self-taught Mahamudra right now, and I understand that it's not a good idea. So I'll be finding myself a guru.

I have a question about the Direct Introduction / Pointing Out Instruction. I know Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche offers direct transmission three times a year, and I will attempt to sit in on the November one. It sounds like it may be harder to receive online, and even harder if I only get an audio feed. Is this a reasonable concern? Do people actually recognize rigpa in this way, or is it much better to receive it in person? With any luck, I'll be doing that soon anyway, but that will probably happen later.

Thanks,
M


He offers direct introduction with every webcasted retreat, not just three times a year.

23rd Sept. 10am-12pm.

Give a Donwang of Zhitro Khordas Rangdrol.

This contains direct introduction.

There is an open webcast which started today at 4 am eastern time -- I suggest you get up and listen.

http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/video.php



21st -27th September 2012
Zhitro Khordas Rangdrol

the terma teaching of Ridzin Jyangchub Dorje.
OPEN WEBCAST. Timezone: GMT+2

21st Sept. 10am-12pm.

Introduction about this Teaching and the transmission of Ati Guru Yoga related with the tridlung of Short Thun Practice.

22nd Sept. 10am-12pm.

Giving more detail explanation about the teaching of Zhitro and its different methods.

23rd Sept. 10am-12pm.

Give a Donwang of Zhitro Khordas Rangdrol.

24th Sept. 10am-12pm.

Giving instruction about the essential practice of the Zhitro Khordas Rangdrol.

25th Sept. 10am-12pm.

Giving instructions how we do the practice of Zhitro for the living and dying people.
12,30pm - 1pm. We do a Short Gana Puja for the day of Guru Rinpoche.

26th Sept. 10am-12pm.

We do the practice of Jyangchog for all dead people who we have good or bad relations.

27th Sept. 10am-12pm.

Giving some advices for the daily life practices and tridlungs of collective practices and so on. We also do an Ati Guru Yoga altogether for finishing our retreat.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:48 am
Posts: 287
Location: NYC
Malcolm wrote:
He offers direct introduction with every webcasted retreat, not just three times a year.

23rd Sept. 10am-12pm.

Give a Donwang of Zhitro Khordas Rangdrol.

This contains direct introduction.

There is an open webcast which started today at 4 am eastern time -- I suggest you get up and listen.

http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/video.php

21st -27th September 2012
Zhitro Khordas Rangdrol

the terma teaching of Ridzin Jyangchub Dorje.
OPEN WEBCAST. Timezone: GMT+2

21st Sept. 10am-12pm.

Introduction about this Teaching and the transmission of Ati Guru Yoga related with the tridlung of Short Thun Practice.


I just noticed this morning that I missed the first session (2 AM MDT). If the DI takes place on Sep 23., I will attend tomorrow and Sunday's sessions! BTW, how did you discover that the DI takes place on the 23rd? From the description bolded above? (If so, it's not something I would/could have discovered!)

Also, if I register as a member of the Community, it seems I can listen to / watch old webcasts. Does that mean I can listen in on old Direct Introductions? Does this even make sense if it's not real-time?

Thanks,
M

_________________
This undistracted state of ordinary mind
Is the meditation.
One will understand it in due course.

--Gampopa


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:31 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:14 pm
Posts: 853
DI is always part of any donwang that ChNN gives. If the retreat in question doesn't have a donwang, then it's usually given by other methods involving guruyoga on the first or second day.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
monktastic wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
He offers direct introduction with every webcasted retreat, not just three times a year.

23rd Sept. 10am-12pm.

Give a Donwang of Zhitro Khordas Rangdrol.

This contains direct introduction.

There is an open webcast which started today at 4 am eastern time -- I suggest you get up and listen.

http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast/video.php

21st -27th September 2012
Zhitro Khordas Rangdrol

the terma teaching of Ridzin Jyangchub Dorje.
OPEN WEBCAST. Timezone: GMT+2

21st Sept. 10am-12pm.

Introduction about this Teaching and the transmission of Ati Guru Yoga related with the tridlung of Short Thun Practice.


I just noticed this morning that I missed the first session (2 AM MDT). If the DI takes place on Sep 23., I will attend tomorrow and Sunday's sessions! BTW, how did you discover that the DI takes place on the 23rd? From the description bolded above? (If so, it's not something I would/could have discovered!)

Also, if I register as a member of the Community, it seems I can listen to / watch old webcasts. Does that mean I can listen in on old Direct Introductions? Does this even make sense if it's not real-time?

Thanks,
M



I have received this transmission.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:48 am
Posts: 287
Location: NYC
Sherlock wrote:
DI is always part of any donwang that ChNN gives. If the retreat in question doesn't have a donwang, then it's usually given by other methods involving guruyoga on the first or second day.


Super! Thanks, that's very helpful. One more question:

Should I be doing my best to remain in the natural state while attending? Is it more likely that I may recognize it then? (It may be ridiculous, but one concern is that it will be less obvious because there will be less change).

_________________
This undistracted state of ordinary mind
Is the meditation.
One will understand it in due course.

--Gampopa


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:09 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:14 pm
Posts: 853
Just don't think so much. Maybe you will recognise it, maybe you won't. If you don't, then there are methods to help you do that which you will be authorized to practise after you received the transmission.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:48 am
Posts: 287
Location: NYC
Sherlock wrote:
Just don't think so much. Maybe you will recognise it, maybe you won't. If you don't, then there are methods to help you do that which you will be authorized to practise after you received the transmission.


Right-o. Into the fray, then!

_________________
This undistracted state of ordinary mind
Is the meditation.
One will understand it in due course.

--Gampopa


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 11:19 am
Posts: 365
monktastic wrote:

Also, if I register as a member of the Community, it seems I can listen to / watch old webcasts. Does that mean I can listen in on old Direct Introductions? Does this even make sense if it's not real-time?

Thanks,
M


You can listen in but it would have to have been "real time" to actually have the Direct Introduction.
ChNN has told me this himself, and of course during teachings he has said this, that you have to
be present when he is live.

:thumbsup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:19 am
Posts: 210
Attending Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche's webcast retreat has been the best thing to happen in my life (it's only my second one) :twothumbsup:

wishing you all the best

:namaste:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:19 am
Posts: 1030
Location: Southern Oregon
monktastic wrote:

Also, if I register as a member of the Community, it seems I can listen to / watch old webcasts. Does that mean I can listen in on old Direct Introductions? Does this even make sense if it's not real-time?

Thanks,
M


The direct introduction isn't contained in those audio recordings and even when we listen live it's not coming to us via our internet connection. The introduction involves participating simultaneously with one's guru, following his instructions and attempting to be in the same state simultaneously. In other words, the introduction isn't really about hearing some magic words but having a first-hand experience while in sync with one's guru being in his knowledge of the natural state. Since the natural state has no location, how near or far the guru is from one does not matter. But synchronicity of the transmission in time is necessary.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 11:19 am
Posts: 365
Pema Rigdzin wrote:
The introduction involves participating simultaneously with one's guru, following his instructions and attempting to be in the same state simultaneously... etc...


:good:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:11 pm
Posts: 1999
Location: France
T. Chokyi wrote:
monktastic wrote:

Also, if I register as a member of the Community, it seems I can listen to / watch old webcasts. Does that mean I can listen in on old Direct Introductions? Does this even make sense if it's not real-time?

Thanks,
M


You can listen in but it would have to have been "real time" to actually have the Direct Introduction.
ChNN has told me this himself, and of course during teachings he has said this, that you have to
be present when he is live.

:thumbsup:


ChNN says so, because if Internet allows us to get rid of space, we are not yet ready to get rid of time ... if we were audio would work.

Sönam

_________________
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:11 pm
Posts: 1999
Location: France
T. Chokyi wrote:
Pema Rigdzin wrote:
The introduction involves participating simultaneously with one's guru, following his instructions and attempting to be in the same state simultaneously... etc...


:good:


There is nohing to attempt to ... if introduction means participating simultaneously, realization of it could happen any time.

Sönam

_________________
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:19 am
Posts: 1030
Location: Southern Oregon
Sönam wrote:

There is nohing to attempt to ...

Sönam


Yes, it's true, "attempt" is maybe a problematic word. But then all words are problematic, so it's best that newcomers just tune in at the time of the webcast and follow Rinpoche's instructions instead of going off what strangers on Dharmawheel say.


Sönam wrote:
...if introduction means participating simultaneously, realization of it could happen any time.

Simultaneous participation simply means you participate in the transmission Rinpoche is giving at the same time that he is intending to give it. If one has not yet received transmission, then it is said one cannot just realize the natural state at any time; but once one has received transmission, one can then indeed do guru yoga as much as one wants at any time and then realization can arise at any time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 11:19 am
Posts: 365
monktastic wrote:
Sherlock wrote:
Just don't think so much. Maybe you will recognise it, maybe you won't. If you don't, then there are methods to help you do that which you will be authorized to practise after you received the transmission.


Right-o. Into the fray, then!


I like your enthusiastic attitude! Also, "monktastic", lol,thats a great user name, please don't consider me a stranger, you can PM me anytime concerning anything related to CHNN's teachings, and I'll answer you the best I can same as underthetree offered. I am a member of the DC and will renew every year as long as I live.

:smile:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:48 am
Posts: 287
Location: NYC
T. Chokyi wrote:
I like your enthusiastic attitude! Also, "monktastic", lol,thats a great user name, please don't consider me a stranger, you can PM me anytime concerning anything related to CHNN's teachings, and I'll answer you the best I can same as underthetree offered. I am a member of the DC and will renew every year as long as I live.

:smile:


Hard not to feel this way! My life is pretty perfect, and all that's left is saving all these sentient beings :tongue:

So for now, I'll relax and let this empty cognizance do its thang, refreshing it as needed. It may not be authentic nonmeditation, and I may not glimpse rigpa, but it probably can't hurt.

And meanwhile I'll listen to Rinpoche's lectures (and his DI), and do my best to find a master. Until then I'm sure I'll continue to harbor doubts about my practice, given that I don't have any of these timeless / distinction-less experiences that I understand accompany actual recognition of rigpa. :broke: Maybe those only come later, or maybe after tonight's DI something will change.

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up at some point.

_________________
This undistracted state of ordinary mind
Is the meditation.
One will understand it in due course.

--Gampopa


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: qwerty13, Stewart and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group