His Holiness Meets Nobel Peace Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

His Holiness Meets Nobel Peace Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi

Postby phantom59 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:51 pm

The spiritual leader of Tibet, His Holiness the Dalai Lama and the 'daughter of Burmese democracy' met in London on June 19, 2012. The 76-year- old Nobel Peace Prize winner was holding his annual Buddhist teachings in the British capital and Aung Sung Suu Kyi was returning 'Home'. She made a private visit to His Holiness the Dalai Lama in the morning.

The two Nobel laureates spoke for about half an hour. The Dalai Lama spoke confidently that like her father she would do humanity a great service. He was quoted saying "I have real admiration for your courage. I am very happy we've been able to meet."

His Holiness continued onward to the University of Westminster to deliver his CR Parekh lecture. During the lecture he brought about the contrast in the policies of China and India.Aung Sun Suu Kyi was travelling to Oxford. It had been where she started her family with her late husband, Michael Aris. She hadn't been there in nearly 24 years. It was a bittersweet occasion as she was unable to attend his funeral in 1999 because of her house arrest.

Read more at :
http://www.thetibetpost.com/en/news/int ... ng-suu-kyi

His Holiness the Dalai Lama met Burmese pro-democracy leader Aung Sang Suu Kyi yesterday in London on her 67th birthday on 19 June 2012
http://choegyaltenzin.com/2012/06/20/hi ... sellohhdl/

She was jailed in 1990, soon after leading her pro-democracy party to victory and spent much of the past 24 years under house arrest. His Holiness the Dalai Lama had often in the past campaigned for Suu Kyi’s release with other fellow Nobel laureates.Soon after she was freed in late 2010, the Tibetan spiritual leader, in a message, welcomed her release.

“I welcome the release of fellow Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi and extend my appreciation to the military regime in Burma. I extend my full support and solidarity to the movement for democracy in Burma and take this opportunity to appeal to freedom-loving people all over the world to support such non-violent movements,” the Dalai Lama said.

His Holiness is currently on a 15-day tour of England, Scotland, and Italy.
phantom59

Re: His Holiness Meets Nobel Peace Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi

Postby Simon E. » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:43 pm

Its heart-warming to see Aung Sung Suu Kyi, and particularly to see her able to travel to London.
After her years of house arrest and isolation she is an inspiration , and a model of patience.

A very, very, minor quibble. London is not the " British " capital. Britain is a geographical entity, not a political entity.
London is the capital of England. Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland, Cardiff is the capital of Wales and Belfast is the capital of Northern Ireland.
Together they are not "Britain " they are the United Kingdom.
As I said, a minor matter.
Simon E.

Return to News & Current Events