Monk's feet leave lasting impression

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Monk's feet leave lasting impression

Postby Luke » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:26 pm

Luke

Re: Monk's feet leave lasting impression

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:06 am

Greetings,

I can't access the video just at the moment but I do hope this is an incredibly poor translation of this monk's activities...

"Hua Chi once prayed up to 3,000 times a day on the same spot, to ensure his soul makes a smooth transition in the afterlife."

:?

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes

Dhamma Wheel (Theravada forum) * Here Comes Trouble
retrofuturist
Founding Member

Postby Huifeng » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:41 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I can't access the video just at the moment but I do hope this is an incredibly poor translation of this monk's activities...

"Hua Chi once prayed up to 3,000 times a day on the same spot, to ensure his soul makes a smooth transition in the afterlife."

:?

Metta,
Retro. :)

It's from the BBC, what do you expect?

Probably something more like:
"Hua Chi once made 3,000 prostrations (and perhaps mantra recitations) a day on the same spot, to ensure good rebirth (in a Pureland, perhaps?)"
Huifeng

Postby Anders » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:47 pm

they also said 'which he hopes will eventually lead to his goal of self-salvation'.

I doubt that a Tibetan monk would word their goal like that.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Anders

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:11 pm

Anders Honore wrote:they also said 'which he hopes will eventually lead to his goal of self-salvation'.

I doubt that a Tibetan monk would word their goal like that.

Exactly :)
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Postby ronnewmexico » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:49 pm

I wouldn't say it is strictly a theist traite, as it probably is a human inclination due to habit, but in the actuality..... theists absolutely cannot frame a religion in any manner that opposes what is thought to be religious, in their culture. Personal salvation and heaven being essentially integrated into their mindstream to the extent no other possibiity for religious aim is able to be envisioned.

So looking with those particular tinted glasses all is of course shown in that color.

I as a western Buddhist also had to work dilligently against the theist underpinning of my own psychology which continued to represent in thought for quite some time. I keep in mind however I was born this time into a theist culture invariably because I had inclinations for such from prior lifetime habit formations. So those like me are working against not just the present situation but most probably lifetimes of habit in seeing things through theist tinted glasses. We are not accidently born into theist cultures. Our inclinations effect that birth. So it may be very difficult. Try to tell a theist, Buddhism is not theism....impossible for the most part. Try to tell a western Buddhist theist(not that there is anything wrong with that) that Buddhism in its core is not theism....and you are in for a big old argument and a bad old time to my experience. That it accomodates theists is equated to being theism, which it certainly is not.

No, any serious Tibetan monk would not be doing such things to attain salvation of his soul in heaven. The idea is perposterous and mistaken in about every way.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Postby Dana » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:06 pm

Well,
That soul word and concept, yes, confusing and especially so when HHDL himself uses the word soul and lately I have read where Glen H. Mullin uses the word soul also, in his book, "The Fourteen DALAI LAMAS."
While my teacher was alive I asked why this word was used. We westerners who have been raised with such a concept do find it difficult to get over and once there, it is even more confusing to find it used in Buddhist writing. The reply I received was that this word 'soul' best conveys a concept that westerners can relate to; that comes closest to that continuum to which karma attaches and is worked out thru.

So, one can hardly fault a reporter for not understanding or for using those words that convey other ideas altogether for it is indeed difficult to shake those ideas with which we have been raised. Many Buddhist discussions on forums are to be found on this exact topic. Many budding Buddhists find it hard to understand a difference between soul and not soul - self/no self etc.
An eclectic yogi I know who uses methods from several traditions in his practice, who does call himself a JewBu is still a theist at heart and denies any other possibility. Much similar to the tale of the monks who could not remember the correct version of a mantra and followed after the departing master to ask once more, who were told to carry on just as they were as their practice was working to get them to the other shore, indeed without a boat as the practitioners walked back to their island.
I did my futile best to suggest other views only to be told I was being contentious.
HHDL says that switching religions is not required and can be detrimental which is one reason Buddhists do not proselytize I suppose.
My friend has a wonderful practice that I equate with Gnondro in a way and I do nothing to disturb his mind from it.

So, yes, it is hard to get but Houston Smith got it I gathered from an interview I heard recently where he decried the vacuity of atheism while including Buddhism as a worthy tradition alongside his theistic beliefs. A belief in something greater than man as he appears on earth.
Gosh, now to get to the article!

D
Dana

Return to News & Current Events