YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Rabies - Dhamma Wheel

Rabies

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
nathan

Rabies

Postby nathan » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:16 pm

Hi everyone. I just had the first of a series of vaccinations for rabies three days ago and they told me I could have an 'incident' at some point in the next three days. Happy to say I am still fine and set for the next one at the end of this week. However, on reflection, I thought I would take the opportunity to apologize for anything rabid I may have posted in the last three days! I can't help but wonder if those little critters in my blood or the antibodies being created aren't just a little bit "off". So, very sorry if I have been somehow crazier than usual.

If anyone has experience or info on rabies they would like to post, please feel free. I understand it is quite a problem in some parts of the world and I always will appreciate being better informed about how to deal with it or even prevent something from happening. Anyone had much experience with rabid animals for instance? We have some heavy duty wildlife around here that can get pretty upset under some conditions but I don't think I have had any encounters with animals that I could say were rabid.

Anyways sorry for any apparent hostility.
Metta and upekkha.
Last edited by nathan on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

Ngawang Drolma.

Re: Rabies

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:59 pm

Oh dear, that sounds unpleasant. Be well nathan! :anjali:

nathan

Postby nathan » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:30 pm

But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

Ngawang Drolma.

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:50 pm

I'm glad to hear it won't be long for you with the symptoms. I had to get rabies shots once from a dog bite and it wasn't fun.

Ben

Postby Ben » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:12 pm

Hi Nathan

I'm sorry you are not well. My experience with rabies is non-existent. Australia remains a rabies-free zone. I hear the injections are non-too-pleasant either. Take care and you are definitely in my thoughts.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

appicchato

Postby appicchato » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:29 pm

nathan

Postby nathan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:55 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:46 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

nathan

Postby nathan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:16 am

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:21 pm

http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/

nathan

Postby nathan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:13 pm

Thanks Annnabel. Good suggestions. I take a lot of vitamins so that's no problem and same with diet. Sleep is another matter. Sometimes it is hard to come by and I have always slept far less than most people. I have learned to accept those things and work with them. The flu and tetanus shots were not a big deal but I had a few others that threw me for a while. It will be over a dozen injections before I am done the whole regiment but at that point the health office here assures me I will be about as ready to head to S.E. Asia as I could hope to be. I think it is worth the trouble and expense all things considered. It is very unfortunate about the animals that suffer. It would be great if we all learned to do more for them. Perhaps over time we will improve. Watching so many kinds of animals slowly disappearing from our world may eventually teach us to consider their needs as well. It is bringing a lot of people's thinking around. Thanks again for the kind thoughts. Feeling more 'normal' again now. :smile:

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:14 pm

Glad you're feeling better. :smile:
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/

Return to “Lounge”