YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Hurt myself while meditating? - Dhamma Wheel

Hurt myself while meditating?

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Soeun

Hurt myself while meditating?

Postby Soeun » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:26 am

I started meditating about a year and a half ago. Before I could sit during vipassana meditation for at least an hour, that is until I over exerted myself and hurt my muscles around my right shoulder blade during vipassana meditation over a year ago. When I think it is healed back up I try to sit for 15 to 20 minutes and it seems fine, then like 10 minutes after I feel pain again. I get frustrated because I can't get to the level of concentration as before and I don't know if I'm over exerting myself. Thanks in advance for any advice for this novice meditater!

Mr. G

Re: Hurt myself while meditating?

Postby Mr. G » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:33 am

I use this to assist in back and knee support:

http://www.nadachair.com/

Love it! It can also be used with a regular chair as well.

In terms of chairs, many cellists like the Adjustrite musician's chair.

:namaste:
Even if my body should be burnt to death
In the fires of hell,
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice
- Gandavyuha Sutra

Cloud

Postby Cloud » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:00 am

The trick is to not obstruct the airway. You can even meditate while lying in bed.

Namaste

Soeun

Postby Soeun » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:30 am

Thanks for the replies. That back strap thingy looks interesting, If my shoulder don't seem to get better I might buy that product. That is another big concern too is I don't know if I'm sitting right. My mediation teacher just said to sit in the best position that is most comptable. My legs are short so I can't do the full lotus, but I tried every posture and the half lotus seems the most comptable.

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:49 am

“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:40 am

Soeun

Postby Soeun » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:13 am

Soeun

Postby Soeun » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:20 am

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:15 pm

“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:07 pm

Hi Soeun,

Thanks for explaining the problem in more detail. Interesting, and slightly alarming, that one can strain a muscle like that but, as I said above, I've had some quite interesting experiences where the body seemed to be straining itself to get straightened out (while I just observed...), and other experiences where I moved and shook. One of my monastic teachers said that he'd seen people shake so much they whacked their head on the ground. (This was back in Bangladesh - where he's from - on Mahasi-style retreats). I'm guessing that your retreat was a Goenka one? I've only been on one Goenka retreat, back in 2007, but that was my first long retreat, and the first time I really had this sort of thing happen.

Hmm, in conclusion, I don't seem to be offering anything useful, but I would try to discuss it with your teachers, who may well have seen similar problems.

:anjali:
Mike

Soeun

Postby Soeun » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:16 pm

Return to “Vipassanā / Satipaṭṭhāna Bhāvana”