obama signs NDAA

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

obama signs NDAA

Postby Heruka » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:03 pm

http://www.aclu.org/

President Obama Signs Indefinite Detention Into Law

President Obama signed the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) today, allowing indefinite detention to be codified into law. As you know, the White House had threatened to veto an earlier version of the NDAA but reversed course shortly before Congress voted on the final bill. While President Obama issued a signing statement saying he had “serious reservations” about the provisions, the statement only applies to how his administration would use it and would not affect how the law is interpreted by subsequent administrations.

The statute is particularly dangerous because it has no temporal or geographic limitations, and can be used by this and future presidents to militarily detain people captured far from any battlefield.

Under the Bush administration, similar claims of worldwide detention authority were used to hold even a U.S. citizen detained on U.S. soil in military custody, and many in Congress now assert that the NDAA should be used in the same way again. The ACLU believes that any military detention of American citizens or others within the United States is unconstitutional and illegal, including under the NDAA. In addition, the breadth of the NDAA’s detention authority violates international law because it is not limited to people captured in the context of an actual armed conflict as required by the laws of war.

We are extremely disappointed that President Obama signed this bill even though his administration is already claiming overly-broad detention authority in court. Any hope that the Obama administration would roll back those claims dimmed today. Thankfully we have three branches of government, and the final word on the scope of detention authority belongs to the Supreme Court, which has yet to rule on the scope of detention authority. But Congress and the president also have a role to play in cleaning up the mess they have created because no American citizen or anyone else should live in fear of this or any future president misusing the NDAA’s detention authority.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-off ... nt-hr-1540

The White House

Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release December 31, 2011
Statement by the President on H.R. 1540
Today I have signed into law H.R. 1540, the "National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012." I have signed the Act chiefly because it authorizes funding for the defense of the United States and its interests abroad, crucial services for service members and their families, and vital national security programs that must be renewed. In hundreds of separate sections totaling over 500 pages, the Act also contains critical Administration initiatives to control the spiraling health care costs of the Department of Defense (DoD), to develop counterterrorism initiatives abroad, to build the security capacity of key partners, to modernize the force, and to boost the efficiency and effectiveness of military operations worldwide.

The fact that I support this bill as a whole does not mean I agree with everything in it. In particular, I have signed this bill despite having serious reservations with certain provisions that regulate the detention, interrogation, and prosecution of suspected terrorists. Over the last several years, my Administration has developed an effective, sustainable framework for the detention, interrogation and trial of suspected terrorists that allows us to maximize both our ability to collect intelligence and to incapacitate dangerous individuals in rapidly developing situations, and the results we have achieved are undeniable. Our success against al-Qa'ida and its affiliates and adherents has derived in significant measure from providing our counterterrorism professionals with the clarity and flexibility they need to adapt to changing circumstances and to utilize whichever authorities best protect the American people, and our accomplishments have respected the values that make our country an example for the world.

Against that record of success, some in Congress continue to insist upon restricting the options available to our counterterrorism professionals and interfering with the very operations that have kept us safe. My Administration has consistently opposed such measures. Ultimately, I decided to sign this bill not only because of the critically important services it provides for our forces and their families and the national security programs it authorizes, but also because the Congress revised provisions that otherwise would have jeopardized the safety, security, and liberty of the American people. Moving forward, my Administration will interpret and implement the provisions described below in a manner that best preserves the flexibility on which our safety depends and upholds the values on which this country was founded.

Section 1021 affirms the executive branch's authority to detain persons covered by the 2001 Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) (Public Law 107-40; 50 U.S.C. 1541 note). This section breaks no new ground and is unnecessary. The authority it describes was included in the 2001 AUMF, as recognized by the Supreme Court and confirmed through lower court decisions since then. Two critical limitations in section 1021 confirm that it solely codifies established authorities. First, under section 1021(d), the bill does not "limit or expand the authority of the President or the scope of the Authorization for Use of Military Force." Second, under section 1021(e), the bill may not be construed to affect any "existing law or authorities relating to the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States, or any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United States." My Administration strongly supported the inclusion of these limitations in order to make clear beyond doubt that the legislation does nothing more than confirm authorities that the Federal courts have recognized as lawful under the 2001 AUMF. Moreover, I want to clarify that my Administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens. Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a Nation. My Administration will interpret section 1021 in a manner that ensures that any detention it authorizes complies with the Constitution, the laws of war, and all other applicable law.
Heruka

Re: obama signs NDAA

Postby Mr. G » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:11 pm

Yet another dissapointment from Obama.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Mr. G » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:33 pm

How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby maybay » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Lets do what we like and later look back and see if it was law. Since we can't change or forget the past we change the law and appease our conscience and its following. Why else would we do this?
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
maybay

Postby Nemo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:19 pm

What happened to you guys? A few bankers got blown up by some pissed off Arabs and you guys destroy your country for them.
Nemo

Postby Mr. G » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:36 pm

We live in a kleptocracy
    How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby ronnewmexico » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:57 pm

Well H..... :smile:

Is has now come full circle.The studies of the characteristics of warlike peoples have now been replicated and present now in the populace. With covert intention of overt effect.....to dominate and corrupt other societies of human nature.
With the psychology of fear and opression concurrent with such a theme occurs the necessity for supressions of considerations of freedom.

So has become this place america. All living in fear and distruct....enemies they do not exist we will create them and weapons with which to fight such imagined foes and bring them to their knees....and to what aim?

to what aim the question they never ask themselves?
It is so short this human life...to what aim this thing of dominance, that they have replicated. This tendency to fear.
Sadly they will die.....hounds of death will haunt them in their rebirth of tendency they will be that which they surpress....their enemy be their ownself, and know no other.
Imprisoned themselves they be.
No escape their tormentors they be themselves...never studied that.
Be I now in the forest, simply walking. This time this place......only effect of the individual being it seems....may be any effect upon them at all.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:53 am

"Of all the enemies to public liberty war, is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other."

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations."

James Madison (U.S. founding father, principal author of the Constitution, 4th pres.)
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Return to News & Current Events