A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:31 pm 

China`s repression in Tibet getting worse by the day, says Lobsang Sangay

Quote:
Tibetan Prime Minister-in-exile Lobsang Sangay has said that China's repression in Tibet is getting worse by each passing day.

"Since the 2008 uprising in Tibet, the situation in Tibet has been getting worse. Particularly as of March this year it has become even more tense and urgent with the increasing cases of self-immolation by young Tibetans who find China's occupation and repression in Tibet intolerable. Tibetans are driven to these drastic acts to resist political repression, cultural assimilation, economic marginalisation and environmental destruction," Sangay told the media here.

Two young men in southwestern China had set themselves on fire on October 7 protesting against Chinese rule in Tibet. .cont/.... here

Regards,

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:19 pm 

Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.
I am hoping things will turn soon - how much worse can things get before world govts DO something? You can see small moves happening - such as the Mexicans greeting HHDL despite pressure not to do so and the US govt withdrawing funding to the Chinese poor and giving funding to Tibetans in refugee settlements. These seem to show that at least 2 countries are not frightened by Chinese pressure. Maybe more will follow suit and China will find less 'support' for its dictations...? Or maybe I am just overly hopeful....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:46 pm 

Madeliaette wrote:
I am hoping things will turn soon - how much worse can things get before world govts DO something? You can see small moves happening - such as the Mexicans greeting HHDL despite pressure not to do so and the US govt withdrawing funding to the Chinese poor and giving funding to Tibetans in refugee settlements. These seem to show that at least 2 countries are not frightened by Chinese pressure. Maybe more will follow suit and China will find less 'support' for its dictations...? Or maybe I am just overly hopeful....

It is unlikely either the UN or any group of countries will ever do anything about what China is doing. However, climate change will.

HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."