YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

The Buddha, Imagination and The Artistic Process - Page 6 - Dhamma Wheel

The Buddha, Imagination and The Artistic Process

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
MayaRefugee

Re: The Buddha, Imagination and The Artistic Process

Postby MayaRefugee » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:43 am

pt1,

Thanks for another terrific contribution.

I've made a start on reading the material you recommended, looks like buying "Abhidhamma in Daily Life" will be on the cards - the linked electronic version only goes to chapter 8.

Kim,

"I've got nasty habits"....Mick Jagger - :tantrum:

I probably won't contribute to this thread till I make sense of all this new insight (which could be a while).

Peace.

pt1

Postby pt1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:45 am

pt1

Postby pt1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:16 pm

MayaRefugee

Postby MayaRefugee » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:52 am

pt1

Postby pt1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:44 am

Good quote. I really like the "Nay, it [the mind] is even more artistic than the art itself". So, seems like the best thing is to understand the mind first, and with that, one will automatically understand all the arts.

Best wishes

chownah

Postby chownah » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:47 pm

Is "Kindred Sayings, III, 151" a commentary?....or what is its standing in the heirarchy of Theravadin texts?
chownah

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:14 pm

สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

meindzai

Postby meindzai » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:03 pm

RE: The god thing

I'm not a theist, but I understand the motivation completely. Many artists, musicians, etc. talk about the creative "force" in terms that imply that they do not take personal responsibility for their "creation." In theistic or mystical terms, which typically don't involve a great deal of analysis, this is simply described as channeling some mystic force, or channeling God or whatever. Because that's exactly how it feels. If you've ever really been involved in a creative act it seems to come from absolutely nowhere.

Somebody versed in psychology could probably give you a good explanation of what's happening, using terms like ego, consious, subconsious, maybe superconsious. But the visceral experience is that it's not "me" that's creating anything. I've written compositions, songs, whatever that people have complimented me on and it's hard to even take the compliment seriously or have any pride around the work - it almost feels like you're taking credit for something somebody else did.

I've mentioned before that really Zen Buddhism, much moreso than Theravada has explored this in relation to the Buddhism, and they typically do it with reference to "non-duality." Or "no separation between subject and object." And it is looked at as a kind of expression of the not-self teaching. But there's a big caution here, which is that Buddhism doesn't take the non-separation of subject and object as an absorption into any cosmic entity. It simply says that there is no barrier. It doesn't say that "you are me and I am you and I am art and I am the universe." Becuase that still implies an "I." The Buddha denied all fabrications of an "I" no matter how cosmic or humble.

What *is* happening often during the creative process, and what Zen arts take advantage of, is that our normal discursive thinking fades into the background or is of secondary importance. Zen arts involve a complete and total mastery of the craft so that there is no "thought" involved in terms of technique or whatever, in other words a very quiet and meditative mindset.

Without analysing all of this from a standpoint of anatta or dependent origination it can look and feel very much like the will of a cosmic or divine power of some sort.

-M

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:56 am

:goodpost:

Kim

Virgo

Postby Virgo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:39 am

MayaRefugee

Postby MayaRefugee » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:19 am

Thanks Kevin (Virgo) - :bow:

Can someone point me in the right direction to understand what's going on when one first learns a mantra then conjures the intention to chant that mantra.

How is it possible for us to learn/hold on to/remember and then later recite that mantra?

Thanks in advance,

Peace.

pt1

Postby pt1 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:55 am

pt1

Postby pt1 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:37 pm

pt1

Postby pt1 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:47 pm

meindzai

Postby meindzai » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:09 pm

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:12 pm

we could do it kinda like the sutta study.
i'd like that
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

pt1

Postby pt1 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:42 am

MayaRefugee

Postby MayaRefugee » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:25 am

chownah

Postby chownah » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:47 pm

MayaRefugee,
It looks like you are slipping out of Theravaville and into Mahayanaland.......sutra, dharma, nirvana....these are the Mahayana near equivalents of the Theravada terms sutta, dhamma, and nibhanna. This is a Theravada forum....if you are wanting a wider search for Buddhist ideas concerning "art" etc. then you might consider also asking your questions in a Mahayana forum...or some such.
chownah

pt1

Postby pt1 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:35 pm

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”