Dangerous Growth of Depression

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Dangerous Growth of Depression

Postby sraddha » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:02 pm

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=7,8360,0,0,1,0

London, UK -- "Start each day by affirming peaceful, contented and happy attitudes and your days will tend to be pleasant and successful".

So wrote Norman Vincent Peale, author of the 1952 bestseller, The Power of Positive Thinking. Peale's prescription for contentment has been regurgitated and recycled in thousands of self-help books over the past half-century, but despite a never-ending avalanche of sales, the alluringly simple "think happy-be happy" formula hasn't made much of a dent in mental suffering. According to the World Health Organisation, depression is set to be the planet's second biggest cause of disability by 2020.

In my experience too, these affirmations of "think happy, be happy" never worked!

Buddhist meditation worked for me. I noticed I have far fewer mood swings than I did before Buddhist meditation.

The scary part is that depression is such a huge debilitating disease and is growing at such a high rate, and so few people have access to the Dharma!

CAN YOU IMAGINE -- 15% of teens in the US think they will die young:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/06/29/health/main5122141.shtml

A surprising number of teenagers - nearly 15 percent - think they're going to die young, leading many to drug use, suicide attempts and other unsafe behavior, new research suggests.

The study, based on a survey of more than 20,000 kids, challenges conventional wisdom that says teens engage in risky behavior because they think they're invulnerable to harm. Instead, a sizable number of teens may take chances "because they feel hopeless and figure that not much is at stake," said study author Dr. Iris Borowsky, a researcher at the University of Minnesota.

sraddha

Re: Dangerous Growth of Depression

Postby genkaku » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:29 am

Dear Sraddha -- As you point out, when it comes to the excitations of Buddhism, practice is a pretty good tool.
genkaku

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:05 am

Greetings,

As Buddhists, we have a decent enough idea on the causes of suffering... but even then, despite knowing what's what, still find ways to suffer.

Imagine what it's like for those who haven't got a clue why they suffer... I can understand and appreciate their helplessness.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes

Dhamma Wheel (Theravada forum) * Here Comes Trouble
retrofuturist
Founding Member

Postby sraddha » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:05 pm

Hi all,

I found the fact that 15% of youth see no future for themselves -- scary! That's truly a lost generation!

I can just imagine how many people are on medications for depression, the numbers are staggering!-- and they always stay on medication!
sraddha

Return to News & Current Events