The dangers of inhaling incense smoke !?

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

The dangers of inhaling incense smoke !?

Postby mindyourmind » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:22 pm

I saw this on The Buddhist Channel, and must say that I have never really checked my incense for its contents. Seems as if I should :rolleye:

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... 84,0,0,1,0
As bad as bad becomes its not a part of you

Talk Talk
mindyourmind

Re: The dangers of inhaling incense smoke !?

Postby fragrant herbs » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:44 pm

mindyourmind wrote:I saw this on The Buddhist Channel, and must say that I have never really checked my incense for its contents. Seems as if I should :rolleye:

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... 84,0,0,1,0

This is an important post. Thanks. I never burn incense because it gives me a headache. I find a scent that I really like, and I place the stick in a bowl of rice. Incense that I love are hard to find.
fragrant herbs

Postby Blue Garuda » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:52 pm

I believe there is a risk to pujaris and others who work in temples where there is much incense burning.

I do know of people who are blisfully unaware that incense smoke is actually smoke! Maybe they thought it was steam?!

I tend to have plenty of ventialtion, and also offer incense outdoors.

I would imagine that the Buddhas will accept incense as essential oil in very hot water, but using an incense burner with a candle and water has a risk from the candle smoke I guess.
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby Caz » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:30 pm

Im asthmatic so I cant, However for Incense I decided to use various perfumes and so on. Smells even better :tongue:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
Caz

Postby Indrajala » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:30 pm

Burn it all around until the air turns brown.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby Sherab Dorje » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:37 pm

Huseng wrote:Burn it all around until the air turns brown.
I'm with you on that one! You should see what happens when I do Riwo Sang Cho practice, we are talking billowing clouds of incense smoke! Anyway the article is talking about those cheap and nasty joss sticks. Truth is though, that whenever you burn anything it lets off lots of toxic chemicals as a consequence, but the joss sticks tend to be loaded with lots of toxic chemicals before being burnt so you can imagine what goes on as they are burnt!
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby mindyourmind » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:01 am

gregkavarnos wrote:
Huseng wrote:Burn it all around until the air turns brown.
I'm with you on that one! You should see what happens when I do Riwo Sang Cho practice, we are talking billowing clouds of incense smoke! Anyway the article is talking about those cheap and nasty joss sticks. Truth is though, that whenever you burn anything it lets off lots of toxic chemicals as a consequence, but the joss sticks tend to be loaded with lots of toxic chemicals before being burnt so you can imagine what goes on as they are burnt!

I was hoping for that being the case, Greg, as I also like to let rip with the smoke clouds :twothumbsup:
Is there any test or brand(s) that would not pose these types of dangers? Most of the incense I use don't really mention the contents on the packet, and I suppose even if they did ...

I tend to use the "Tibetan" varieties (Potala, Lotus etc), but then at times also the more "Indian" ones. It's a bit of a mood thing with me, I suppose.

Is there a rule of thumb with this challenge?

Talk Talk
mindyourmind

Postby Seishin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:19 pm

I'm asthmatic and so I use japanese smoke free incense. I'm not sure whether it's any less toxic, but at least I can breath better. :smile:
Seishin
Former staff member

Postby plwk » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:42 pm

I guess no matter how 'safe' it is made, moderation in usage is also a factor right?
Some temples/centres these days have a signage advising lighting only one stick as opposed to a truckload....how much more at home...
plwk

Postby Blue Garuda » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Just checked the anti-smoking legislation in the UK, and it would make sense that anything causing smoke should be banned for a workplace, however it would seem they specifically excluded incesne form the ban:

The question about the legality of burning incense was asked in the House of Lords and the Minister of Health confirmed this was not covered by the legislation.
"Let me get out of the way the question of joss sticks, incense, chewing tobacco and snuff for those who have a predilection in these areas. Noble Lords can carry on chewing their tobacco or taking their snuff unimpeded by the Bill. Joss sticks cannot be smoked, so they are not covered by the Bill, and the same applies to incense".

The guy clearly has never smoked juniper or geranium. Ahem! :emb:
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby Sherab Dorje » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:19 pm

mindyourmind wrote:Is there a rule of thumb with this challenge?
Stick to using natural incenses made from herbs and resins without the addition of synthetic perfumes (if it lists benzyl... or phenyl... avoid it) or (what I normally do, especially for sang purposes) make your own incense from natural herbs, spices, flowers, wood and resins and burn them on charcoal.
If you want to make incense pellets (instead of leaving the ncense in powder form) to burn on charcoal, then slowly drizzle honey into the powder mix until you make a "dough" then roll it into balls/pellets/disks and leave them to dry. If the mix contains lots of resins you can just mix it with water or even rose water or lemon blossom water and it'll stick together. If they remain sticky even after drying you can coat them with baby/talcum powder (unscented is even better).
Some of my favorite ingredients: clove powder, cinammon powder, frankincense resin, myrrh resin, benzoin, nutmeg powder, crushed amber, saffron, copal, sage, lavender, sandalwood powder, guggul (only for protectors, not for general offerings), crushed cedar wood or tips, pine resin, rose petals, the list goes on forever!
You can also add a little essential oil as well.
It's good to have a mortar and pestle that you use only for making incense coz if you use the mortar and pestle from last night when you were crushing garlic for the homemade pesto, well...
PS Even these natural ingredients produce some toxic substances when burnt, but obviously not to the same extent as when you burn toxic substances.
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby Sherab Dorje » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:24 pm

Yeshe wrote:The guy clearly has never smoked juniper or geranium. Ahem! :emb:
I have to admit that during my smoking days I was a sucker for aromatic tobacco mixes and especially Indonesian Kretek cigarettes. Clove flavoured cigarettes with a sweetened clove flavoured filter! My friend, who was an marketing exec for British American Tobaccos, told me that they were considering buying the company that produced Kretek cigarettes until they got the laboratory reports on the dioxin levels!
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby Blue Garuda » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:48 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:
Yeshe wrote:The guy clearly has never smoked juniper or geranium. Ahem! :emb:
I have to admit that during my smoking days I was a sucker for aromatic tobacco mixes and especially Indonesian Kretek cigarettes. Clove flavoured cigarettes with a sweetened clove flavoured filter! My friend, who was an marketing exec for British American Tobaccos, told me that they were considering buying the company that produced Kretek cigarettes until they got the laboratory reports on the dioxin levels!

I'm sure Borkum Riff is incense.........? :)

As a pipe smoker I had many wonderful experiences. Sometimes I also used tobacco.
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby mindyourmind » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:18 am

gregkavarnos wrote:
mindyourmind wrote:Is there a rule of thumb with this challenge?
Stick to using natural incenses made from herbs and resins without the addition of synthetic perfumes (if it lists benzyl... or phenyl... avoid it) or (what I normally do, especially for sang purposes) make your own incense from natural herbs, spices, flowers, wood and resins and burn them on charcoal.
If you want to make incense pellets (instead of leaving the ncense in powder form) to burn on charcoal, then slowly drizzle honey into the powder mix until you make a "dough" then roll it into balls/pellets/disks and leave them to dry. If the mix contains lots of resins you can just mix it with water or even rose water or lemon blossom water and it'll stick together. If they remain sticky even after drying you can coat them with baby/talcum powder (unscented is even better).
Some of my favorite ingredients: clove powder, cinammon powder, frankincense resin, myrrh resin, benzoin, nutmeg powder, crushed amber, saffron, copal, sage, lavender, sandalwood powder, guggul (only for protectors, not for general offerings), crushed cedar wood or tips, pine resin, rose petals, the list goes on forever!
You can also add a little essential oil as well.
It's good to have a mortar and pestle that you use only for making incense coz if you use the mortar and pestle from last night when you were crushing garlic for the homemade pesto, well...
PS Even these natural ingredients produce some toxic substances when burnt, but obviously not to the same extent as when you burn toxic substances.

Thank you, Greg, that sounds like a wonderful project. I will give that a try.

Talk Talk
mindyourmind

Return to News & Current Events