Help her.

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Help her.

Postby muni » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:35 pm

muni

Re: Help her.

Postby Individual » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:08 pm

Is this skillful? Will Iranian leaders' minds be changed because of an online petition or e-mail campaign?

What makes this one woman so important?
Individual

Postby muni » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:59 pm

Individual wrote:Is this skillful? Will Iranian leaders' minds be changed because of an online petition or e-mail campaign?

Yes, there is change right now, Individual.
We must help and not cling to emptiness in daily dreamlike mandala. When all harm just may happen is this an example? It is not this woman, it is about our interrationship with all. Others are part of us in no separation.
muni

Postby Individual » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:18 pm

Pity is not compassion.

And what's dreamlike is thinking that thoughts of compassion have a meaningful effect when they are not skillfully directed.
Individual

Postby Heruka » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:53 am

Individual wrote:What makes this one woman so important?

what if it was your mother or sister?

you went to get help, to stop the state government from murdering her, and you met an individual who asked you "what makes this one woman so important"?
Last edited by Heruka on Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heruka

Postby Heruka » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:54 am

Individual wrote:Pity is not compassion.

nor is indifference to suffering.
Heruka

Postby catmoon » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:41 am

Individual wrote:Is this skillful? Will Iranian leaders' minds be changed because of an online petition or e-mail campaign?

The same thing that makes you important. Don't throw it away.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby Luke » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:57 pm

Unfortunately, I was away on a trip, so I didn't see this until now. But I submitted the petition in case it can still do something.

Individual wrote:And what's dreamlike is thinking that thoughts of compassion have a meaningful effect when they are not skillfully directed.

Then what do you recommend as a more "skillful" way to help this woman? If you know something better, then DO it!
Luke

Postby Individual » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:55 pm

Heruka wrote:
Individual wrote:What makes this one woman so important?

what if it was your mother or sister?

you went to get help, to stop the state government from murdering her, and you met an individual who asked you "what makes this one woman so important"?

If it was my mother or sister, I would be especially prone to emotionally-driven delusions.

That individual would be a jerk, but it's a completely different context. :)
Individual

Postby muni » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:49 am

When simple sheep see one of them will be killed, they tremble of fear. How silly than humans must be when they know the truth and waste life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG_lNuNU ... re=related
muni

Postby muni » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:53 pm

muni

Postby Hanzze » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:12 pm

Pray for the contingent perpetrator! _/\_
Just that! :-)
Hanzze

Postby Luke » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:00 pm

Hanzze wrote:Pray for the contingent perpetrator! _/\_

Hannze, you probably didn't realize it, but the word "perpetrator" means someone who is guilty in English. However, it's not clear that Sakineh is guilty. She might very well be innocent. She only confessed to the crime after being tortured.

I can't find much info on Sakineh online. The latest news I read is that the Iranian government will not execute her by stoning her, but it's still unclear to me whether they will still execute her or not--hopefully not!

The international pressure on the Iranian government is certainly helping.

May she be aquitted and released soon!

OM MANI PEME HUNG
Luke

Postby Ogyen » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:32 pm

I as well, follow this case, and have contributed as I could through the means I have.

I appreciate others are taking an interest in this woman's right to freedom.

What makes this woman so different?

Nothing. Nothing makes her different than you or I. In fact, the difference is so minimal, you or I could be rotting in a jail cell subject to all sorts of abuses because of someone else's ignorance. I've actually been there... at the end of someone else's abuse in a jailcell of pure suffering.

Why do I help? Because I firmly believe if you can, you must. If I were her, someone outside of my country would give a darn about my wrongful incarceration, I'd feel humble and honored that my pleas don't just fall on the deaf ears of my theocratic government. Contributing is something I can do without too much effort, it would be quite indifferent of me (in my life) to turn a blind eye because of no blood relation or different cosmetic conditions.

Why do I help? Because I can, so I must.

I never forget, I could be her. I was her. And that makes it not even a choice to try to help. It's a natural succession in my choices that I would contribute, as it is the kind of action I've committed my life to.

In that sense, there is no difference in her case than millions of others, but the difference for me is I can access her cause. I cannot access every cause, but I should definitely keep in mind what is within the sphere of my choices... That is why I try.

EDIT: This case has already gotten postponed a lot, because of worldwide attention. The press and social activists are responsible for putting pressure of attention on Iran's government, this is good news. Bullies should be held accountable for bullying.

Had it not been for those who make a point to rally for this woman, she'd be dead already, as she was sentenced to stoning a while back... it just keeps getting pushed back, because the Iranian youth is irritated with their leadership, and I'm sure there are government fears of complete insurrection... so it's not just this woman's fate anymore, but possibly a very significant historical landmark in Iranian history and peoples.

Might just be me, but I bow at the depth of this single event. Her freedom is nothing to scoff at or ignore because in it lies the germinal seed of the fate of Iran's citizenry itself... and the people sense it, even if they don't name it, all the old ways are dying, and at a social level this unrest will find its manifestation in the conditions it has to manifest... does that make sense... it is because it must be, we are only acknowledging its depth of meaning to fellow humans.

:heart:
Ogyen.
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive Word Press
Mud to Lotus

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Ogyen

Postby Hanzze » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:06 am

Dear Luke,
I didnt mean to pray for her, pray for them who think that they need to punish. Its not up to her yet, so it would not make much sense to pray for her.
:-)
Hanzze

Postby muni » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:04 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/no ... ni-stoning

Should Mohammadi Ashtiani's life be spared it will be a victory for human rights activists and the media around the world who devoted a significant amount of time campaigning against her execution.
muni

Postby Luke » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:11 pm

muni wrote:Should Mohammadi Ashtiani's life be spared it will be a victory for human rights activists and the media around the world who devoted a significant amount of time campaigning against her execution.

Yes, it would be, but she still could be executed.

That's why it's important for us to still pray for her and to do whatever we can to prevent that from happening.

May her captors be wise enough and compassionate enough to let her go free!

OM MANI PEME HUNG OM MANI PEME HUNG OM MANI PEME HUNG OM MANI PEME HUNG

Luke

Postby Hanzze » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:39 am

Dear muni,

do you like a victory for Human Activist, or to help her. Many people are dying because of a wrong aim.
Hanzze

Postby muni » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:54 pm

Hanzze wrote:Dear muni,

do you like a victory for Human Activist, or to help her. Many people are dying because of a wrong aim.

Sakineh can be seen as our interbeing with all and everything.
I got once this to hear: How can we other ways act then wrong or good through limited duality of intellect? No any understanding is through coarse curtain of conceptual labeling mind and emotions from our imprisoned being. So we cannot understand the spontaneous interpenetrating radiance emerging in emptiness of all cloudlike being.
muni

Postby Hanzze » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:37 pm

:twothumbsup:
Bow for the people who care about others and everything. Don't start to define yourself in a work that is "just" a message out of the heart. Sooner or later you fight for your self and use the others to defend your image.
No critic, a motivation and deep respect.
Hanzze

Next

Return to News & Current Events