A horrifying story from China

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

A horrifying story from China

Postby Luke » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:19 pm

"An illegal pregnancy and a legal abortion"
http://blogs.aljazeera.net/asia/2010/10 ... l-abortion

I have to marvel at how calm this man is as he tells the details of what the Chinese government did to his wife. I doubt that I would be able to have such self control. Hearing about people harming pregnant women and children makes me furious.

The Chinese government desperately needs the ethical guidance of Buddhism. Otherwise, they will just create more misery.
Luke

Re: A horrifying story from China

Postby Individual » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:39 pm

There is no such thing as an "accidental pregnancy".

I don't know too much about the one-child policy, but compassion isn't alway nice. I thought the idea behind it is to prevent starvation and poverty, like they have in India. If it actually accomplishes that, wouldn't that be a good thing?
Individual

Postby Indrajala » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:36 am

Individual wrote:There is no such thing as an "accidental pregnancy".

I don't know too much about the one-child policy, but compassion isn't alway nice. I thought the idea behind it is to prevent starvation and poverty, like they have in India. If it actually accomplishes that, wouldn't that be a good thing?

There is no justification for murdering countless unborn children and forcing women into abortions.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby Individual » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:35 am

God, my words above are such a huge embarrassment. What on earth compels me to write such idiotic things? I shouldn't have said anything.

I'm not agreeing with your view, Huseng, but I hope you and anybody else who read that don't permanently think of me as an idiot.
Individual

Postby Silent Bob » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:47 pm

You seem to have a knack for this sort of over-the-top remark, if this and your more recent comments about 21 Taras are any indication.
Silent Bob

Postby Will » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:37 am

post deleted - quite easily too.
Last edited by Will on Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:21 pm

For god's sake, at eight months? This story is so sad.
I'm so sorry for this couple, may they find healing and peace /\
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Postby nirmal » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:56 pm

It is sad. I feel that the Chinese government should put the second child up for adoption to millions of childless couples in China instead of killing the innocent unborn in cases of 'accidental pregnancy'. I don't know if this will give rise to the rate of 'accidental pregnancy'. Kill a man or a woman, you go to jail.Kill the innocent unborn, you don't go to jail.What justice? What heavy karma!
nirmal

Postby nirmal » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Individual wrote:God, my words above are such a huge embarrassment. What on earth compels me to write such idiotic things? I shouldn't have said anything.

I'm not agreeing with your view, Huseng, but I hope you and anybody else who read that don't permanently think of me as an idiot.

Don't worry too much Individual.I am still happy with you because you are aware of what you have said.Even being aware a little late is still a good sign.There is great hope and you are giving yourself room for change.We always improve and change for the better with time.When are you writing your next poem?
nirmal

Postby Individual » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:26 pm

Actually, right now, I thinking my first post above isn't so bad. It is good to stick to principles, but principles should accord with cause & effect. There is no blame with either the mother & father, or with the Chinese government... There is blame when there is craving and that's hard to see. It could be that the couple were innocent victims of an oppressive government. Or it could be that the couple thoughtlessly had unprotected sex many times, knowing the possible results, and what has happened is their karma. It could be either way; in both cases, the story is the same but what is different is the interpretation, the layer of meaning that we add to it.

Silent Bob wrote:You seem to have a knack for this sort of over-the-top remark, if this and your more recent comments about 21 Taras are any indication.

Over-the-top, in what sense? It is not good to judge in terms of personhood.

If you are doubting my sincerity, don't.

Will wrote:Indy:
Use the edit button in the bottom right - if you really wish to remove your above post.

That's dishonest and disruptive, though.
Individual

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:31 pm

That's dishonest and disruptive, though.

It's okay to change your mind :smile:
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Return to News & Current Events