Dissent in the age of Obama

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Dissent in the age of Obama

Postby Luke » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:03 am

"Dissent in the age of Obama

Peace activists had high hopes of an Obama presidency only to face the harsh realities of FBI raids and intimidation..."

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/op ... 12813.html
Luke

Re: Dissent in the age of Obama

Postby ronnewmexico » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:23 pm

Yeah he sucks. Torture and such is why I got really involved in politics in 04 and remain to some degree and he seems to be continuing the policies. He could end guantanamo with the stroke of a pen so it has to lie strictly on him. Even the black site on guantanamo seems to continue. Assination orders on US citizens as well. Bush would never have openly done that, estimating the lefts outcry on such a event. Not openly like Obama has done.

Health care for the uninsured is a great thing but to allow and defend policies of torture to continue to my view is more importantly negative. I cannot abide a nation that tortures. Appointing summers geithner and that crew pretty much sets the stage from the get go. Sad as they really had a window there at that time to make some real change, just for a month or two they could have.

I guessed this would happen as it would with all the democrats except possibly kucinich. He however wouldn't have stood a chance in the general. The US gets exactly who they reflect to lead them to my opinion....all style no substance.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Return to News & Current Events