Riding Easy on Buddhism

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Riding Easy on Buddhism

Postby Mr. G » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:47 pm

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Riding-ea ... 92652.aspx

Riding easy on Buddhism

What is the favourite subject of most of the Delhi University Students Union (DUSU) candidates, especially those belonging to the two major parties, Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) and National Student’s Union Of India (NSUI)? It has to be MA in Buddhist Studies. This year as well, four out of the eight candidates from the two parties are pursuing MA in Buddhist Studies.

Ever wondered why these neta types get interested in the philosophical teachings of Buddha? Talking to a few students, it emerged that getting into the Buddhist Studies course is easier, even though there is an entrance examination.

Professor KTS Sarao, head, Department of Buddhist Studies, DU, says, “Unfortunately, a large number of shady characters wanting to fight elections try to get admitted in this department. Entrance exams were introduced just to avoid this. Most of them hardly come for the classes and frankly, they don't care. Some take admissions for getting the ticket and if their ticket gets cancelled, they either withdraw their admission or just don’t bother to appear for exams.”

MA in Buddhist Studies is a 2-year programme. It is an interdisciplinary course of Chinese, Tibetan, Sanskrit, Pali, Philosophy and History. Candidates however, claim that interest in Buddhism made them chose the course.

Current DUSU president Manoj Choudhary, who was also a student of MA in Buddhist Studies, says, “I find the course interesting. I was interested in studying in Delhi University. I decided to opt for something new and the history of Buddhism was very fascinating.” Interestingly, Choudhary did not appear for his exams.

“I did not appear for my exams since I finished my MBA course, which I had applied for two years back. Being an MBA is enough.”

Akshay Kumar, NSUI candidate for the post of joint secretary, says, “I had a first division and I could have joined MA Political Science. But I wanted to study Buddhism.”

Priya Dabbas, a candidate for the post of vice president from ABVP, is a first-year student of MA in Buddhist Studies. She says, “I graduated with Philosophy Hons and I was interested in the course. This is one course, in which you can study as well as concentrate on your work as a DUSU representative.”

Read between the lines.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Re: Riding Easy on Buddhism

Postby Indrajala » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:07 pm

It is an interdisciplinary course of Chinese, Tibetan, Sanskrit, Pali, Philosophy and History.

I'm going into the second year of my MA in Buddhist Studies. This statement here surprised me.

Either the students are fiercely dedicated or, as I suspect, you probably get an elementary overview of the above subjects.

I mean starting Chinese and Tibetan presumably from scratch (Sanskrit and Pali might not be so foreign to Indian students) coupled with thesis research and classwork will result in a surface study, but nothing too deep I imagine.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Return to News & Current Events