17th Karmapa's Vow to Reinstate Full Ordination for Women

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

17th Karmapa's Vow to Reinstate Full Ordination for Women

Postby Mr. G » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:03 pm

"I will do it": in the Tibetan Buddhist Tradition:

Llundup Damcho

The Seventeenth Gyalwang Karmapa stunned an international audience in Bodhgaya last winter by making an unprecedented declaration of commitment to ordaining women as bhikshunis in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition. Asked when there would be bhikshuni ordination in the Tibetan tradition, he leaned forward and said, in English, “I will do it.”

Read more here: http://www.upaya.org/newsletter/view/2010/07/19#story8
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Re: 17th Karmapa's Vow to Reinstate Full Ordination for Women

Postby ronnewmexico » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:15 pm

Thanks for providing this...

I have seen both seemingly disconcerting views of this thing...sitting in a temple learning ceremony, and having a Lama speak on the necssity of being a male and having that reinforced in prayer of sorts that specifically asks for rebirth as male....
And thinking...what the writer firstly wrote had to be....there are male and female aspects to all of any gender and both are necessary to attain what is called enlightenment, not just female and not just male.

And sitting at retreat house supposedly in silence, at that time many guest benefactors planning for a Rinpoche's visit and teaching in attendence....... a female benefactor stateing quite loudly and proudly....Lama so in so says Dharma in the west is to be led by females, not males.

Seemingly there is little benefit to state either is best or more necessary to attain enlightenment, both characteristics are necessary....compassion forgiveness, adaptability..... strength, stubborness amd singular determination....all aspects of our awareness are necessarily understood for enlightenement to be realized it seems...... and the dharma knows no gender bias nor requirement.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Re: 17th Karmapa's Vow to Reinstate Full Ordination for Women

Postby Luke » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:59 pm

Great! I didn't even know that Tibetan Buddhist nuns have been limited in this way up to now.

May all the Buddhist nuns of the world have their obstacles disappear like wisps of fog evaporating under the bright rays of the sun.
Luke

Return to News & Current Events