A 3-Year-Old Remembers ...

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

A 3-Year-Old Remembers ...

Postby plwk » Mon May 19, 2014 12:45 pm

...Past Life, Identifies Murderer and Location of Body

A 3-year-old boy in the Golan Heights region near the border of Syria and Israel said he was murdered with an axe in his previous life. He showed village elders where the murderer buried his body, and sure enough they found a man’s skeleton there. He also showed the elders where the murder weapon was found, and upon digging, they did indeed find an axe there.
More here
plwk

Re: A 3-Year-Old Remembers ...

Postby Ayu » Mon May 19, 2014 2:15 pm

What an impressive evidence!

I had some weird incidences with children in the age of 2 or 3. They led me to the conclusion that children of this young age can remember their past lifes to some extend and also that they are able to mind reading. :smile:
But my experiences with this matter were not so sensational.
Because, if our mothers, who have been kind to us
From beginningless time, are suffering,
What can we do with (just) our own happiness?
From 10th of 37 Bodhisattva Practices
Ayu

Postby Andrew108 » Mon May 19, 2014 2:35 pm

That story was reported by the Epoch Times which is affiliated with Falun Gong. The original case has not been proven. What we have is hearsay. Mostly it is adults who are leading the narrative.
The Blessed One said:

"What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This, monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All, I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range." Sabba Sutta.
Andrew108

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon May 19, 2014 5:53 pm

Andrew108 wrote:That story was reported by the Epoch Times which is affiliated with Falun Gong. The original case has not been proven. What we have is hearsay. Mostly it is adults who are leading the narrative.

And the Christian Science Monitor was founded by a Christian and Christian group, but still produces quality news articles.

Science doesn't prove anything, it just provides some evidence for some temporary explanations until we get more information.

Anything could be called hearsay, even hard evidence, as extreme skeptics show us.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby oushi » Mon May 19, 2014 7:04 pm

plwk wrote:A 3-year-old boy in the Golan Heights region near the border of Syria and Israel said he was murdered with an axe in his previous life. He showed village elders where the murderer buried his body, and sure enough they found a man’s skeleton there. He also showed the elders where the murder weapon was found, and upon digging, they did indeed find an axe there.
More here

Interesting story. I wonder how did he knew about the burial place, and ever more surprising, where did the murdered hide the weapon. Those are events that occurred after his death, so if he actually saw them, he can share more then his death, a lot more...
Say what you think about me here.
oushi

Postby Berry » Mon May 19, 2014 7:24 pm

The photo in the Epoch Times of a boy pointing, is just a stock image. It isn't the boy mentioned in the article.

:thinking:
"Don’t burden others with your expectations. Understanding their limitations can inspire compassion instead of disappointment " ~ Chagdud Tulku
Berry

Postby plwk » Tue May 20, 2014 1:41 am

The photo in the Epoch Times of a boy pointing, is just a stock image. It isn't the boy mentioned in the article.

:thinking:
And the point is? All who has posted before you here thus far have not mentioned anything about attributing the reported 3 year old in the case with any image used in the original article by The Epoch Times or what I myself posted the picture (as a décor for this thread) here...
plwk

Postby Wayfarer » Tue May 20, 2014 3:06 am

Ian Stevenson investigated many cases of children with past life memories. He followed a rigourous methodology and published many of his cases, in books like Children Who Remember Previous Lives: A Question of Reincarnation. His method was to subject all of the claims of memories of previous lives to scrutiny by checking them against newspaper reports, death certificates and the like. Such things as the presence of birth-marks on the site of injuries are quite commonly found in these cases. It is noteworthy that even many critics were obliged to admit that the evidence for genuine past-life memories was hard to discount, although, as can be expected, Stevenson was generally shunned by mainstream scientists, and dismissed as a pseudo-scientist by others.

So the question is, is someone a 'pseudo scientist' purely on the basis of the subject that they have chosen to study? If so, why?
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas
Wayfarer

Postby T. Chokyi » Tue May 20, 2014 3:08 am

Thanks for posting. Since a few more came to mind and I know where they are....well... :smile:

My Reincarnation - Festival Trailer

After twenty years of filming, Jennifer Fox's latest documentary is a fascinating story of the relationship between a father and son, Tibetan-trained Buddhist master Chögyal Namkhai Norbu and Khyentse Yeshi Namkhai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfJtcRxw3eo

Evidence of Reincarnation

Walter Semkiw, MD and Jim Tucker, MD discuss the reincarnation research of Ian Stevenson, MD, which involves children's past life memories..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w2MCpzE8u0

Story of James Leininger

Part One
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_EWwzFwUOxA

Part Two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5965wcH2Kx0

Unmistaken Child (2008)

Preview of the Movie: Trailer

http://www.amazon.com/Unmistaken-Child-Tenzin-Zopa/dp/B002SP41XM/ref=tmm_aiv_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1400550203&sr=1-1

The Movie

http://www.amazon.com/Unmistaken-Child-Dalai-Lama/dp/B002MZCSW4/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1400550203&sr=1-1&keywords=unmistaken+child

The Boy Who Lived Before

This six-year-old boy is called Cameron Macaulay. He is not much different from other boys of his age. What differentiates him from others is that he likes to talk about his "old mum", his former family and a white house standing on the bay. But none of them is related to his current life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QgOBfCrxS3U
T. Chokyi

Postby duckfiasco » Tue May 20, 2014 3:27 am

I recently shared this, but I recommend the book "Return To Life" by Jim Tucker. That book in particular along with careful consideration and seeing many such accounts all over the world has helped me come to accept rebirth.
There just comes a point where you start seeing yourself like a climate change denier.
Namu Amida Butsu
"When people of the Pure Land school chant Namu amida butsu, they are doing zazen with their mouths, and when we do zazen, we are performing Namu amida butsu with our whole body." - Kosho Uchiyama (Opening the Hand of Thought)
duckfiasco

Postby Wayfarer » Tue May 20, 2014 3:42 am

Jim Tucker has the chair that Ian Stevenson used to hold, at the University of Virginia.

That chair, incidentally, was endowed by a grant from Chester Carlson, who made his fortune from inventing the process of xerography. It is interesting to note that his wife was also very interested in such things, and that among other things, they also helped to finance the establishment the Rochester Zen Centre.

Wikipedia wrote:Carlson's wife Dorris got him interested in Hinduism, particularly the ancient texts known as the Vedanta, as well as in Zen Buddhism. They hosted Buddhist meetings, with meditation, at their home. After reading Philip Kapleau's book The Three Pillars of Zen, Dorris invited Kapleau to join their meditation group; in June 1966, they provided the funding that allowed Kapleau to start the Rochester Zen Center.
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas
Wayfarer

Postby tingdzin » Tue May 20, 2014 3:46 am

I hear of incidents like this (a child remembering aspects of a former life) now and then in rural Thailand, though the circumstances are not as sensational as murder. Sometimes the kid says things that are difficult to account for in any other way. Since about everybody is a Buddhist, though, such incidents are not regarded as something particularly unusual or wonderful, and there's usually no benefit for the child ,except perhaps to feel more securely placed in the village by remembering his or her past there.
tingdzin

Return to News & Current Events