The Dalai Lama Says Gay Marriage Is OK

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

The Dalai Lama Says Gay Marriage Is OK

Postby plwk » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:52 am

The Dalai Lama came out in support of marriage equality during a Larry King interview where he said that he is OK with same sex marriage.
More here
plwk

Re: The Dalai Lama Says Gay Marriage Is OK

Postby Tenso » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:32 am

So gay marriage is alright but homosexual acts are not.... ok?
Tenso

Postby asunthatneversets » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 am

Nighthawk wrote:So gay marriage is alright but homosexual acts are not.... ok?

The Dalai Lama didn't say anything against 'homosexual acts'. He merely stated that certain traditions may have guidelines and one should be mindful of that. Apart from that he said as long as both people are safe and the sex is consensual there's no issues.
asunthatneversets

Postby Tenso » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:55 am

asunthatneversets wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:So gay marriage is alright but homosexual acts are not.... ok?

The Dalai Lama didn't say anything against 'homosexual acts'. He merely stated that certain traditions may have guidelines and one should be mindful of that. Apart from that he said as long as both people are safe and the sex is consensual there's no issues.

But he did define homosexual acts as sexual misconduct before. That would be in the same category as rape, adultery etc.
Tenso

Postby Wayfarer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:04 am

He said in 1997 that there was nothing wrong with same-sex relations 'from the secular point of view' but that there are traditional prohibitions on certain acts which he is in no position to challenge. He also said that it is not as if he can 'change the policy' in the way that secular democracies can change their laws.
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas
Wayfarer

Postby michaelb » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:07 am

HH Dalai Lama is a monk and has been for almost all of his life. This, imo, makes him particularly unqualified to give advice on sex. I'm always surprised by lay people asking celebate people about sex. Maybe it's just done subconsciously to make the celebate person feel bad.
michaelb

Postby Clarence » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:21 am

MichaelB,

You might be right but I think it has more to do with people wanting to know HH's opinion as he is considered THE Buddhist as well as a secular leader of an exiled nation (truth is different of course). Also, a lot of religious Christian celibates are vehemently opposed to any homosexual acts or gay rights legislation. So, I will give Larry the benefit of the doubt and assume he was just asking to contrast HH's view with most Christian celibates and even with non-celibate Christian Tea-Party members.
Clarence

Postby Simon E. » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:30 am

Its not just ' Christians and tea party members ' who are opposed to homosexual activity and equal rights. There are Buddhists who are members of this forum who are equally so opposed.
It will be interesting to see if any of them respond to this thread.... :popcorn:
Simon E.

Postby Wayfarer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:30 am

MichaelB wrote:I'm always surprised by lay people asking celibate people about sex.

It's not about education, it's about validation.
Learn to do good, refrain from evil, purify the mind ~ this is the teaching of the Buddhas
Wayfarer

Postby Alfredo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:16 am

I'm surprised he doesn't get more heat for all the child abuse that goes on in Tibetan monasteries. The Catholic Church has been a model of openness by comparison.
(no longer participating on this board)
Alfredo

Postby Seishin » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:20 am

Alfredo wrote:I'm surprised he doesn't get more heat for all the child abuse that goes on in Tibetan monasteries. The Catholic Church has been a model of openness by comparison.

I think that statement is a bit unfair.
Seishin
Former staff member

Postby buddhily » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:28 pm

As a gay woman I'm glad the Dalai Lama thinks me getting married one day is not a problem. It's a shame gay marriage and gay people are still being treated unequally. Especially in Russia and other countries where it's illegal and punishable by death. Maybe soon everyone will realise we're just human beings trying to be happy. Whether you think homosexual act is immoral or not, I can't help who I'm attracted to just like you can't. When people realise it's not a choice, maybe they will think and open their minds and realise we just want equality and fairness. :twothumbsup:
buddhily

Postby Clarence » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:48 pm

Simon E. wrote:Its not just ' Christians and tea party members ' who are opposed to homosexual activity and equal rights. There are Buddhists who are members of this forum who are equally so opposed.
It will be interesting to see if any of them respond to this thread.... :popcorn:

Good point Simon. Often those people are monks.
Clarence

Postby Alfredo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:48 pm

Seishin:
I think that statement is a bit unfair.

You may be right. I'm unsure about it myself. In another thread, someone related that a Western tulku had written him a letter informing him of some of these things, only to receive a reply telling him to mind his own business. Certainly it would be difficult to name any lama willing to criticize his colleagues, even for something like child rape.

This sounds like it shouldn't be related to the gay issue, but it is. It's not like Uganda, where popular anti-gay sentiment is motivating religious leaders to speak out against gays. No, the Tibetan Buddhist situation is just a consequence of a wider assumption that the venerable ancient figures who said such things are enlightened beings who could never be wrong, and the texts which record these utterances are correct as well. Take that away, and you take away the authority of the lamas.
(no longer participating on this board)
Alfredo

Postby odysseus » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:14 pm

Clarence wrote:he is considered THE Buddhist as well as a secular leader of an exiled nation

The Dalai Lama is no longer the temporal leader for Tibet. He has withdrawn from all politics.
odysseus

Postby michaelb » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:33 pm

odysseus wrote:
Clarence wrote:he is considered THE Buddhist as well as a secular leader of an exiled nation

The Dalai Lama is no longer the temporal leader for Tibet. He has withdrawn from all politics.
erm, that's why Clarence said, "(truth is different of course)".
michaelb

Postby odysseus » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:24 am

michaelb wrote:HH Dalai Lama is a monk and has been for almost all of his life. This, imo, makes him particularly unqualified to give advice on sex. I'm always surprised by lay people asking celebate people about sex. Maybe it's just done subconsciously to make the celebate person feel bad.

The Dalai Lama knows his scriptures, that´s what they are asking about - the Buddhist opinion. It´s society that wants us to obsess about sex, I don´t believe a celibate person would feel bad about it. It´s a personal choice, not a commandment. Sex is easy, you don´t need to be John Holmes to understand anything about it.
odysseus

Postby Adi » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:01 am

Thanks for posting the clip from the interview. I take his comments as good news and I like how he emphasized it was a personal matter.

Adi
Adi

Postby Simon E. » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:11 am

Clarence wrote:
Simon E. wrote:Its not just ' Christians and tea party members ' who are opposed to homosexual activity and equal rights. There are Buddhists who are members of this forum who are equally so opposed.

Good point Simon. Often those people are monks.

At least two of the forums most anti-gay proponents historically, are not monks. :namaste:
Simon E.

Postby dzoki » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:52 pm

While I am not against gay marriage, to me it is as if blind people were complaining that they cannot go watch movies, but well if they really want it, then let them have it.
What I find really strange though is all this fuss that media and governments and also gay people themselves make about LGBTI minority, last month we had a "History of LGBTI month". Now what kind of nonsense is that? Is gay pride march not enough? Though that I also find funny. I mean I don´t care that someone is gay or lesbian or whatever, it is their own private thing and does not bother me at all, but why do some of those people feel such urge to publicize that so much? I find that a bit odd.
dzoki

Next

Return to News & Current Events