IS THE DALAI LAMA SAFE?

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

IS THE DALAI LAMA SAFE?

Postby Malcolm » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:55 pm

http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Re: IS THE DALAI LAMA SAFE?

Postby kirtu » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:38 pm

It is shocking that anyone unauthorized was allowed near HHDL.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby odysseus » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:54 pm

There´s nothing to worry about. The Dalai Lama can handle himself. These "enemies" are not dangerous, they´re just angry.
Buddha is best on Earth!
My lord is best...
odysseus

Postby Malcolm » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:08 pm

odysseus wrote:There´s nothing to worry about. The Dalai Lama can handle himself. These "enemies" are not dangerous, they´re just angry.

Don't be so sure...

http://tinyurl.com/l337nwj
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby Caz » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:02 am

Safe ? He has nothing to worry about from protesters that would defeat the point of peaceful protest and not do any good.
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
Caz

Postby Sherlock » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:08 am

Caz wrote:Safe ? He has nothing to worry about from protesters that would defeat the point of peaceful protest and not do any good.

Actually that was rhe point of the article. These protestors are making a lot of noise but ultimately not as dangerous as a real Chinese assassin.
Sherlock

Postby Caz » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:19 am

Sherlock wrote:
Caz wrote:Safe ? He has nothing to worry about from protesters that would defeat the point of peaceful protest and not do any good.

Actually that was rhe point of the article. These protestors are making a lot of noise but ultimately not as dangerous as a real Chinese assassin.

If the Chinese had wanted to kill him they would have done it by now, The reality is HHDL will pass away before China does.
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
Caz

Postby Sherlock » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:33 am

True i don't think they have much to gain by killing him and in fact if it looks suspicious it would probably set off mass unrest in tibet. They are content to sow doubt and discord in the tibetan community.
Sherlock

Postby davcuts » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:15 am

Tibetan Government announcement concerning Dolgyal - March 19th 2014

Tibetan Parliament passes resolution concerning Dolgyal________________________________________March 19, 2014 4:34 pm(Document no. 22/English Translation)

ResolutionWhereas,Since the time of the Fifth Dalai Lama, all the successive Dalai Lamas and many great masters have placed stringent restrictions on the propitiation of harmful spirit of Dolgyal for Tibet’s common spiritual and political interests. Like his predecessors, His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama, following a long and careful investigation, has also clearly advised against the propitiation of Dolgyal. A large number of Tibetans have followed his advice and gave up propitiating Dolgyal.However, a small number of Tibetans have remained ignorant about the propitiation.

In order to lead the ignorant to righteous path, the Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile unanimously passed resolutions on 6 June 1996, 17 September 1997 and 15 March 2008. The majority of Tibetans – including the both monastic and lay community particularly the three monastic seats – who have acted upon the resolutions deserves appreciation.Yet, a small number of ignorant Dolgyal propitiators have no consideration for Tibet’s spiritual and political interests and the personal security of His Holiness the Dalai Lama. They are being deceived by the Chinese government through monetary and material incentive and are used as political tools. They have been also instigating foreigners to carry out disinformation campaigns at every opportunity. In a recent incident in San Francisco, they employed a handful of people, who are completely ignorant about the basic principles of Buddhism, to slander His Holiness the Dalai Lama with baseless accusations. To present these misdeeds for fair and correct understanding of the Tibetan people and the people of the world who support truth and justice, it is imperative that the following resolution be passed to reiterate and implement the earlier resolutions adopted by the House.

The Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile, on 17 March 2014, unanimously passed the following resolution:

(1) Reaffirms to carefully follow up the series of resolutions unanimously passed by the Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile on this issue in 1996, 1997 and 2008.

(2) Recognises and resolves to collectively disseminate to all people the actual issue as per the resolution/section (B) of article 5 passed during the Conference of the Heads, Abbots, Lamas/Trulkus and Representatives of the four schools of Tibetan Buddhism and Bon religion in 2009. It states: “Worshipping the worldly gods, particularly spirits for protection, contravenes the principle of following the three refuge in Buddhism. The conference unequivocally proclaims that any individuals or organisation propitiating Dolgyal, would not be affiliated to any Tibetan religious school.”

(3) Recognises clearly the actions of Dolgyal followers as a political tool to create discord within the Tibetan community under the influence and deception of monetary gains, and to denigrate His Holiness the Dalai Lama with baseless allegations. The Parliament would like to make it clear that the issue has nothing to do with religious freedom. Further recognises also the Dolgyal followers and others – whose have caused grave harm to the faith and polity of Tibet under the Chinese government’s ploy and in violation of the law of Karma – as criminals in history.

(4) As advised by the intelligence agencies of the US and India on the need to ensure greater security for His Holiness the Dalai Lama, the Tibetan administration and the entire Tibetan people must remain vigilant. Moreover, the Department of Security, the local Tibetan administration, and the Representatives of the Offices of Tibet should maintain close coordination with the central and state government of India and concerned governments of the overseas countries respectively in advance to ensure greater security for His Holiness the Dalai Lama during his visits.

(5) Directs the Kashag to carry out a thorough investigation into real motives of the Dolgyal followers for their recent activities in San Francisco and accordingly issue firm directives to prevent future incidents.

http://tibet.net/2014/03/20/tibetan-par ... g-dolgyal/
davcuts

Postby JKhedrup » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:42 am

The protestors used monastic robes as a ploy to get close, I am sure posing as devotees, how else would they get into the hotel? There was a security breach for sure, which is always something of a concern. It was clearly not an attempt at dialogue either, as clearly demonstrated by the 'nun' (not holding any vinaya ordination) repeating the same tired slogans on the placards when HHDL was speaking.

Being around Sera at the moment, I can easily refute any claims that anybody is homeless- the 'other camp' as I call it has a huge new assembly hall down the road and kept all the buildings. Although there are only about 25 Tibetans staying there, the rest deciding to stay in sera despite the newer facilities of the other camp monastery. Balance of the rest of the 250 is young monks brought in from Nepal. There are clearky other agendas at work behind these protests, which should be investigated. However, it could be just a case of megolamania of the lama behind the org. Whose members dominate the protests. I actually feel sorry for them, long time teachers with no other job prospects were fired for not participating last time.

also the incident shows that HHDL needs to stay in International standard hotels rather than Super 8 because they can provide diplomatic security, which he obviously needs. Too precious to risk it.
A foolish man proclaims his qualifications,
A wise man keeps them secret within.
A straw floats on the surface of water,
But a precious gem placed upon it sinks to the depths
-Sakya Pandita
JKhedrup

Postby Adi » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:56 am

When HH Dalai Lama is in the US, he is afforded Secret Service protection. They are clearly visible in the video linked in the original posted news link. I am very happy they are around him and think he is physically very safe under such circumstances.

Adi
Adi

Postby Adi » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:04 am

Caz wrote:...If the Chinese had wanted to kill him they would have done it by now….

That is something the Chinese government has probably considered long ago and decided that a martyred figure would be a disaster whose repercussions and consequences would be frighteningly unpredictable. Better to let him pass peacefully and then go about picking his successor as they've stated they have the right to do.

Adi
Adi

Postby Tsongkhapafan » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:11 am

JKhedrup wrote:The protestors used monastic robes as a ploy to get close, I am sure posing as devotees, how else would they get into the hotel?

It might surprise you to know that the protestors were ordained, that's why they were wearing ordained robes.

JKhedrup wrote:There are clearky other agendas at work behind these protests, which should be investigated.

The only agenda for the protests is to restore religious freedom for a certain section of the Buddhist community for which it is currently denied. Any other imputation is political and an attempt to undermine the peaceful protest.
Tsongkhapafan

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:21 am

Tsongkhapafan wrote:It might surprise you to know that the protestors were ordained, that's why they were wearing ordained robes.
So if I made up an ordination lineage (not recognised by any official lineage), with my own vinaya, shaved my head and wore monks robes would I be considered ordained too? Obviously not. Essentially that is what is happening in this instance.
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby JKhedrup » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:14 pm

Funny that people who call HHDL the worst dictator of the 20th century dare to talk about politics. Makes a mockery of the holocaust and the Rwandan genocide. It is despicable marketing of a lie essentially. No excuse for such language.

Do not try to pull the wool over the eyes of people here. I am at Sera for 2 months and know the allegations of homelessness etc. Are lies. The other camp at Pomra kept all the dorms and built a huge new temple.

This is all about am organizations attempt to destroy HHDL and nothing else.
A foolish man proclaims his qualifications,
A wise man keeps them secret within.
A straw floats on the surface of water,
But a precious gem placed upon it sinks to the depths
-Sakya Pandita
JKhedrup

Postby Knotty Veneer » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:34 pm

I am surprised to see the NKT back on this track again.

Their pickets of HHDL events in the 1990s proved counter-productive, brought them a lot of emnity from other non-Tibetan Buddhist groups and turned off members of the public who were interested in learning to meditate because of the example of HHDL. I think in the UK it made people start asking questions as to who they really are (they were and may still be the biggest UK Buddhist demonination through dint of fairly energetic prosletyzation) and I think even brought enquiries into their tax and charitable statuses.

Seems they can't leave it alone. Can't imagine it will be anything other than counter-productive this time round either.
Everyone talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it - Mark Twain.
Knotty Veneer

Postby plwk » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:26 pm

It might surprise you to know that the protestors were ordained, that's why they were wearing ordained robes.
So if I made up an ordination lineage (not recognised by any official lineage), with my own vinaya, shaved my head and wore monks robes would I be considered ordained too? Obviously not. Essentially that is what is happening in this instance.
Me thinks that's what the Brahmins, Jains, Ajivikas and the entire forest hangout dudes of the Lord's day were wondering too huh?
That Sramana Gautama has his own new club, conduct and costumes now? Oh boy!
:lol: :roll:
plwk

Postby plwk » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:30 pm

...If the Chinese had wanted to kill him they would have done it by now….

That is something the Chinese government has probably considered long ago and decided that a martyred figure would be a disaster whose repercussions and consequences would be frighteningly unpredictable. Better to let him pass peacefully and then go about picking his successor as they've stated they have the right to do.

Adi
Right on. Just like the on going MH370 case, no matter how the Great Dragon is bellowing fumes and fire, it still has to hold back the fireballs from the Malaysian government, however frustrating it is...
plwk

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:47 pm

plwk wrote:Me thinks that's what the Brahmins, Jains, Ajivikas and the entire forest hangout dudes of the Lord's day were wondering too huh?
That Sramana Gautama has his own new club, conduct and costumes now? Oh boy!
:lol: :roll:
You are comparing the NKT ordination to The Conquerors Vinaya lineage? You think GKG is on the same level as the Buddha (or even Mahavira)?
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator

Postby Tsongkhapafan » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:04 pm

Sherab Dorje wrote:So if I made up an ordination lineage (not recognised by any official lineage), with my own vinaya, shaved my head and wore monks robes would I be considered ordained too? Obviously not. Essentially that is what is happening in this instance.

Essentially, this is not what is happening in this case. The ordination lineage is not made up (the practice of the three higher trainings has always been the path to liberation), the vinaya is also not made up (it's Kadam Lamrim, the essence of all Buddha's teachings) and the robes are not made up either.

All the best.
Tsongkhapafan

Next

Return to News & Current Events