China Tells Obama not to meet Dalai Lama

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

China Tells Obama not to meet Dalai Lama

Postby Adamantine » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:46 pm

“We urge the United States to take China's concerns seriously and not to facilitate or offer occasion for the Dalai Lama to conduct anti-China secessionist moves,” foreign ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said in a press release.
“By arranging a meeting between the President and the Dalai Lama, the US side will grossly interfere in the internal affairs of China, seriously violate norms governing international relations and severely impair China-US relations. China expresses firm opposition. We urge the US to take China's concerns seriously, immediately cancel the meeting, and not to provide facilitation and platform for the Dalai Lama to carry out anti-China separatist activities in the US,” Hua said.

- See more at: http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/china-urges-obama-to-cancel-meeting-with-dalai-lama/article1-1186409.aspx#sthash.3BbxCY0h.dpuf
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Re: China Tells Obama not to meet Dalai Lama

Postby Indrajala » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:56 pm

The president actually gains their begrudging respect by defying their request not to meet the Dalai Lama.

It like Yasukuni and the Japanese ministers visiting it. Beijing makes a big fuss about it, but at the end of the day if the Japanese said sorry and stopped going it would make them look weak and China's leadership would perceive this as reason to demand more.

In East Asia you don't earn respect by being apologetic and caving into foreign demands.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby Malcolm » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:56 pm

Adamantine wrote:“We urge the United States to take China's concerns seriously and not to facilitate or offer occasion for the Dalai Lama to conduct anti-China secessionist moves,” foreign ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said in a press release.
“By arranging a meeting between the President and the Dalai Lama, the US side will grossly interfere in the internal affairs of China, seriously violate norms governing international relations and severely impair China-US relations. China expresses firm opposition. We urge the US to take China's concerns seriously, immediately cancel the meeting, and not to provide facilitation and platform for the Dalai Lama to carry out anti-China separatist activities in the US,” Hua said.

- See more at: http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/china-urges-obama-to-cancel-meeting-with-dalai-lama/article1-1186409.aspx#sthash.3BbxCY0h.dpuf

Well, you have to commend them on their persistence.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:58 pm

Indrajala wrote:The president actually gains their begrudging respect by defying their request not to meet the Dalai Lama.

No bunch of commies is going to tell the leader of the free world what to do. :guns:
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby plwk » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:27 pm

If only the leader of the free world is that free to begin with... these days, money and economic power speaks louder than good ole commies...
plwk

Postby greentara » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:48 pm

plwk,You are so right. If what you see in America is democracy...I'll eat my hat. As far as I can see the powerful corporations and lobby groups are running the show.
greentara

Postby shaunc » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:50 pm

greentara wrote:plwk,You are so right. If what you see in America is democracy...I'll eat my hat. As far as I can see the powerful corporations and lobby groups are running the show.

plwk wrote:If only the leader of the free world is that free to begin with... these days, money and economic power speaks louder than good ole commies...

Yep. Whoever pays the piper calls the tune.
shaunc

Postby kirtu » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:59 am

Malcolm wrote:No bunch of commies is going to tell the leader of the free world what to do. :guns:

Angela Merkel and David Cameron don't kowtow to Bejing.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby greentara » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:41 am

China, which calls the Dalai Lama a “wolf in sheep’s clothing” For China to be name calling is laughable! As most of Asia and India are highly suspicious of any Chinese statement or action which is always expansionist.
greentara

Postby Indrajala » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:31 am

greentara wrote:China, which calls the Dalai Lama a “wolf in sheep’s clothing” For China to be name calling is laughable! As most of Asia and India are highly suspicious of any Chinese statement or action which is always expansionist.

India is just as expansionist as China was in recent times. They just use different tactics. Their system is even more crooked and dishonest than the Chinese. Just look at all the insurgencies inside India at present, which is supposed to be a democratic country with an empowered population. In China the officials might be corrupt, but at least the people get something out of the arrangement like decent infrastructure and healthcare.

Some Indian nationalists basically think the former south Asian territories of the British Empire can and should be part of the Republic of India. If you want to see what Indian servicemen think, read India Defence Forum:

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/

I actually hold out more hope for China than India. In China the elites actually have precise plans for the future and have managed to pull off a lot more than the Indians ever have in modern times. They actually get stuff done, unlike India which can't even provide the most basic sanitation for half the population.
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby Indrajala » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:32 am

kirtu wrote:Angela Merkel and David Cameron don't kowtow to Bejing.

Kirt

Not yet.
Dharma Depository (Site)

Indrajala

Postby odysseus » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:33 am

He´s coming to Norway (my country of birth) in May. No politicians have agreed to meet him yet. Norway does not recognize Tibet as an independent country which is a shame for my people (we tout ourselves as followers of peace and human rights - what a joke) and the UN is a coward (hard to have faith in them). Tibet is like Norway during the second world war - occupied, but nobody remembers. But I don´t mind a private visit. Free Tibet now!
Last edited by odysseus on Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buddha is best on Earth!
My lord is best...
odysseus

Postby odysseus » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:37 am

Indrajala wrote:Some Indian nationalists basically think the former south Asian territories of the British Empire can and should be part of the Republic of India.

I´m glad the British never got Nepal. Because they we´re not able to colonize there, you can find authentic spirituality in Nepal still.
Buddha is best on Earth!
My lord is best...
odysseus

Postby Indrajala » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:57 am

odysseus wrote:He´s coming to Norway (my country of birth) in May. No politicians have agreed to meet him yet. Norway does not recognize Tibet as an independent country which is a shame for my people (we tout ourselves as followers of peace and human rights - what a joke) and the UN is a coward (hard to have faith in them). Tibet is like Norway during the second world war - occupied, but nobody remembers. But I don´t mind a private visit. Free Tibet now!

And who exactly recognizes Tibet as an independent country?

The Tibetans were conquered and subjugated. They have no allies to act as champions for them. It is not in the interests of any nation to fight for Tibet, not even China's opponents India and Japan.
Dharma Depository (Site)

Indrajala

Postby odysseus » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:28 am

The Dalai Lama certainly deserves some support for his efforts! I don´t have any solution either but maybe one day China will stop thinking expansion and power and return to it´s Buddhist roots. Mao is long retired and they get so powerful they no longer need Tibet. Wishful thinking but I try to be patient. Even though Buddhism is ruined there and it´s no longer the "holiest country in the world" now full of whores and pimps. We as Buddhist should stand up against oppression and provide support wherever it is! Even if it takes a 100 years, Tibet will be a free country - look what happened to East-Timor and the African colonies.
Buddha is best on Earth!
My lord is best...
odysseus

Postby Zhen Li » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:32 am

Wow, East-Timor is independent? I didn't even know! :woohoo:
Zhen Li

Postby odysseus » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:43 am

Zhen Li wrote:Wow, East-Timor is independent? I didn't even know! :woohoo:

http://www.easttimorgovernment.com

Nice...

As humans and Buddhists we value freedom and autonomy. Let us be hasty in serving any oppressed sisters and brothers needs whatever their convictions.
Last edited by odysseus on Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buddha is best on Earth!
My lord is best...
odysseus

Postby Adamantine » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:44 am

odysseus wrote:Even though Buddhism is ruined there and it´s no longer the "holiest country in the world" now full of whores and pimps.

Actually Buddhism is still thriving in Tibet despite the oppression, not sure where you are getting your info.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Zhen Li » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:50 am

For every argument rife with negativity, you'll find a counter argument full of positivity.

Wherever you think there is only evil, there you'll also find good.

Are the Chinese administrators of Tibet all anti-Dharma? In secret, when meeting with Lamas, many of them will do prostrations out of devotion. We're not supposed to know this of course.

Most things aren't black and white, your mind just wants it to be that simple. :namaste:
Zhen Li

Postby plwk » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:50 am

Angela Merkel and David Cameron don't kowtow to Bejing.

plwk

Next

Return to News & Current Events