European Primary School To Teach Buddhist Principles

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

European Primary School To Teach Buddhist Principles

Postby reddust » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:47 am

This is a wonderful news for those who are interested in Budhism in Brighton UK and sets a great example for those who want to set up a school similar to this in other parts of UK and Europe. As we already aware there is a huge interest for the knowledge in Buddhism, Buddhist civilization and its lifestyle in many parts of Europe. Small initiatives such as this with time will attract more followers. Read more for the full story as it appeared on http://www.buddhistchannel.tv.

The Dharma Primary School in Brighton, UK offers rounded academic education rooted in mindfulness – helping children develop creativity, empathy, self-awareness and confidence

Dharma Primary School, in Brighton, is the only primary school in the UK to offer an education based on Buddhist values. This independent school isopen to children aged 3-11 from all religious faiths and cultural backgrounds, providing a quality academic education combined with Buddhist teachings to support the development of mindfulness, compassion and communal responsibility.

Although a small community school, The Dharma Primary is helmed by skilled and committed staff, in which children are groomed to excel in a safe, secure and nurturing environment.

I checked out the head teacher Peter Murdock he seems to be linked to (http://www.amaravati.org). What a great idea!

The school provides a sound quality academic education informed by the National Curriculum, but with the flexibility and creativity to respond to the children’s needs, talents and interests. Children develop confidence, motivation and a love of learning enabling them to do well academically and to make a successful transition to local independent and state secondary schools.

Through Buddhist based ethos and daily meditation and mindfulness practice, teachers encourage children to cultivate focus, self-reflection, wisdom and compassion. Buddhism is not taught as a ‘faith’, but as a set of principles and tools for living a productive and fulfilling life.(http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 03196.html)
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
reddust

Re: European Primary School To Teach Buddhist Principles

Postby tidathep » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:33 pm

reddust wrote:This is a wonderful news for those who are interested in Budhism in Brighton UK......

Through Buddhist based ethos and daily meditation and mindfulness practice, teachers encourage children to cultivate focus, self-reflection, wisdom and compassion. Buddhism is not taught as a ‘faith’, but as a set of principles and tools for living a productive and fulfilling life.(http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 03196.html)

-------------
Sawaddee Ka..Reddust,

A wonderful news for me indeed! I hope this school is successful/popular.

As a mother years ago...I had to quit my job.....took my daughter to school...picked her up everyday...was with her at every school parties/events....prayed that she be a Buddhist by heart not because I forced her...took her to Thai temples ...let her do meritorious deeds..paid homage to the Buddha statues...prayed everynight.. I must say that all my hard works/sacrifice paid off...my daughter is a true Buddhist !

tidathep
tidathep

Postby reddust » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:14 pm

tidathep wrote:Sawaddee Ka..Reddust,

A wonderful news for me indeed! I hope this school is successful/popular.

As a mother years ago...I had to quit my job.....took my daughter to school...picked her up everyday...was with her at every school parties/events....prayed that she be a Buddhist by heart not because I forced her...took her to Thai temples ...let her do meritorious deeds..paid homage to the Buddha statues...prayed everynight.. I must say that all my hard works/sacrifice paid off...my daughter is a true Buddhist !

tidathep

I think this school will flourish along with other others following their example. Parents are looking for schools that promote how to learn and be kind rather than following the rules, teaching kids to be afraid of authority, and learning how to take test. I home schooled 3 of my kids during their middle school years (11-13) because your middle school was so violent even though we lived out in the country. I am not just talking bullying violence, but the way our public schools teach my kids, I seriously disagree with their methods. All my kids are doing well, I pulled two out and sent them to community college rather than go through our high school system which seems to dumb kids down rather than teach them critical thinking skills and healthy social skills. Hardest job in the world being a parent, Tidathep, I am so happy your little one had the best and used it well, good karma :namaste:
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
reddust

Postby greentara » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:20 pm

At first glance it looks good, perhaps even promising but when scrutinised an unenlightened person teaches "The Way" you can guarantee it's dead as a dodo.
I saw a program a while back about kids that attended a Hare Krishna school, it really didn't rope them in long term as upon becoming young adults most of them left the religious trappings behind completely.
A better solution would be after school Buddhist meditation for older children mature enough to understand a little of the Buddhas message.
Ultimately a rare child will be really fascinated and absorb the essence in an instant.
greentara

Postby shaunc » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:15 am

greentara wrote:At first glance it looks good, perhaps even promising but when scrutinised an unenlightened person teaches "The Way" you can guarantee it's dead as a dodo.
I saw a program a while back about kids that attended a Hare Krishna school, it really didn't rope them in long term as upon becoming young adults most of them left the religious trappings behind completely.
A better solution would be after school Buddhist meditation for older children mature enough to understand a little of the Buddhas message.
Ultimately a rare child will be really fascinated and absorb the essence in an instant.

That's probably true about catholic schools as well, that after school most leave the religion behind. Even so, I believe that most adults that had a religious education do grow up to have some sort of moral values, whether they continue to follow the religion or not.
shaunc

Postby Tenzin & Söpa » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:57 pm

greentara wrote:At first glance it looks good, perhaps even promising but when scrutinised an unenlightened person teaches "The Way" you can guarantee it's dead as a dodo.

I think the whole idea behind this is not to convert children to Buddhism, but simply to teach them some basic ethic concepts, as well as useful intra- and interpersonal tools such as mindfulness.

There's some very good books on the topic of mindfulness targeted at children, like Mindful Monkey, Happy Panda.

I find this a very good idea.
ཁོང་ཁྲོ་སློང་མཁན་མེད་ན། བཟོད་པ་སུ་ལ་སྒོམ།

When there is no one to provoke anger, how shall we practice patience?
Tenzin & Söpa

Postby Seishin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:28 pm

Just to reiterate the above, the school isn't converting but teaching in line with Buddhist principles. Although I'm sure the vast majority of the children probably won't become Buddhist I think it's a great idea.

Gassho
Seishin.
Seishin
Former staff member

Postby Ayu » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:08 pm

When I was a child, such a school would have been helpful for me.
So maybe not every pupil becomes buddhist, but for them who are already buddhist in their heart (from former lifes) everything might be easier. :tongue:
Because, if our mothers, who have been kind to us
From beginningless time, are suffering,
What can we do with (just) our own happiness?
From 10th of 37 Bodhisattva Practices
Ayu

Postby Knotty Veneer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:18 pm

I think the NKT also opened a primary school last year near Derby in the English Midlands. I imagine it'll primarily be for adherents rather than teaching general Buddhist principles.
Everyone talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it - Mark Twain.
Knotty Veneer

Return to News & Current Events