The arrogance of economists!

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Re: The arrogance of economists!

Postby LastLegend » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:54 am

Lindama wrote:F... naughty boy(?) :woohoo:

LastLegend... when I was growing up, I wasn't aware either... but now I've seen it with others and myself... even so, there is a sweetness in being alive, but I wasn't talking about that when I get into what the economists have to say about it....

I was not aware that we were literally struggling to find a meal everyday because I was very young at the time. But I had lived with no running water, toilet paper, electric or gas stove, roof made from weaved leaves, and bicycles.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby futerko » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:56 am

:tongue:
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche
futerko

Postby Lindama » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:08 am

LastLegend,
As you said, you were very young and it seems all you knew. I'm guessing it was not unusual for your community. In this country, we don't have the luxury of a simple life style where the basics are handled in simpler ways. There is no river to wash clothes in, etc. If I may be so bold, you may be in a good place to deal with extreme adversity if it should ever happen... and in a good place to help others as well. I've long thought that we are not on this spiritual journey for ourselves, but to keep our head and heart to help others. My first teacher often said that the survivors would be the ones who knew how to dumpster dive... meaning those who can handle adversity gracefully. Those are the ppl who often create new countries.
Lindama

Postby LastLegend » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:21 am

Ok Ma. :heart:
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby Luke » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:04 pm

greentara wrote:"The idea that poverty is determined, defined and measured by a group of people mostly unaffected by it is an intriguing one. Numerous definitions and studies globally tell us what poverty is, how it is measured — extreme and the moderate (there are categories!). Though surprisingly, none of these definitions has been evolved by or in consultation with the poor themselves. The arrogance of economists is such that they endeavour and succeed, in some measure, to estimate and tell us how poor we should feel and why"

It's popular for left-leaning people to see the word "economist" as an evil term, but what they forget is that there are many different types of economists.

I think the economists who are resented are really just the ones who are consultants for big business or government. I had an economics professor in university who was not like this at all: he was very progressive in his political views and he truly cared about the poor and understood many of their issues (but needless to say, he wasn't a very popular professor in the economics department. He could only fight to maintain his territory...).

I would guess that there are many other unpopular economists out there who really care about people, and who in this economy, might even be among the poor themselves, despite their economic training.
Luke

Postby shel » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:11 am

Economists are evil, let's get'm!!

:tongue:
shel

Previous

Return to News & Current Events