100kg Thai gold for Shrine

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

100kg Thai gold for Shrine

Postby plwk » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:36 pm

The spire of the heritage Mahabodhi Mahavihara will soon be covered in gold.
Devotees from Thailand will donate 100kg of the yellow metal to Buddhism’s holiest shrine, which was rocked by a series of explosions last month.
At today’s prices, the cost of the gold needed would be approximately Rs 33 crore.

More here
plwk

Re: 100kg Thai gold for Shrine

Postby Ayu » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:18 pm

Because, if our mothers, who have been kind to us
From beginningless time, are suffering,
What can we do with (just) our own happiness?
From 10th of 37 Bodhisattva Practices
Ayu

Postby tidathep » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:03 pm

plwk wrote:Image

The spire of the heritage Mahabodhi Mahavihara will soon be covered in gold.
Devotees from Thailand will donate 100kg of the yellow metal to Buddhism’s holiest shrine, which was rocked by a series of explosions last month.
At today’s prices, the cost of the gold needed would be approximately Rs 33 crore.

More here

-------------
Dear Plwk,

Wow...such great news! Anumodhana sadhu ka!!!

tidathep :anjali:
tidathep

Postby catmoon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:01 am

100 kilos? Geez they are not just putting gold leaf on there, are they? What are they up to?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby dharmagoat » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:06 am

catmoon wrote:100 kilos? Geez they are not just putting gold leaf on there, are they? What are they up to?

There is a lot of shrine to gift wrap.
dharmagoat

Postby plwk » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:49 am

Looks like some have read my mind and gone ahead of myself... here
plwk

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:47 pm

A large portion of the gold appears to be donated by lay devotees; not all from the King. If it inspires people to practice to have a beautiful temple, why not? The Shwedagon Pagoda and many other Buddhist temples have gold and gold plating. This is the Maha Bodhi Temple, the most significant place in Buddhism, the site of the Tathagata's enlightenment. I think it is great.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby catmoon » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:00 pm

Sure. Once in a while, why not do something extraordinarily beautiful? The argument about housing the poor is always there and can be raised in regard to any expenditure, including your own dinner, home, clothes and car. These things are not likely to inspire anyone, but how often do we question them?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby KonchokZoepa » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:21 pm

well this is the petition

For the gold donated by the King of Thailand to be used for the welfare of those in need

The Mahabodhi temple was built at Bodh Gaya in Bihar, India, where the Buddha found enlightenment under the Bodhi Tree more than 2,500 years ago. He taught a path of wisdom and loving-kindness for all beings.
Mahabodhi officials on Thursday announced a major boost to their works with the donation of 660 pounds of gold from the King of Thailand and others which will be used to create a new glittering inlaid temple dome.
The decision to decorate the temple, located where Buddha renounced attachment to material possessions and attained enlightenment, with more than £8 million worth of gold is not in keeping with the Buddha's message of renunciation and compassion. This money would be more appropriately used to improve the welfare of those most in need of material expressions of kindness (metta) and compassion (karuna).
Why not put the money into medical care and education for the poorest people of the area, thereby giving back to the descendents of those that put food into the Buddha's alms bowl 2600 years ago or donating it to help those currently suffering in the Philippines due to the devastation caused by Typhoon Haiyan, like the Thai people suffered in the Flooding of 2011 caused by Typhoon Nock-ten?
KonchokZoepa

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:05 pm

catmoon wrote:Sure. Once in a while, why not do something extraordinarily beautiful? The argument about housing the poor is always there and can be raised in regard to any expenditure, including your own dinner, home, clothes and car. These things are not likely to inspire anyone, but how often do we question them?

Yes, exactly. Probably nearly everyone here may have ate out a restaurant in the past week, or went to a movie or another show sometime in the last month or so, or purchased some clothes, or . . . jewelry at some time in the past few years. All of these funds could have been used to help the poor too. We do what we can and we all probably could have done more, but once in a while for something significant, it can be inspiring. I wouldn't recommend gold-plating a local library or school or police department; but this is the Maha Bodhi Temple; the utmost spiritually significant place for Buddhists.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby pemachophel » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:46 pm

Personally, I rejoice in the merit. Further, it is merit (i.e., "good karma") which causes pleasure and happiness. IMHO, with the right motivation and deciation, this is a hugely effective way to cause more happiness and pleasure in the world and decrease suffering and pain.

:namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
pemachophel

Postby greentara » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:48 pm

Wake up! Thailand doesn't need another temple or shrine and certainly not a gold plated addition. Give it to the needy! All this constant talk of bodhisattvas and reaching out ....well that actually means helping others!
greentara

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:41 am

greentara wrote:Thailand doesn't need another temple or shrine and certainly not a gold plated addition.

The Maha Bodhi Temple is not in Thailand. It is in Bodh Gaya, India. The spot where the Buddha attained enlightenment. The spot considered most significant; to most (perhaps all?) Buddhists. It is the Mecca (if you will) of Buddhism.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby greentara » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:00 am

Malcom, I understand I should have said no more temples needed globally, gilded or ungilded!
greentara

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:38 am

greentara wrote:Malcom, I understand I should have said no more temples needed globally, gilded or ungilded!

Who is Malcom? :D

Not even ungilded? So you are opposed to any temple of any kind? Not even an exception for the Mecca of Buddhism? King Ashoka felt it was important enough to have a stupa/temple at this site. The Buddha praised the benefit of making pilgrimage to this place.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby greentara » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:16 am

David, No problem with the temples that stand, some are very old and beautiful. Why do we need more? Going to India temples of all denominations are popping up like mushrooms! Reminds me of Africa apparently in Nigeria the Christians build a church a day! More temples, gathering of more recruits and more zeal for raising money that should really go to the needy!
greentara

Postby tidathep » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:48 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:
greentara wrote:Thailand doesn't need another temple or shrine and certainly not a gold plated addition.

The Maha Bodhi Temple is not in Thailand. It is in Bodh Gaya, India. The spot where the Buddha attained enlightenment. The spot considered most significant; to most (perhaps all?) Buddhists. It is the Mecca (if you will) of Buddhism.

-------------
Sawaddee Ka ..David,

I agree with you 100%....Sadhu sadhu sadhu!!!

Gifts to the Buddhas are the greatest merits!
tidathep :anjali:
tidathep

Postby greentara » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:05 pm

Ok Tidathep, As its the greatest gift...we'll remove the crown and jewellery from the woman in the picture and place it at the feet of the Buddha!
greentara

Postby tidathep » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:08 am

greentara wrote:Ok Tidathep, As its the greatest gift...we'll remove the crown and jewellery from the woman in the picture and place it at the feet of the Buddha!

-----------
Sawaddee Ka..Greentara,

I'm so sure that the Thai lady will be so happy to place her crown/jewelry at the Buddha's feet in a heart-beat (but, I'm afraid they are costume-jewelries)...Thai people love to build temples/stupas/Buddha statues etc.

Dear Greentara, please don't say things against people's doing good deeds/merits...it's sinful...I don't want you to be sinful...please let me tell you a Dhammapada story about the great Thera Lakuntaka..he was born as a dwarf and ugly...why? because of his past life's deed:

In Kassapa Buddhas day he was the chief architect entrusted with the building of the thūpa over the Buddha’s relics, and, when a dispute arose as to how big the thūpa should be, he decided in favour of a small one; hence his small stature in his last life. the Kelisīla Jātaka gives a different reason for his shortness.

Here is the full story of Thera Lakuntaka : http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11788

Even King Asoka the great...he was born ugly with bad complexion..because of his bad deeds in the past life.

And I'll post Kelisila Jataka real soon.
tidathep :reading:
tidathep

Postby tidathep » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:28 pm

Sawaddee Ka :anjali:

As promise.. yesterday... that I'll post :

KELISILA JATAKA [www.jathakakatha.org]

Brahmadatta, king of Benares, could not look upon anyone old or decrepit without playing jokes on them. He made old men roll about on the ground and played practical jokes on old women. His friends behaved likewise. All old people left his country; no parents or aged persons remained to be tended by the young, and newcomers among the gods were few in number.

Sakka (the Bodhisatta), wishing to teach the king a lesson, once appeared before him in the guise of an old man, with two jars of butter milk in a crazy old cart, having willed that only the king should be able to see him. The king was riding his state elephant, and when he asked the old tarter to move the latter dashed the two jars on the kings head and the onlookers laughed to see the milk dripping down his face. Resuming Sakkas form, the Bodhisatta admonished the king.

****** The story was related to account for Lakuntaka Bhaddiyas deformity. J.ii.142-4.

tidathep :reading:
tidathep

Next

Return to News & Current Events