The church is not trying to protect itself?

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

The church is not trying to protect itself?

Postby greentara » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:59 am

Illegal to report crimes

According to the new laws, revealing or receiving confidential Vatican information is now punishable by up to two years in prison, while newly defined sex crimes against children carry a sentence of up to twelve years. Because all sex crimes are kept confidential, there is no longer a legal way for Vatican officials to report sex crimes.

“We didn’t mean for this to happen, obviously,” lamented Vatican foreign minister Monsignor Dominique Mamberti. Mamberti said that the simultaneous passing of each law is merely a coincidence and insisted that the Church is not trying to protect itself against further embarrassment, but critics outside the Vatican are skeptical.

“They know exactly what they’re doing,” claims Fabrizio Perona of Italy’s La Repubblica newspaper. “They just thought nobody would notice. The Church wants to impress the world by getting tough on sex crimes, but they criminalized leaks, which is the only way anybody would ever discover their crimes. It’s genius, if you stop and think about it.”
greentara

Re: The church is not trying to protect itself?

Postby Kim O'Hara » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:51 am

Hi, Greentara,
I don't doubt that you have copied the news report accurately but I always like to know the source before deciding how much I trust the text.

:coffee:
Kim
Kim O'Hara

Re: The church is not trying to protect itself?

Postby Jikan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Plagiarism is not tolerated at DharmaWheel. This thread is closed.
Thanks to the help of generous sponsors (most of them from DharmaWheel), I'm doing a Vajra Armor (Dorje Kotrab) self-retreat this summer. May the merit be yours!
Jikan
Site Admin

Return to News & Current Events