Dalai Lama Says He Would Support A Woman Successor

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Dalai Lama Says He Would Support A Woman Successor

Postby plwk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:25 pm

While some religious leaders might shy away from establishing a tradition of helping women ascend to high-ranking positions, the Dalai Lama voices a more progressive view: His Holiness says he would be pleased if a woman were to succeed him. More here
plwk

Re: Dalai Lama Says He Would Support A Woman Successor

Postby uan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:05 pm

plwk wrote:Image
While some religious leaders might shy away from establishing a tradition of helping women ascend to high-ranking positions, the Dalai Lama voices a more progressive view: His Holiness says he would be pleased if a woman were to succeed him. More here

It's sort of up to HHDL to reincarnate as a woman (or girl when born) and to make that clear to the Lamas who would be the ones to look for his incarnation.

The article is a little bit secular in that it poses the idea of a female candidate as being something that can just be added into the mix. From a TB pov, it doesn't work that way.

Unless the DL is indicating that there really isn't anything to the whole Tulku system and it's all sort of just made up and any woman (or guy) could just be chosen and work out (which I doubt he is saying).

I give HHDL kudos for raising the idea (whether it will happen in fact) as a way to put forward that women are fully equal as men in terms of their ability to be a high level spiritual leader in Buddhism.
uan

Re: Dalai Lama Says He Would Support A Woman Successor

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:51 pm

I doubt it would happen, but I sure wish it does!

That would do wonders for Dharma-propagation; the world seeing that Buddhism is open to more egalitarianism. The Catholic Church may never have a woman pope since they don't even allow woman priests. Buddhism is still seen as very patriarchal and this could help shed that image.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Return to News & Current Events