Buddha documentary PBS April 7, 2010

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Buddha documentary PBS April 7, 2010

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:29 am

For those of you in the U.S.

http://www.pbs.org/thebuddha/

Narrated by Richard Gere.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Re: Buddha documentary PBS April 7, 2010

Postby Ngawang Drolma » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:19 am

Thanks David :)
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:43 pm

For those of you who watched this (U.S. or parts of it can be seen online), what did you think of the documentary?

I thought there were too many interviews. I am looking forward to the Thich Nhat Hanh Hollywood movie, The Buddha, if it ever happens. There have already been many documentaries, I think to get the word out about Buddha, a top-notch Hollywood movie might do it.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Laurazen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:28 pm

I saw both parts last night. It seemed a straightforward retelling of the story of the Buddha's life, though the interviews contained some spin which, from my experiences at online Buddhist forums, I know would not sit well with all Buddhists and which represent a primarily western view of the dharma.

I personally didn't find it informative, but my husband, who knows very little about Buddhism, was clearly captivated by the story. It did explain some of the things I've tried to talk with him about-- some of the common misconceptions, such as practice is about bliss-following, and will solve all your problems. I didn't have a chance to talk much with him afterwards (I'm laid up with the flu and went back to bed) but thought it might have been a decent introduction to the Buddha's teachings for someone who isn't a practitioner.
Laurazen

Postby ball-of-string » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:12 pm

Laura, I hope you heal well and speedily from the flu. :toilet:

Over all, it was pleasant to watch. I didn't hate it. I didn't learn anything from it, which was disappointing because I really am not all that knowledgeable about the life of Lord Buddha. I was a little confused about some of the people they chose for interviews. Especially the woman poet, who seemed to get A LOT of screen time. On one hand, her enthusiasm was admirable. But she made a lot of statements that equated her experience as doctrinal fact.

Sorry to those who had to suffer through my rants on other forums only to come here and see, "Oh, look, that Yankee bloke is ranting on again about that Buddha show."
ball-of-string

Postby Stephen » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:17 am

I watched this the other day and thought it was a pretty decent introduction. For how long it was, I thought it might touch on some of the details of Buddhism, but it didn't. Another good special of the same type was the BBC production "The Life of Buddha", in which a monk summed up the greatest treasure of Buddhism in two words: "Practice mindfulness".
The "self", which is a construct of the mind, is non-self. It is not us, and we are not it. This self blinds us to reality; it is our Mara, our Satan, our Hades. Cast it out and behold the path to freedom.
(Visit http://www.BodhiBox.com for a free Buddhist e-mail account, while you're still attached to the 'net...)
Stephen

Postby Namu Butsu » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:43 pm

I thought it was great, My wife and I are going to order a DVD copy. It really caught my wife's attention. She was mildly interested in buddhism, but the film actually caused her to go even deeper. Right now she chants OM Mani Padme Hum. I told her she can just do as she likes slowly but surely, and not make things into something that she must do.
"Just say the nembutsu and be liberated" Shinran Shonin
"However hard it may be to bid farewell to this world, when the conditions that bind us to this saha [samsara] realm run out, we are powerless to do anything as the final hour arrives and we are swept away to that Land." -A Record in Lament of Divergences
Namu Butsu

Return to News & Current Events