Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:50 am 

Interesting March 1st blog post from InsightLA: http://inside.insightla.org/blogs/

Quote:
Congressman Tim Ryan, who came back for an evening of Mindful Nation inspiration at InsightLA last Monday, gave a copy of his book, A Mindful Nation, to every member of Congress. And a few even read it…saying, “this is exactly what I need.”

Now the Congressman from Ohio has started a sitting group in a room in the Capitol! It’s called “Quiet Time” — members of Congress and their staffers are invited to gather at 6PM on the days they vote in the room to spend a half hour in silence together under the Capitol dome before votes are cast at 6:30.

Some practice mindfulness meditation, others centering prayer, maybe some simply grab a nap — but here’s the miracle — everyone stops! They stop and calm down, quiet their busyness, and simply BE together. Tim knows, as you do from your own practice, that spending time together in silence connects us in profound and magical ways. He trusts that people who sit quietly together may then cast their votes with more collaborative intention, and this can make a positive difference in the way they govern our nation.

I was talking with the Congressman’s friend Mike de la Rochas about how we might support this (so simple, yet radical) initiative to introduce more sanity and harmony into our legislature. We want thousands to join with them and invite practitioners from around the country to add to their mindful silence. Let’s envision creating a critical mass of mindful awareness and wisdom among our elected representatives! Let’s inspire a big urgent wave of Quiet Time around the country! May we and our leaders open our hearts to all possible creative responses to our nation’s challenges.

As often as we can, let’s sit in real time with the Congressman and those who join him, 3PM PST generally on Mondays or Tuesdays. Let’s gather our own critical mass of passionate support for the power of the Dharma to transform the minds and hearts of all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:45 am 

I heard Congressman Ryan speak at the Wisdom 2.0 conference last weekend. He was great, and I love what he was doing as an exemplar of secular mindfulness practice. He is Catholic.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:56 am 

Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii), on the other hand, is Buddhist... but does not practice.

Who would you prefer to go to lunch with... the Buddhist who does not practice, or the practitioner who is not a Buddhist?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:19 am 

Thich Nhat Hanh says that congressmen are good meditators.