3 x 3's

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
featherhead

3 x 3's

Post by featherhead »

i have just begun reading "being zen" by ezra bayda. early on he mentions that he usually starts his sitting with "a couple rounds of three-by-three's" but he does not explain what a "3 x 3" is. maybe later in the book he does, but i haven't seen it. can anyone tell me what he is referring to?
thank you.
Jesse

Re: 3 x 3's

Post by Jesse »

I don't really know what 3x3 refers to.. maybe the size of his zabuton? :smile:

If you are looking for zazen instructions, these are from "moon in a dewdrop, writings of zen master dogen"
Set aside all involvements and let the myriad things rest. Zazen is not thinking of good, not thinking of bad. It is not conscious endeavour. It is not introspection. Do not desire to become a buddha; let sitting or lying down drop away. Be moderate in eating and drinking. Be mindful of the passing of time, and engage yourself in zazen as though you are saving your head from fire.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
justsit

Post by justsit »

Perhaps three rounds of three cleansing breaths - left nostril, right nostril, both nostrils? :shrug:
featherhead

Post by featherhead »

guess i'll read on and if he ever get's around to explaining it, i'll let you know.
Bonsai Doug

Post by Bonsai Doug »

Perhaps a reference to The Three Jewels - the Three Treasures - the Three Refuges?

Referring to Zen, perhaps this might also be a Koan reference?
Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead
featherhead

Post by featherhead »

was reading more last night and came to a point where the author explained the 3x3, so i thought i'd share.
F.Y.I....
what he means by three by three is when the meditator picks 3 things to be aware of for 3 breaths, such as he will be aware of (for example) the breath, the touch on the back of his hand as it rests on his leg and a sound in the room. he will remain aware of those 3 things for 3 breaths and then start again, become aware of 3 other things and remain aware of those 3 for another 3 breaths, etc....
so, in case you were wondering, there you have it, for what it's worth.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

It's on Page 24 according to Google books. :) Interesting technique, never heard of that before :)

http://books.google.com/books?id=RdV7xA ... en&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!

Return to “Meditation”