A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: meditation questions
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:01 am 

hello,

i have a question about a meditation experience, i have no real way to find information about it or ask anyone what it was

the experience was very intense.. to put it lightly, the feeling of the body dissapearing and at the same time the feeling of dying, and of a joy or happiness so intense it's beyond description. i didnt know if i should stop meditation because something was wrong, i thought i was having a seizure maybe.. my eyelids began fluttering rapidly and a stream of images.. like millions of images flashing by in a blur.. this lasted not very long before my concentration broke..

when I came out of it.. i was very calm, just a pure state of joy and calmness i've never experienced before, and the sense something amazing just happened but im at a loss to explain what..

I have not been able to re-achieve this state yet.. and dont know if I should, or how to

insight is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: meditation questions
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:15 am 
Former staff member

I think it is time for you to discuss jhana with your teacher, or start reading up on it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:20 pm 

its just a distraction.. all kinds of stuff can happen, often pleasant but sometimes thoroughly unpleasant.
its much more profound to remain on your meditation object and finally achieve effortless single-pointed concentration which cannot be moved off its chosen object

an epic meditation book written by the legendary B. Alan Wallace: "Stilling the Mind, Shamatha Teachings from Dudjom Lingpa's Vajra Essence"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:11 pm 
Former staff member

This is one distraction I don't worry about much. If bliss arises, that's very nice, but like ice cream, too much quickly gets tiring and the meditation tends to correct itself. As 5 heaps points out, it is important not to let it consume your attention, since you would then have a problematic distraction.