Intention

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
moron

Re: Intention

Post by moron »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
moron wrote:can you point the mistakes you see in the Oushi post
It's not a matter of mistakes, the whole thing barely accords with Buddhist theory. I'm not saying his view is right or wrong per se, but it definitely does not accord with a Buddhist perspective
ps.I am specifically interested of how can Intention be used for dispelling obstacles on the path.links to readable text are very welcome.
Try this link for a heap of teachings and commentaries on intention.
Thank you Sherab Dorje,
venerable Thanissaro is great.I like this text : http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... tions.html
it is caled; "The Road to Nirvana Is Paved with Skillful Intentions"
It is easy for understanding for newbies like me.
garudha

Post by garudha »

Gwenn Dana wrote:If it needs a motive, it is not love.
If it needs a motive, it is mere liking, and can just as quickly turn into the opposite.

But there are more interesting questions that then follow.

Does any action that arises from this "love which does not have a motive" have a motive?
Would you call it without intention?
And can you "intend" to love?

Best wishes
Gwenn
Thanks Gwenn. Most other stuff you pose, such as "who asks the question" is totally abstract, but speaking about love your words are very profound. Anyway.. enough about LOVE... there's centuries of European literature out there for those with eyes to read books ;-)
garudha

Post by garudha »

garudha wrote:
Gwenn Dana wrote:So when in natural being an action arises, by what is it driven?
..//..A Translation of the Kun byed rgyal po'i mdo, by Neumaier-Dargyay, lists the following attributes as "drivers".

1. Anger/Hatred
2. Attachment
3. Ignorance
4. Jealously
5. Pride
Sherab Dorje wrote:Now this is the cherry on the cake! ..//SNIP//.. Put me out of my misery! :crying:
If the answer I provided is not correct then it would be appreciated, by me at least, if you could answer the question asked by Gwenn. Thanks.
pensum

Post by pensum »

garudha wrote:
garudha wrote:
Gwenn Dana wrote:So when in natural being an action arises, by what is it driven?
..//..A Translation of the Kun byed rgyal po'i mdo, by Neumaier-Dargyay, lists the following attributes as "drivers".

1. Anger/Hatred
2. Attachment
3. Ignorance
4. Jealously
5. Pride
Sherab Dorje wrote:Now this is the cherry on the cake! ..//SNIP//.. Put me out of my misery! :crying:
If the answer I provided is not correct then it would be appreciated, by me at least, if you could answer the question asked by Gwenn. Thanks.
Enlightened activity is "driven" by the needs of those who are suffering in samsara, this is known as "compassion". Such action does not arise due to the buddha's desire or will, but rather is a natural reaction to suffering.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Return to “Meditation”