giant pressure in between my eyebrows

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.

giant pressure in between my eyebrows

Postby threeyears » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:53 pm

For the last three years I have felt a pressure in between my eyebrows. It doesn't go away when I get off the cushion, it is always there. When I watch it, it moves around. It goes to the back of my head, the sides, into my eyesockets making them twitch, into my nose, up to the top of my head, but it always comes back to the center in between my eyebrows. And it grows incredibly big whenever I watch my thoughts. I stopped meditating for a while because it was becoming so big that I thought my head was going to explode. Its not painful, its just confusing. So for the sake of avoiding brain damage, I put my faith in the people of dharmawheel. Can you please help me?
threeyears

Re: giant pressure in between my eyebrows

Postby Malcolm » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:41 am

threeyears wrote:For the last three years I have felt a pressure in between my eyebrows. It doesn't go away when I get off the cushion, it is always there. When I watch it, it moves around. It goes to the back of my head, the sides, into my eyesockets making them twitch, into my nose, up to the top of my head, but it always comes back to the center in between my eyebrows. And it grows incredibly big whenever I watch my thoughts. I stopped meditating for a while because it was becoming so big that I thought my head was going to explode. Its not painful, its just confusing. So for the sake of avoiding brain damage, I put my faith in the people of dharmawheel. Can you please help me?

Sounds like a disorder of wind -- go see an ayurvedic or tibetan doctor.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Postby theanarchist » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:18 pm

Attention directs energy to the point of your attention. It is likely that it's simply your attention to this phenomenon that keeps it going.
theanarchist

Postby Virgo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:22 pm

theanarchist wrote:Attention directs energy to the point of your attention. It is likely that it's simply your attention to this phenomenon that keeps it going.

That maybe a contributing factor, but unlikely a root cause. The best answer is to see a doctor of Tibetan or Ayurvedic medicine and get healed.

Kevin
Virgo

Postby catmoon » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:26 pm

I had the same thing happen to me, though it wasn't as extreme. I haven't been meditating as much lately and it has gone away.

Strange.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Postby TocharianB » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:10 pm

I have this frequently. AFAIK, it's simply a result of my becoming aware of a fairly persistent sinusitis that I've had for so long that I'm not often consciously aware of it.
TocharianB

Postby Crazywisdom » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:14 pm

Too much concentration meditation. Stare into the open sky and it will improve.
Thank you for parking my Trojan Horse in your city.
Crazywisdom

Postby LastLegend » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:50 am

Just my opinion, sounds like Taoist meditation except the concentration is between the eyebrows instead @ lower abdomen area or Dan Tiane.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby TaTa » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:10 pm

Whats your current practice?
TaTa

Postby avisitor » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:34 pm

I have heard that a way to resolve this is to ...
When you sit in Meditation or Zazen, you should put the focus on the Hara or the place just under the belly button.
Follow the breaths there, put a little tension there to aid following breath.

I don't know if it works. I have had the pressure between the eyes before but always managed to relax so it went away.
avisitor

Return to Meditation