Meditating in nature

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
dharmagoat

Re: Meditating in nature

Post by dharmagoat »

porpoise wrote:
dharmagoat wrote: For example, I enjoy the sound of distant thunder, but if I hear a jet plane fly high overhead I resent the intrusion. Actually, the two sounds are almost identical.
Yes, I know what you mean. It's like with natural sounds there is nobody to blame. ;)
Absolutely.

So we sit in silence as aspiring Buddhas, poised to blame and reject. Sounds that annoy us serve to remind us of this discrepancy.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

porpoise wrote:
dharmagoat wrote: For example, I enjoy the sound of distant thunder, but if I hear a jet plane fly high overhead I resent the intrusion. Actually, the two sounds are almost identical.
Yes, I know what you mean. It's like with natural sounds there is nobody to blame. ;)
Interesting. I think you have quite a point there.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
invisiblediamond

Post by invisiblediamond »

dimeo wrote:Buddha sat under the bodhi tree in the deer garden. I've noticed there is a tradition in Buddhism of finding stillness in nature and meditating in the forest. Perhaps in the silence and stillness it is easier to practice and realize enlightenment than in the noisy busy cities? Certainly something in me is obsessed / craving being outside and in nature. After being cooped up a concrete cage all week, I need to get out for a walk and get some fresh air.

In many places around the world that are near the equator, it's pretty much always warm and there are few walls and glass windows. I live far from the equator, and today it's about 45f / 7c outside and I'm thinking about what layers I'd need to wear in order to stay warm if I'm sitting still and meditating outside in the forest. I'd also need a good insulated cushion under me doesn't absorb the ground wetness. I'm thinking a thermos of hot green tea might be good too.

Anyone want to talk outdoor gear or meditating in nature? Thoughts? Suggestions?
The beach
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

invisiblediamond wrote:The beach
Sandflies.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

dharmagoat wrote:
Sandflies.
Adorable :heart: Do they itch?
Namu Amida Butsu
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

duckfiasco wrote:
dharmagoat wrote:
Sandflies.
Adorable :heart: Do they itch?
When you stop walking they catch up and so can make sitting on the beach a very trying experience.

Their bite feels just like a mosquito bite, but often you are bitten by a dozen at a time. People unaccustomed to their bites can suffer quite extreme itching and swelling.

In places in New Zealand like Fiordland, I have heard that hundreds can swarm around you at once. They particularly like ankles, but will bite you anywhere they get the chance.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

I never knew what those little hopping things were called. I also didn't know they thirsted for human blood.
I trust there's a way to sit at the beach without getting swarmed by them :rolleye:
Namu Amida Butsu
futerko

Post by futerko »

duckfiasco wrote:I never knew what those little hopping things were called. I also didn't know they thirsted for human blood.
I trust there's a way to sit at the beach without getting swarmed by them :rolleye:
The hopping ones I've encountered don't bite, they are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talitridae
as opposed to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandfly

You can get repellent for them.
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

futerko wrote:You can get repellent for them.
You can, but it is unpleasant stuff. I prefer to avoid them altogether by sitting in the forest.

I have also thought about getting a portable sandfly/mosquito net.
futerko

Post by futerko »

dharmagoat wrote:
You can, but it is unpleasant stuff. I prefer to avoid them altogether by sitting in the forest.

There are some natural alternatives. One entry in Wikipedia reads, "Catnip oil (Nepeta species) (nepetalactone against mosquitos) (although attracts cats)" :shock:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insect_rep ... al_sources
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

futerko wrote:
dharmagoat wrote:

There are some natural alternatives. One entry in Wikipedia reads, "Catnip oil (Nepeta species) (nepetalactone against mosquitos) (although attracts cats)" :shock:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insect_rep ... al_sources
That is quite a list.

I have noticed that sandflies stay away when I apply cold-pressed olive oil to my arms and legs. It is likely that it has a volatile oil that has the same effect.
Martin007

Post by Martin007 »

I've also found that meditating on the top of a hill is very conducive, maybe something about the feeling of spaciousness?
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

porpoise wrote:
Unless you consider an airplane to be a natural sound to begin with. :tongue:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!

Return to “Meditation”