Opening in the thick of it.

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Kojip

Opening in the thick of it.

Post by Kojip »

Something occured to me today. While maintaining (somewhat unevenly) an awareness of bodily sensation, kinaesthetic, ambient, along with mood, volitional impulses, thoughts flow and so forth, there was a flashing out onto a more panoramaic sense. This is not presumably something other than the skandhas. It was however different than the piecemeal awareness of bodymind that is often present, in that there was a clear awareness of the compelling, overarching global perception, or narrative, that I seem to swim in like the ocean. With this awareness there was a stepping out of the narrative and an opening to simple presence, like after a few days on retreat. Then, being in the midst of a busy day, the narrative with all of its limitations and seeming fates re-asserted itself. It was an opening in the thick of things.

Can any one relate?
catmoon
Former staff member

Re: Opening in the thick of it.

Post by catmoon »

Maybe. Sometimes I experience a sudden jump in awareness and clarity and focus while sitting.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

'there's no nirvana in samsara, but there's also no samsara in nirvana' - Dogen

reminded me of it anyway :)

and by the way, wherever you are, may good peace and good health come your way :)

:meditate:

and boundless infinite joy
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
avisitor

Post by avisitor »

It is fascinating to here of other's experience while just sitting ... thanks
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

"stepping out of the narrative and an opening to simple presence". Yes, I think most who have spent time meditating can relate to this, that's a pretty good way to sum up the essence of meditation in a few words if you ask me.

Return to “Meditation”