Some kind of realisation while trekking?

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Punya

Some kind of realisation while trekking?

Post by Punya »

Do you think it's possible to have experiences you would normally associate with meditation while trekking? I don't mean to a known buddhist or spiritual power centre (although just because a place isn't known as such doesn't mean it isn't one). It seems like if you went on a long trek, say five days or more, that you could reach the kind of states of mind that you reach on a meditation retreat. I have heard of people having these kinds of experiences. What do you think or know, or what have you experienced?
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
catmoon
Former staff member

Re: Some kind of realisation while trekking?

Post by catmoon »

Just being out in the bush alone for a few hours radically alters the way the mind works. Or conversely, one might say that living in a technological high intensity society radically alters the way the mind works. It sort of depends on your point of view. I think it's a good practice.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
greentara

Post by greentara »

Isn't walking meditation part of all traditional practices? Whether you trek in the bush, walk towards or around a a temple or hill, go on long pilgrimages, silently or chanting.....it quietens the mind.
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

Generally speaking, experiences are possible any time your mind isn't overpowered by the kleshas. They're not limited to the meditation cushion.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose

Return to “Meditation”