YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

volunteer group - Dhamma Wheel

volunteer group

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
befriend

volunteer group

Postby befriend » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:22 pm

im trying to start a volunteer group where some of my friends and myself, rake leaves, and mow lawns, for elderly people. would i need to become a non profit to do this, is it permissable to offer free services like that? has anyone started a volunteer group before? ideally id like to put up flyers on bulletin boards. is that allowed? thanks.
nothing can destroy a man who has lived a pure life

Bankei

Re: volunteer group

Postby Bankei » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:43 pm

That is a good cause.

You should probably list what country you are looking at doing this in.
-----------------------
Bankei

befriend

Postby befriend » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:47 pm

massachusetts, USA

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:22 am

I don't think you need to incorporate or anything like that unless you're worried about liability. I think it's a nice and noble thing you're trying to do and I wouldn't worry about the finer points until doing so becomes a necessity.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:36 am

I think you should try and talk with someone from a not-for-profit volunteer-based organisation in your area as I am sure they would be able to provide you with appropriate advice to help you gettng started.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

chownah

Postby chownah » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:26 am

I guess getting some kind of legal whatever would be good but you know it also can be just one more thing that can get in the way of people helping people.
chownah

befriend

Postby befriend » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:28 am

i dont really have enough people to make it like a big non profit, nor do i want that for now atleast. i think im just going to keep it a grass roots word of mouth thing, and help people i have connections with.

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:34 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

chownah

Postby chownah » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:38 am

befriend,
Elderly people are very vulnerable and they and their families are rightly cautious about having some group of unknown people coming to "help" them. I think a good thing to do would be to be sure that the eldery people and their families be informed about who these "helpers" are. If you help elderly people in your own family or who are close friends of your family then this is probably not a concern but going beyond that I think it would be good to find a way to establish your credibility.....and to do this maybe going to an established not for profit based organisation as Ben has suggested would be a good idea....some christian churches might be willing to sponsor your group even if you are not members but this is just one idea and I'm sure there are other ways to show that you are trustable I guess....perhaps you should make a rule that when you are helping an elderly person that some other family member or neighbor be there too to "supervise" or "oversee"....just some ideas...
chownah

Return to “Lounge”