Japan Earthquake and Tsunami

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
Su DongPo

Re: Japan Earthquake and Tsunami

Post by Su DongPo »

Tatsuo wrote:I don't think that it would be helpful to donate money to Christian organizations. I know the rude behaviour of Christian missionaries in Japan, who would do anything to get more converts. This kind of pressure is something no one needs at the moment (or at any other moment). I'd think Buddhist organisations or humanitarian organisations are best recipients of donations.
I am sorry you've had such a negative experience. Not all Christian groups are aggressive proselytizers, in my experience. The Catholic aid agencies, for example, do very good work, as does the nominally Protestant group "Save the Children." But of course if you prefer not to give money to Christian groups, there is always the Red Cross, or the Buddhist relief charity Tzu Chi.

The warm blanket comforting a refugee in Tohoku tonight will not be a Red Cross blanket, or a Buddhist blanket, or a Christian missionary blanket. It will be a warm blanket.
Last edited by Su DongPo on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Su DongPo

Post by Su DongPo »

gyougan wrote:I am afraid that money does not help much. It is not that Japan lacks money. They have almost trillion dollar reserves. They need food, blankets, medicine and fuel. Money is not the bottleneck.
Aid agencies need money. They will be able to respond with more agility and more rationally with ample funding on hand. I would encourage you to find an organization you trust. Further, the Japan crisis will draw money away from other projects around the world. Donating to Japan relief work will help ease that pressure.

Finally, though, I think you are right. Japan is a rich country and the donations from the wider society and worldwide are not going to bring about a resolution to this suffering a lot more quickly than it would otherwise.

However, there is a more important reason to donate, or to expression one's solidarity in whatever way seems most appropriate. It is good to know that one isn't alone.

Do what you think is best.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Su DongPo wrote: There are secular, Buddhist, Jewish, and Christian aid groups in the listing I posted.

You seem to assume all Christians are obnoxious. I don't think this is the case.
Actually, I wasn't referring to your post, nor do I assume all Christians are obnoxious.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
plwk

Post by plwk »

As usual, the outrageous... comments
gyougan

Post by gyougan »

It is astonishing that governments are able to conjure up hundreds of billions of dollars or euros if some banks are ailing. But they are unable to give meaningful sums of money to charity organizations!

I mean, what the heck is going on on this planet?!
plwk

Post by plwk »

I guess it's something like those who have money to buy meat for meals but have 'none' for animal liberation...
muni

Post by muni »

plwk wrote:I guess it's something like those who have money to buy meat for meals but have 'none' for animal liberation...
Good example of the cherishing me-world.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

The tsunami and earthquake was a month ago, and today another 7.1 quake had this part of the country rattling. :shrug:

I've read but haven't confirmed that the meterological agency is concerned about the quakes sparking volcanic activity.

Let's hope I don't die Pompeii-style. :?
plwk

Post by plwk »

The tsunami and earthquake was a month ago, and today another 7.1 quake had this part of the country rattling. :shrug:

I've read but haven't confirmed that the meterological agency is concerned about the quakes sparking volcanic activity.

As I heard in one teaching session, if one doesn't have the karma to be harmed, not a hair of yours will fall to the ground...
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

plwk wrote:

As I heard in one teaching session, if one doesn't have the karma to be harmed, not a hair of yours will fall to the ground...
There's a problem then. I've got a long wagon of bad karma reaching to world-systems a few trillion yojanas away. :o
Su DongPo

Post by Su DongPo »

plwk wrote:

Hmm. Sometimes this line of thought sounds like, "They had it coming."

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”