Prayer request (quitting smoking)

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.

Prayer request (quitting smoking)

Postby maxaroni13 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:40 am

I have been smoking for 7 or 8 years and I have quit so many times... My entire family smokes so it is hard... Cold turkey is the only way to go so prayers being requested for me to quit cold turkey right now successfully and never pick up another.. As well as for my family to get inspired to quit... And for everyone trying to quit... It's no good nobody is even enjoying smoking we just hate the thought of quitting... The Buddha said the root of all suffering is craving so may all sentient beings to be free of craving! Smoking is deteriorating not only my health but my spiritual progress because I am dominated by this craving! So I want to say May all sentient beings ruled by craving know that there a way to cease the suffering!

ye dharmā hetu prabhavā hetun,
teṣāṃ tathāgato hyavadat,
teṣāṃ ca yo nirodha,
evaṃ vādī mahāśramaṇa

All phenomena arise from causes;
Those causes have been taught by the Tathagata (Buddha),
And their cessation too has been proclaimed by the Great Shramana.

:thanks:
maxaroni13

Re: Prayer request (quitting smoking)

Postby lobster » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:11 am

:twothumbsup:

Bravo.

I wish you every success. Will do some mantra for you later.

:applause:
lobster

Postby Gwenn Dana » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:22 pm

Good intention :-)

Also stop opposing to smoke or blaming you for following the habit for the waves to really calm down.
I forgot that the first couple of times when "quitting".
Then I never quit, just dehabituated picking up cigarettes and habituated putting them back down.
That is, like, erm, smoker and non-smoker at the same time and neither, just can´t answer the question. :jumping:

gya tei gya tei
hara gya tei
hara so gya tei
bo ji so wa ka

Best wishes
Gwenn
Gwenn Dana

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:43 pm

Just keep trying is the secret, every time you quit for any real length of time, you condition your mind to do it that much easier next time. Took me 12 or 13 tries...which IIRC is not far above average!

I've do some recitations for you for sure, good luck, and I know from personal experience it can be done..I smoked for almost 15 years.
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Qing Tian » Thu May 01, 2014 11:46 am

And after a 25 year habit I sure know about quitting. Gwenn has the right of it, but it is slippery to explain. For me it happened that one day I got up in the morning, noticed I had no cigarettes in the house and decided on the spot that I was no longer a smoker. The important point here is that I did not consider myself an ex-smoker but as a non-smoker. Also, it is not a process but a simple change of state. All processes have a failure option built in. It is too easy for people to comfort themselves with "At least I tried". With the change of state there is no process and there is no possibility of such excuses. Anyway, that's how it worked for me, and I have been a non-smoker for 6 years and have never had the urge to take it up again.

Incidentally, when people around you ask how you are getting on, or how you are coping with withdrawal, they may think they are helping or being supportive but this is not true. They are actually challenging your resolve. I was lucky. My work colleagues noticed I was now a non-smoker, they said 'well done' and never mentioned it again. It was wonderful!
“Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.”
Qing Tian

Postby maxaroni13 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:06 pm

Okay , day 2 no ciggarettes and I just woke up I think I'm gonna be okay without... Just wanted you guys to know I'm serious I'm really quitting so far so good :woohoo:
maxaroni13

Postby maxaroni13 » Sun May 04, 2014 3:08 pm

Well I'm at day 5 I'm still wanting to quit so I'm done detoxing just need to stay quit :jumping:
maxaroni13

Postby kirtu » Sun May 04, 2014 6:24 pm

May you be able to quit smoking. May you make a firm determination daily to completely stop smoking; may this be completely successful.

THADYATA OM BEYKANZE BEYKANZE MAHABEYANZE BEYKANZE RAJA SAMUGATE SOHA
OM TARE TUTARE TURE SOHA
OM AH RA PA TSA NA DHI
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby maxaroni13 » Fri May 16, 2014 2:22 pm

Well I wound up smoking and have been for last couple of weeks so hold a good thought that me and my family can quit smoking for good ASAP there was just too much negativity I didn't know how to turn my mind away from other than smoke so I'm still going to quit in fact I might am going to try this morning I just hope I can find a way to turn away from the negativity so hold a good thought for me and my family please Ty :namaste:
maxaroni13

Postby Mother's Lap » Fri May 16, 2014 2:26 pm

Switch to e-cigarettes in the mean time.
Mother's Lap

Postby maxaroni13 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:53 pm

Quitting today again wish me luck.
maxaroni13

Postby madhusudan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:02 pm

Just keep quitting. Don't give up quitting.
madhusudan

Postby LastLegend » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:05 pm

I smoke American Spirits. I can do 4 or 5 per day. The thing about quitting is you have to have a strong will, and completely remove any lingering desire to smoke in your mind. As long as there is a lingering thought about it, it will start to bother you. Other than that, recite your mantra and pray to Bodhisattva/Buddha.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby Jechan » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:36 am

Keep your body healthy in order to practice the Dharma for as long as possible!
南無妙法蓮華経
南無妙法蓮華経
南無妙法蓮華経
南無妙法蓮華経
Jechan

Postby Aemilius » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:28 am

Om bhrum svaha
Om amrita ayurdade svaha
Om amarana jivintaya svaha
Om tare tuttate ture ayu punye jñana pushtim kuru svaha
Om amarana jivintaya svaha
svaha
Aemilius

Postby kirtu » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:02 am

May Max and all beings quitting smoking be successful, aT least for a day. May they then be able to lengthen that period of quitting, being gentle with themselves, until they are able to fuLly quit.

OM BHRUM SOHA
OM TARE TUTARE TURE SOHA
THADYATE OM BEYKANZE BEYKANZE MAHABEYKANZE BEYKANZE RAJA SAMUGATE SOHA
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Karinos » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:49 pm

for causes - practice Kyergangpa's "Secret Accomplishment" Hayagriva sadhana and mantra
for habits - abandon conditions which cause habit to occur (for example if you smoke with beer quit beer as well, or morning coffee etc),
for nicotine addition - get meds from doctor (there are many many meds now to help),

I smoked 20 years before applied this mix of methods and quit. Clean now for 5 years
Karinos

Return to Prayers and Aspirations