Invitation to accumulate 5 million Vajrasattva mantras

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
PeteJay78

Invitation to accumulate 5 million Vajrasattva mantras

Post by PeteJay78 »

Hi everyone! I would like to invite whoever is interested in the accumulation of the Vajrasattva mantra. Either the 100 syllable mantra or the short one. The motivation is for all beings to end the cycle of suffering in samsara. The prayer will be dedicated to the on going problems we face every day. When we watch the news, either local or world wide, we see people suffering in every kind of situation or circumstance. This accumulation of the Vajrasattva mantra is in focus to put an end to this crisis we find every day.
There are different ways to do this practice. If you are a beginner at doing this practice there is a site that will explain how to do it simplified (check on the bottom). If you have done this practice, then just go on your normal way to do it. And get a note and write down after your practice how many mantras you have done. The way we will count the mantra will be simple. One short mantra equals one long one. If you want on the paper distinguish how many long (100 syllable mantras) you have done and how many short ones. Add them up and each week, on friday, post how many mantras you did that week and then how many in total since you began doing the accumulation. The accumulation starts today. (Nomember 1, 2013). And it will end until the total is 5 million Vajrasattva mantras.

The link to instructions on how to do the practice.

http://www.prayer4peace.net/media/Basic_VS_Liturgy.pdf

Thank you everyone! I'll be waiting and checking up.

Best Wishes,
Pema Wang Gyan

Short Mantra: OM VAJRA SATTVA HUNG
padma norbu

Re: Invitation to accumulate 5 million Vajrasattva mantras

Post by padma norbu »

Wonderful! I got a nice Vajrasattva practice pdf to use now and it also led me somehow to the Sanghata Sutra. Now I have some purification practices to do every day which I did not have before.

I will be joining in the 5 million Vajrasattva goal. Starting late, but better than never.

Something I always wonder about: if the short version is the same as the 100-syllable version, why does anyone do the long version? You can certainly say a lot more of the short version and if 1=1 (as everyone says), why wouldn't you want to say as many as possible? Short version is probably 100x faster.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

It is said in Karma Chagme's Mountain Dharma vol.1 that doing 100,000 long mantras has the same effect as doing 600,000 short mantras. and Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche recommended the latter to those with little time to practice. 20 malas a day for 300 days, less than a year and your at your goal, 600,000.

i think it has a powerful effect when done one mala after the long mantra. but having practiced vajrasattva mantras i say quality over quantity. its slow but doing it with the best quality you can is much better than parrot repeating for numbers.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

I'm not even sure what "best quality you can" means in this case. With Vajrasattva, I am pretty much always parroting for numbers. Because it's cleaning. I want to clean as much as fast as possible. With every passing mantra I accumulate, I think "good" and am eager to get another one accumulated ASAP because that is the point of Vajrasattva practice: to purify thousands of eons of negative karma much more quickly. Know what I mean? :shrug: I visualize white nectar filling me up from Vajrasattva and I have the intention of becoming a Buddha to help sentient beings and I rattle off the mantras as quickly as possible. I have even read that there is extra benefit if you can recite the 100-syllable mantra very quickly without any mistakes, so I have even been encouraged to recite as quickly as possible.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

where have you read that there is benefit of reciting it as quickly as possible?
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

KonchokZoepa wrote:20 malas a day for 300 days, less than a year and your at your goal, 600,000.

He is aiming for 5,000,000 not 500,000 FYI.. big difference!!!
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

read the whole post and you can come to a conclusion why i did a calculation for the 600,000.

and i think this is an invitation for us together to accumulate the 5,000,000 mantras.

if he wants to do them all by himself why post it and announce it here? and 5,000,000 accumulated by yourself takes over 10 years if you do 20 malas of short mantra a day, this thread will be history by the time that happens.
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

you seemed to hint that i dont have the capacity to understand the original post and the thread of the title.

why i said '' then you are at your goal '' because people usually want to accumulate 100,000 vajrasattva mantras and according KKR 600,000 short mantras equals that. sorry for speaking directly from my mind when saying '' goal '' and not being clear enough.
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

KonchokZoepa wrote:where have you read that there is benefit of reciting it as quickly as possible?
Sonam's response which I directly link here:
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 234#p55359
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

he does not really explain himself and answer the question why...
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

KonchokZoepa wrote:he does not really explain himself and answer the question why...
Yeah, it just stuck in my head probably because I started to try to chant it faster after that. It actually helped me to memorize it better much quicker and I like chanting it fast (about the same speed I hear Tibetans chanting it).
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Btw, the original instructions say...
PeteJay78 wrote:One short mantra equals one long one.
...which is why I asked why anyone would do the long one if they are equal. But, it is not the first place I have seen such equivalence. A recent example is here: http://geshezopa.blogspot.com/2008/04/m ... ation.html
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

well, in my earlier post as i wrote, according to KKR based on Karma Chagme's mountain Dharma, in vol.1 he explains that those who do not have so much time can instead of 100,000 long mantras do 600,000 short mantras and i dont know if this is based only on KKR's words or based also on the Mountain Dharma by Karma Chagme. so calculating from that 6 short mantras equals one long mantra.

personally i think the long mantra is more effective no matter what the numbers.
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

KonchokZoepa wrote:well, in my earlier post as i wrote, according to KKR based on Karma Chagme's mountain Dharma, in vol.1 he explains that those who do not have so much time can instead of 100,000 long mantras do 600,000 short mantras and i dont know if this is based only on KKR's words or based also on the Mountain Dharma by Karma Chagme. so calculating from that 6 short mantras equals one long mantra.

personally i think the long mantra is more effective no matter what the numbers.
It would stand to reason, otherwise why bother with the long one, right? That is my point/question. But, I have seen (as in the OP) the idea that 1 short = 1 long. So, I was just asking the OP if he had any more info about that.
PeteJay78

Post by PeteJay78 »

Hey Guys! I just wanted to clear something out. Im not saying that one long mantra equals one short mantra in purifying your karma. I only wanted to count the mantras that way just for the accumulation. That's all! hehe. Sorry if I caused any confusion its just the way I wanted to count the accumulation. In my own proper experience I used to do only the short mantra thinking that : "Why do the long one, its a waste of time." But I've come to understand that its not the quantity you do, it's the quality in wich you do it. The goal is to purify our karma and reach Enlightment. It's your intention, your motivation, your bodhiccita that counts. I think that with the right motivation you may only have to do 1,000 mantras to reach enlightment but when your intention is with some self interest, you can do 1million and not reach enlightment. Thank you guys for joining in this path for a more peaceful, loving and compassionate world. Thanks again.
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche says , that 400,000 long mantras with the right motivation should create the causes for enlightenment.
If the thought of demons

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

KonchokZoepa wrote:Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche says , that 400,000 long mantras with the right motivation should create the causes for enlightenment.
Hopefully other things will do that, too, because no way do I expect to finish such a number any time soon and quite possibly not before I die. :smile:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

padma norbu wrote:
KonchokZoepa wrote:Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche says , that 400,000 long mantras with the right motivation should create the causes for enlightenment.
Hopefully other things will do that, too, because no way do I expect to finish such a number any time soon and quite possibly not before I die. :smile:
Well, you could start now - 100 a day < 11 years. I saw a Khenpo say this to a group (he pointed out that several people had attended that group for >= 11 years in fact so just 25 a day would have gotten them to their goal [100k prostrations in this case]).

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

kirtu wrote:
padma norbu wrote:
Well, you could start now - 100 a day < 11 years. I saw a Khenpo say this to a group (he pointed out that several people had attended that group for >= 11 years in fact so just 25 a day would have gotten them to their goal [100k prostrations in this case]).

Kirt
I understand it to be the bare essential for any Vajrayana practitioner to do 21 of the long mantra every day, to purify broken samaya: because we are breaking our samayas all the time, (hopefully mostly unintentionally, but it still counts). So upping it to 1 mala doesn't seem to crazy really.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

kirtu wrote:
padma norbu wrote:

Kirt
Yes, I certainly could, but I will not.

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”