Plant a Bee Garden

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
Qian Zheng Yi

Plant a Bee Garden

Post by Qian Zheng Yi »

From The Honey Bee Conservancy:
http://thehoneybeeconservancy.org/act-t ... ee-garden/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malcolm

Re: Plant a Bee Garden

Post by Malcolm »

Qian Zheng Yi wrote:Image
From The Honey Bee Conservancy:
http://thehoneybeeconservancy.org/act-t ... ee-garden/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fantastic Idea.
Qian Zheng Yi

Post by Qian Zheng Yi »

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Excellent advice.
And if you have the space you might consider keeping a small hive or two.
If you live in the western world most likely there will be someone nearby that can help you start up.
Very often they can help you locate a swarm complete with Queen...and you can spend fascinating hours watching them as they make they way out, and then back loaded with pollen.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Qian Zheng Yi

Post by Qian Zheng Yi »

Thank you!
anikunzang

Post by anikunzang »

i love this link. thank you. i love bees and am saddened that like so many things in this world, we are destroying them :*/
Son

Post by Son »

anikunzang wrote:i love this link. thank you. i love bees and am saddened that like so many things in this world, we are destroying them :*/

I feel that somehow Avalokiteshvara or Kuanyin is somehow the patron for bees, as a hive.
tracefleeman

Post by tracefleeman »

I will attempt this later.
Qian Zheng Yi

Post by Qian Zheng Yi »

i love this link. thank you. i love bees and am saddened that like so many things in this world, we are destroying them :*/
:*/ - great sorrow

thank you all!

goobers

Post by goobers »

I have been trying to do my bit for the poor bumble bees in London in need of food. I have introduced three large pots of lavender and two jasmine plants (pink and white flowers) which are flowering at the moment. Unfortunately, I have yet to see any bees this year. Looks like I ought to add something with much stronger scent and deeper colour to attract their attention.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

U.K. bees are having a particularly bad time this year goobers, a cold and wet summer is not helping.
But if we provide the means, things will improve .

underthetree

Post by underthetree »

Simon E. wrote:U.K. bees are having a particularly bad time this year goobers, a cold and wet summer is not helping.
But if we provide the means, things will improve .
Very true. But the hives I opened today (down here in the south west) were full of life, if not honey. I love beekeeping - I don't have my own hives, but help a neighbour with theirs - though I think that, when I get my own hives, I'll go for top-bar. I find the manipulations needed with the National-type hive are obviously upsetting to the bees, and it's pretty obvious that I'm upsetting a lot of sentient beings as I check the frames.

But it is truly awe-inspiring to open up a hive and hear the life inside, feel the vibration of all those wings. Humbling.
goobers

Post by goobers »

Your last sentence is simply beautiful. :smile:
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I guess I thinking more of the Bumble Bees who are not of course provided with sugar syrup in lean times. The way we can provide for them is as goober suggests planting lots of nectar- rich flowering plants.
Even in pots on patios and balcony's helps.
We live on the top floor of an apartment block and yesterday Bumble Bees were visiting our pots...

goobers

Post by goobers »

Bumble bees have finally arrived! This is the first time I see bumble bees where I am. I am so pleased although there are only two bees on my lavender. Hope more will show up.
Son

Post by Son »

I would image that bumble bees are all making really good karma. As far as animals are concerned.
Qian Zheng Yi

Post by Qian Zheng Yi »

Bumble bees have finally arrived! This is the first time I see bumble bees where I am. I am so pleased although there are only two bees on my lavender. Hope more will show up.
I guess I thinking more of the Bumble Bees who are not of course provided with sugar syrup in lean times. The way we can provide for them is as goober suggests planting lots of nectar- rich flowering plants.
We live on the top floor of an apartment block and yesterday Bumble Bees were visiting our pots...
:applause: :thumbsup: Yay! Wild applause to everyone!!
lobster

Post by lobster »

how wonderful :twothumbsup:
I recently came across a solitary bee whilst doing house repairs.
I stopped work and the next day she and the grubs were gone . . .
Maybe some kind person provided a suitable habitat . . .
http://www.wildlifeworld.co.uk/cproduct ... .php?id=50

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”