Bodhisattvas in Cambodia

Alleviating worldly suffering along the way.

Bodhisattvas in Cambodia

Postby Hanzze » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:26 pm

Dear Friends,

I am living her in Cambodia. Long tradition in Buddhism but less Buddhadhamma. In its blooming times under Jayavarman VII it was Mahayana tradition followed by the people. Many refer Jayavarman VII as an reincarnation of Avalokiteśvara. The Khmer people have also there origin in the Himalaya.

Two questions:

* Do anybody know more about the history of Mahayana in Cambodia? How to give people a profound connection to this (public) unknown tradition?

* Are there serious Mahayana school or are there serious projects in Cambodia? Except some new age gurus I couldn't see any yet. Laypeople her have a lot of interest in meditation and Theravada can not provide this need in lay life very well.

Please see it also as an invitation for Bodhisattva's to work on field.

Thank you :-)
Just that! :-)
Hanzze

Re: Bodhisattvas in Cambodia

Postby Sonrisa » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:48 pm

Hanzze,

My apologies for not contributing anything to your question.

I remember looking into this a few years ago and found pictures of statues of Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva in Cambodia (male form). His name is Lokanat. Im not sure if they found this in Thailand as well.

There is evidence of Mahayana Buddhism in those countries of Southeast Asia as well. Though the Theravada school became the dominant form of Dhamma in that region.

I once read that in Southern Vietnam, even though the monks are of the Mahayana traditions, they wear the robes of Theravada monks. Apparently since that region of Vietnam shares the border with Cambodia and Cambodia used to practice the Mahayana school.

Lokanat (Avalokitesvara) "worship" in Myanmar This is a pdf file.
Namo Amitabha
Namo Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva
Namo Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva

May I continue to practice loving-kindness and compassion for sentient beings. May my friends and loved ones be free from suffering. May those who have hurt me also be free from suffering.

Hatred is like throwing cow dung at someone else. You get dirty first before throwing it to someone else.
Sonrisa

Re: Bodhisattvas in Cambodia

Postby Hanzze » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:19 pm

Dear Sonrisa,

thanks for your help! Bodhisattva are not that attached to clothes and tradition :-) In the south of Vietnam there are many "Khmer krom" (as it was Cambodia not so long ago) that is why there are also Theravada temples and a lot of mix.

Please continue if you have any information :-)
Just that! :-)
Hanzze

Return to Engaged Buddhism